The Student Room Group

Uni. of Leeds Dental Applicants 2012 (Interviews, Offers and Rejections Discussion)

Leeds are sending out interviews week commencing 2nd Jan.
Good luck to everyone who has applied there. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

do they also send out rejections that same week?
Reply 2
i've been reading this forum for a while now, sorry to hear about the leeds rejections! would those users that get an interview be kind enough to post a description of your work experience, voluntary work and extra-curricular activities (along with the duration)? i'm hoping to send off an application this year and am really curious about the way leeds are selecting applicants. it gives me the time and opportunity to work on my application. i am surprised they rejected kartace and jess! :mob:
Reply 3
Original post by ZiZiZi
i've been reading this forum for a while now, sorry to hear about the leeds rejections! would those users that get an interview be kind enough to post a description of your work experience, voluntary work and extra-curricular activities (along with the duration)? i'm hoping to send off an application this year and am really curious about the way leeds are selecting applicants. it gives me the time and opportunity to work on my application. i am surprised they rejected kartace and jess! :mob:

Leeds are too competitve I've just been rejected today
Reply 4
Original post by Fazeel 123
Leeds are too competitve I've just been rejected today

sorry to hear that mate, how is the rest of your application going? that's the reason why i was hoping people who get an interview would post a description of their non-academic stats. it gives me the time and opportunity to work on my application, i do want to apply to leeds as one of my choices, but i'd be happy to get in anywhere. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ZiZiZi
sorry to hear that mate, how is the rest of your application going? that's the reason why i was hoping people who get an interview would post a description of their non-academic stats. it gives me the time and opportunity to work on my application, i do want to apply to leeds as one of my choices, but i'd be happy to get in anywhere. :smile:

Not good been rejected from bristol as well but liverpool and sheffield have no reply
Reply 6
Not good been rejected from bristol as well but liverpool and sheffield have no reply

you still have 25% chance of getting into dental school this year so stay positive, sheffield haven't even started interviews by the look of it. if you're still doing your alevels make sure you get the AAA and reapply, it'll put you in a good position and you will hopefully have more dental experience and voluntary work.
Reply 7
Original post by ZiZiZi
you still have 25% chance of getting into dental school this year so stay positive, sheffield haven't even started interviews by the look of it. if you're still doing your alevels make sure you get the AAA and reapply, it'll put you in a good position and you will hopefully have more dental experience and voluntary work.

Thanks for your encouragement
Reply 8
Original post by ZiZiZi

Leeds like lots of work experience in different areas of dentistry. Also, continual work exp would be beneficial.

Hey, this time last year I'd only had rejections too but I'm a first year at Newcastle now :smile:

Sheffield started giving out their interviews last year in the 3rd week of Jan I think.

Good luck!
Reply 9
I got my invitation today in the post. Booked for the 30th. Anyone else with an interview PM me :smile:
Reply 10
i got an interview today for the 15th of Feb. My extra-curricular stats as you wanted are:
Work Experience - 2 weeks with general dental practitioner & 1 week with a hygienist (you should really get a better variety. I'm amazed they wanted me with my little variation!)
Voluntary week - 1 week in a holiday-home for the elderly & disabled and 8 months at a nursery.
Extra-curricular: Playing tennis (about 5 years), Diploma in Bharathanatyam (an Indian classical dance which I've done for like 10 years) and I used to play the piano but gave up cos I'm ****!

Hope I helped and good luck to everyone!
Just got an interview as well, for the 7th of feb, so looking forward to it. Btw my stats are:
1 week GDP
1 week cosmetic
6 months befriending elderly people
1 month working with disabled children
2 days Cardiology
20 week hospital placement (continuing)
1 week hospital placement shadowing a consultant
Play football, badminton
Useless at piano also :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by shahab2000
Just got an interview as well, for the 7th of feb, so looking forward to it. Btw my stats are:
1 week GDP
1 week cosmetic
2 days Cardiology
Play football, badminton

The bit in bold made me laugh. :lol:
When I first told my brothers that I was befriending elderly people they nearly chocked to death! I'm not surprised you're amused by it as well, that's cool mate!
Reply 14
Hey guys, girls & badmanzz.....just wondering if any of you would like to pm me regarding leeds IV - we can discuscc techniques etc. xx
Original post by jayman

Original post by jayman
I got my invitation today in the post. Booked for the 30th. Anyone else with an interview PM me :smile:

Hey :smile: How are you? I also have an interview for the 21st...yayy me! Have you had any others? :smile:

1 week GDP
1 week cosmetic
2 days Cardiology
Play football, badminton

Good luck with your interview :smile: Mines on the 21st! Sounds like you have done a lot of w/e! :smile:
Original post by ZiZiZi

Original post by ZiZiZi

Leeds is risky...I mean all dental schools are competitive to get into...but leeds gets around 1500 applicants and they narrow that down to 300 for interviews. Just make sure your predictions are all A/A* even if you have to beg your teachers for those predictions. Also, cram your personal statement with A LOT of w/e. Don't just do the standard general dental practice....do w/e with a hygenist, a restorative dentist, go to a dental lab and make some gumshields etc. the list is endless :smile: good luck with your application.
Reply 18
Does anyone know approximately how many offers leeds gives post interview?
Original post by *QueenBeee
Does anyone know approximately how many offers leeds gives post interview?

I've heard around 100/120 not sure though

Quick Reply

Latest