The Student Room Group

Sorta stuck help would be appreciate

Well I need to solve this equation for x but I am baffled

0.5=(e^0.6x + e^-0.6x)/(e^x+e^-x)

Thanks
Reply 1
The substitution y=e^0.4x transforms this into a quintic, of which (y+1) is a spottable factor (the solution y=-1 is extraneous, though). After division, there is a quartic which could be solved by the quartic formula. If this is the expected avenue of solution, it wouldn't seem a very good problem, so perhaps there's a better way.
Reply 2
Are you meant to find the exact value of xx or some approximation to it (for example, using numerical methods)?

In any case, you can write the RHS as cosh3x5coshx\dfrac{\cosh \frac{3x}{5}}{\cosh x}. Alternatively, you can substitute u=e0.2xu=e^{0.2x} and rearrange to obtain the equation u52u32u3+u5=0u^5-2u^3-2u^{-3}+u^{-5}=0, which isn't too hard to solve numerically.
Original post by nuodai
Are you meant to find the exact value of xx or some approximation to it (for example, using numerical methods)?

In any case, you can write the RHS as cosh3x5coshx\dfrac{\cosh \frac{3x}{5}}{\cosh x}. Alternatively, you can substitute u=e0.2xu=e^{0.2x} and rearrange to obtain the equation u52u32u3+u5=0u^5-2u^3-2u^{-3}+u^{-5}=0, which isn't too hard to solve numerically.

Just tells to estimate x
Reply 4
Original post by PeanutButterJellyTime
Just tells to estimate x

Right; in that case a numerical method like iteration would be best. It's quite easy to rearrange one of the expressions I gave above so that you get an iterative formula.
The question is Ca(y)=cosh m(L-y)/cosh(ML) tells me to take x=ml and Ca(y)=0.5 and y=0.4and the cosh relation ship
Original post by nuodai
Right; in that case a numerical method like iteration would be best. It's quite easy to rearrange one of the expressions I gave above so that you get an iterative formula.

This might be a dumb question but why do you make it u=e^0.2?
Reply 7
Original post by PeanutButterJellyTime
This might be a dumb question but why do you make it u=e^0.2?

Because 2 is the highest common factor of 6 and 10, which meant that both e±0.6xe^{\pm 0.6x} and e±xe^{\pm x} could be expressed as integer powers of e0.2xe^{0.2 x}. It just simplifies notation.
Original post by nuodai

You don't need to iterate.

t52t42t+1=(t+1)(t43t3+3t23t+1)t^5-2t^4-2t+1=(t+1)(t^4-3t^3+3t^2-3t+1)

Now deal with the quartic.

Divide through by t2t^2and make the substitution w=t+1tw=t+\frac{1}{t}

Now solve the quadratic in ww.

The two real answers are horribly long logarithms with nested surds but it is quite satisfying to do.

Edit: Just seen that only an estimate is required!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M
You don't need to iterate.

t52t42t+1=(t+1)(t43t3+3t23t+1)t^5-2t^4-2t+1=(t+1)(t^4-3t^3+3t^2-3t+1)

Now deal with the quartic.

Divide through by t2t^2and make the substitution w=t+1tw=t+\frac{1}{t}

Now solve the quadratic in ww.

The two real answers are horribly long logarithms with nested surds but it is quite satisfying to do.

Edit: Just seen that only an estimate is required!

I thought there had to be a better route than the quartic formula. Thanks for pointing it out!

Quick Reply

Latest