The Student Room Group

Pro-life society...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by When you see it...
I've been meaning to reply to this post but couldn't think of a witty enough comeback. How about this:
What is the ratio of male to female foetuses that are aborted?

Why is that at all relevant?
I'd imagine the ratio is different all over the world, sex-selective aborting certainly does exist if that's what you're trying to argue, but in some cultures the ratio will be tipped in the male favour, some in the female favour. Sometimes it's only by pure chance that the ratio tips either way.

What's the point that you're trying to make?
Original post by JohnC2211
Pro-life is a stupid name. Just because you're for abortion doesn't mean you're anti-life.

Equally from the opposite point of view, 'Pro-Choice' seems equally stupid; they argue that the baby has no choice in the matter, that from their point of view 'choice' is just another word for 'killing'.

Works both ways; it's just semantics and they're just titles for people to stand under.
Reply 62
I didn't notice a logical fallacy there...
Anyway, I know what sapience is and your argument that a baby is more sapient than a foetus just doesn't make sense to me. You are saying that it is more sapient because it can develop the ability to be sapient.
I'm sorry what?
So can a foetus - that is the point. Your argument just doesn't make sense to me...

You misinterpreted my point. I did not anything really equatable to what you said, but I shall rephrase to try and better get my point across :smile:

A baby is partially sapient. It can not only feel (sentience) but can also make decisions according to logic. (Due to the fact that firing neurons are different logic gates or memory cells in every configuration possible). An early foetus cannot do this and therefore is not sapient. Late term foetuses have a much stronger possibility to be sapient on some level and so I say aborting them is wrong, however up until VERY late in pregnancy, neurons have not developed and started functioning in any way that would make them describable as sapient.

I would happily change my views provided a person could show me empirical evidence that a zygote, blastocyst, embryo or early term foetus had higher cognitive functions and demonstrated logic-based reactions.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Why is that at all relevant?
I'd imagine the ratio is different all over the world, sex-selective aborting certainly does exist if that's what you're trying to argue, but in some cultures the ratio will be tipped in the male favour, some in the female favour. Sometimes it's only by pure chance that the ratio tips either way.

What's the point that you're trying to make?

I was replying to a post implying that those who oppose abortion were insensetive to women's rights, an I was making the point that both male and female foetuses are aborted (the actual ratio is irrelevant), so it is silly to say that abortion is good for women.
Original post by Skeletorfw
You misinterpreted my point. I did not anything really equatable to what you said, but I shall rephrase to try and better get my point across :smile:

A baby is partially sapient. It can not only feel (sentience) but can also make decisions according to logic. (Due to the fact that firing neurons are different logic gates or memory cells in every configuration possible). An early foetus cannot do this and therefore is not sapient. Late term foetuses have a much stronger possibility to be sapient on some level and so I say aborting them is wrong, however up until VERY late in pregnancy, neurons have not developed and started functioning in any way that would make them describable as sapient.

I would happily change my views provided a person could show me empirical evidence that a zygote, blastocyst, embryo or early term foetus had higher cognitive functions and demonstrated logic-based reactions.

I know, I get that part of your viewpoint, but before you said something like "babies have the potential to become fully developed, therefore it is wrong to kill them but okay to kill foetuses" and I still don't see how that makes sense.
Personally, I am always pro-choice, however, that never means pro-abortion. I just believe that if it is the woman who has to carry the child for nine months and bring a baby into the world, it should be her and the father's, if he is involved, choice whether they want to continue the pregnancy or not and provide the child the basic necessities it deserves.
Reply 66
There was no mention of the morning after pill in our debate.

But the point I was responding to asked me about the MAP

You cannot reasonably argue a point without having a comprehensive knowlege of the relevant facts.

Again I know about philosophy.

Guilt implies a knowledge of a wrong done. I have done no wrong therefore there is no guilt here.

This is pedantry beyond belief and is not even true. Guilt = The fact of being responsible for the commission of an offense. Which requires no knowledges.

Reductio ad absurdum in general application is a logical fallacy. This is due to the fact that you push the point to the limit where it is no longer considered a point as it is in the absurd (as in beyond belief or logical reason).

No it merely is used to show an argument has absurd logical conclusions. It is one of the major ways to disprove arguments. Hardly a logical fallcy! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

The moral differences were not a point we were arguing and so in your style I will refuse to acknowledge it as a point.

We were hardly arguing anything. Kabloomybuzz and I were arguing about personhood which involves morality at least in the consequence (i.e. people have moral worth).

The ability to feel pain is a PART of personhood, not the only part. However please explain how this point alone has any relevance to my belief that Abortion should be legal before sapience has begun its development and not after?

Again this argument was not made to me. I will in fact quote the entirety of the post you responded to me:

Honestly if you don't know about a subject, don't debate about it. You end up out of your depth and it kinda devalues any original point you might have had.

Also your argument "So the killing of an infant isn't murder. They aren't 'fully formed'." is a very good example of the logical fallacy referred to as "reductio ad absurdum". What you have done is to take what has been said and reduced it to something too basic, something that wasn't intended. You cherry-picked the words "fully-formed" and used a different interpretation of them as a way of proving a point when in fact all you did was weaken any point you may have been attempting to get across)

There is literally no argument in there at all. Only misunderstanding of terms and attacking me for not knowing exactly what interpretation of 'fully formed' they were going for.

As for your belief that abortion should be legal before sapience I would inquire as to whether mentally retarded people count as persons? Does Stephen Hawking have higher moral worth than you?
Reply 67
Original post by ScheduleII
Rape does not justify killing the baby because it is INNOCENT.

Think about what your saying.

Due to your post being negged, that shows people agree with me.

If you have an abortion before 12 weeks, it's not 'killing a baby' IMHO.
Reply 68
Does this really need its own society?
I was replying to a post implying that those who oppose abortion were insensetive to women's rights, an I was making the point that both male and female foetuses are aborted (the actual ratio is irrelevant), so it is silly to say that abortion is good for women.

So I clicked on on the society, and I believe it is 100% male? The point she's trying to make is that it's all fair and good men opposing it because they don't have to carry the child and taking care of the child will probably fall on the woman anyway.

And to mention the stupid graphic you use to represent the society.
Ever notice how everyone who opposes abortion has already been born? :rolleyes:

Your reasoning seems to be missing a step. I'm not quite following your argument.

P1: Male and female foetuses are both aborted
C: Abortion isn't good for women.

Can you see how this is an illogical jump?

I don't feel it is moral to try to take away the choice a woman has in having children. Every person under the Human Rights Act has a clear cut right to a family, surely this should extend to a right to NOT have a family?

I believe if a woman isn't ready for a child, or just plain doesn't want a child, she should be able to abort the pregnancy. It's the woman's choice and I firmly believe all the power of choice should land with the woman. There's the big ethical and legal grey area about the power the man should have in abortion, but I believe the man should have no say in whether his wife has an abortion or not. Of course I believe the couple should talk about it to come to the best decision, and a good man would recognise how it is his wife's choice and support her in her decision. But let's assume a situation where the woman is 100% "wants abortion" and the male is 100% "doesn't want abortion." I believe the woman should be able to have the abortion without fear of consequences, unfortunately, in such a situation there probably will be.

I know that last paragraph isn't exactly relevant, but I'm just throwing in another paragraph to let you know where I stand in the "Pro-Choice" thing. :tongue:
So I clicked on on the society, and I believe it is 100% male?

only because I CBA joining :wink:
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
only because I CBA joining :wink:

Join...even if you don't want to get involved in any more debates it would be good to have a non- Y chromosome presence on the society. We will just get more negs if it's all male.
So I clicked on on the society, and I believe it is 100% male? The point she's trying to make is that it's all fair and good men opposing it because they don't have to carry the child and taking care of the child will probably fall on the woman anyway.

Your reasoning seems to be missing a step. I'm not quite following your argument.

I don't feel it is moral to try to take away the choice a woman has in having children. Every person under the Human Rights Act has a clear cut right to a family, surely this should extend to a right to NOT have a family?

I believe if a woman isn't ready for a child, or just plain doesn't want a child, she should be able to abort the pregnancy. It's the woman's choice and I firmly believe all the power of choice should land with the woman. There's the big ethical and legal grey area about the power the man should have in abortion, but I believe the man should have no say in whether his wife has an abortion or not. Of course I believe the couple should talk about it to come to the best decision, and a good man would recognise how it is his wife's choice and support her in her decision. But let's assume a situation where the woman is 100% "wants abortion" and the male is 100% "doesn't want abortion." I believe the woman should be able to have the abortion without fear of consequences, unfortunately, in such a situation there probably will be.

I know that last paragraph isn't exactly relevant, but I'm just throwing in another paragraph to let you know where I stand in the "Pro-Choice" thing. :tongue:

Not at all. :confused:
Are you serious, you can't see where I'm coming from?
Your entire post doesn't take into account the fact that some people believe foetuses to have the same rights as fully-formed people, which would make it wrong to kill them regardless of whether it would bring comfort to the mother. That is all it is - comfort (because once it is born it can be sent to a care home, so stopping the women from having an abortion is not exactly forcing her to raise a child. All abortion achieves is bringing comfort to the mother).
Also, I don't personally appreciate any arguments about 'right to a family' etc. because IMO, the family unit is a stupid idea and children should be raised communally.
You just generally seem a little out of touch with viewpoints that oppose yours.
EDIT:
That is two quotes there. Oh well...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by orcprocess
But the point I was responding to asked me about the MAP

Think we were talking at cross purposes here then.

Again I know about philosophy.

When debating an issue that is about an entirely biological process (pregnancy and nervous development in foetuses), you have to understand the biology behind it. If you don't you cannot possibly make an informed deciion as to the ethics related to it.

If we were for example debating about the ethics of a certain piece of legislation that bans violence in self defence (just a random example off the top of my head). I would HAVE to know the wording, background and relevant cases in UK law before I could make an informed decision as to my moral position on it.

This is pedantry beyond belief and is not even true. Guilt = The fact of being responsible for the commission of an offense. Which requires no knowledges.

I apologise, it was late and I misread it.

No it merely is used to show an argument has absurd logical conclusions. It is one of the major ways to disprove arguments. Hardly a logical fallcy! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

In general usage it is a fallacy as for the most part it takes things to unreasonable extremes and then attempts to use that to back up a statement that if it does not work in extremes it cannot work in moderation.

Another example of this would be if you said "explosions can be good because they are the basis of internal combustion engines" and then I say "many people are killed by massive explosions and therefore explosions are always bad"

Here explosions in moderation are positive, but in the extreme are negative.

We were hardly arguing anything. Kabloomybuzz and I were arguing about personhood which involves morality at least in the consequence (i.e. people have moral worth).

Not quite sure about this one but if we're not arguing on the point I guess that makes it moot to us.

There is literally no argument in there at all. Only misunderstanding of terms and attacking me for not knowing exactly what interpretation of 'fully formed' they were going for.

I attacked your argument, pointing out that there were two main interpretations of "fully formed" that you could have used, and rather than use the one most likely for the opponent to use; fully formed = fully formed as a functioning organism, you used the interpretation; fully formed = an adult human being.

As for your belief that abortion should be legal before sapience I would inquire as to whether mentally retarded people count as persons? Does Stephen Hawking have higher moral worth than you?

They are still sapient. If they are not they are legally classified as dead.

I know, I get that part of your viewpoint, but before you said something like "babies have the potential to become fully developed, therefore it is wrong to kill them but okay to kill foetuses" and I still don't see how that makes sense.

Merely a late term foetus and a baby have begun the development of sapience. They are sapient, but not on a level of an adult human. An early foetus has not started this and therefore can, in my eyes, be aborted.

Basically the rule I go by is don't kill sapient beings.
Reply 74

When debating an issue that is about an entirely biological process (pregnancy and nervous development in foetuses), you have to understand the biology behind it. If you don't you cannot possibly make an informed deciion as to the ethics related to it.

If we were for example debating about the ethics of a certain piece of legislation that bans violence in self defence (just a random example off the top of my head). I would HAVE to know the wording, background and relevant cases in UK law before I could make an informed decision as to my moral position on it.

I know the facts well enough but thank you for your concern.

In general usage it is a fallacy as for the most part it takes things to unreasonable extremes and then attempts to use that to back up a statement that if it does not work in extremes it cannot work in moderation.

Another example of this would be if you said "explosions can be good because they are the basis of internal combustion engines" and then I say "many people are killed by massive explosions and therefore explosions are always bad"

Here explosions in moderation are positive, but in the extreme are negative.

No in your example the 1st statement isn't contradicted by the second and it just isn't a reducto ad absurdum.

From Wikipedia:

Proposition: "Lowering taxation rates always results in increased tax revenue."

"If taxes were lowered to 0%, no taxes at all would be collected. Zero will always be less revenue than even the lowest non-zero tax rate would produce, thus the proposition is false."

This is a reducto ad absurdum argument, it takes the proposition's conclusions and applies and shows it false.

I attacked your argument, pointing out that there were two main interpretations of "fully formed" that you could have used, and rather than use the one most likely for the opponent to use; fully formed = fully formed as a functioning organism, you used the interpretation; fully formed = an adult human being.

The idea of an adult human being counting as 'fully formed' seemed more natural use of the language, however I assumed that's what they were getting at and so inquired about infants in the hope of a fuller explanation.

They are still sapient. If they are not they are legally classified as dead.

If we are using it as interchangeable with wisdom then they are not. How would you define sapience?
Reply 75
I know the facts well enough but thank you for your concern.

Fair play mate. If you do then you do certainly have a place to argue from

No in your example the 1st statement isn't contradicted by the second and it just isn't a reducto ad absurdum.

From Wikipedia:

Proposition: "Lowering taxation rates always results in increased tax revenue."

"If taxes were lowered to 0%, no taxes at all would be collected. Zero will always be less revenue than even the lowest non-zero tax rate would produce, thus the proposition is false."

This is a reducto ad absurdum argument, it takes the proposition's conclusions and applies and shows it false.

Still pretty sure it is a form reductio ad absurdum argument as you reduced it to an absurd level and then used that in an attempt to disprove the argument. I'll concede it's not a fallacy in itself, but the way you used it I'd still consider it to be a flawed argument.

The idea of an adult human being counting as 'fully formed' seemed more natural use of the language, however I assumed that's what they were getting at and so inquired about infants in the hope of a fuller explanation.

If it was just an honest misinterpretation, then that's fair, though again I cannot accept the argument as valid as it did rely on that interpretation of "fully formed".

If we are using it as interchangeable with wisdom then they are not. How would you define sapience?

Sapience is often defined as intelligence, however I prefer the definition as being able to absorb knowledge and make conscious decisions from it in a logical framework. To me sapience is not an absolute thing, but it can not exist in an organism.
Honestly though it's new years day and I'm in a good mood, I'm a kinda done with arguing pro-life/pro-choice but it has been a good debate.
Cheers :smile:
Reply 76

Still pretty sure it is a form reductio ad absurdum argument as you reduced it to an absurd level and then used that in an attempt to disprove the argument. I'll concede it's not a fallacy in itself, but the way you used it I'd still consider it to be a flawed argument.

I don't think it is so much reducing the argument to an absurd level but showing that the argument has absurd conclusions which is a very popular argument.

If it was just an honest misinterpretation, then that's fair, though again I cannot accept the argument as valid as it did rely on that interpretation of "fully formed".

No under your definition of 'fully formed' then certainly it would not be a valid counter-example.

Sapience is often defined as intelligence, however I prefer the definition as being able to absorb knowledge and make conscious decisions from it in a logical framework. To me sapience is not an absolute thing, but it can not exist in an organism.

Well it seems to me that many mentally retarded people are not sapient at all under this definition.
Not at all. :confused:
Are you serious, you can't see where I'm coming from?
Your entire post doesn't take into account the fact that some people believe foetuses to have the same rights as fully-formed people, which would make it wrong to kill them regardless of whether it would bring comfort to the mother. That is all it is - comfort (because once it is born it can be sent to a care home, so stopping the women from having an abortion is not exactly forcing her to raise a child. All abortion achieves is bringing comfort to the mother).
Also, I don't personally appreciate any arguments about 'right to a family' etc. because IMO, the family unit is a stupid idea and children should be raised communally.
You just generally seem a little out of touch with viewpoints that oppose yours.
EDIT:
That is two quotes there. Oh well...

I'm not out of touch of other people's viewpoints. I'm fully aware of the arguments opposing abortion.

I'm making a post arguing my opinion, why would you possibly expect me to argue in favour of other people's viewpoints? :rolleyes:
Would be pretty stupid in a debate if Richard Dawkins started telling you why God could exist.

You also failed to explain the jump. I stated how I believed it was illogical, you said it wasn't, failed to explain why though.
I'm fully aware that you may believe a foetus has the same rights as a fully grown human, or any variation in strength of this statement. I'm just addressing points you made, rather than viewpoints you might hold that you haven't stated - that would be clinging at strawmen.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ScheduleII
I am a card-carrying pro lifer, so am in.

I take it you also oppose the death penalty, war and euthanasia then.
Original post by The Socktor
I take it you also oppose the death penalty, war and euthanasia then.

1) only acceptable in extreme circumstances
2) just war is not murder. Pro life is against murder not against killing- killing to defend yourself or your country isn't murder. In the same way abortion to save your own life isn't murder but there are few cases where modern medicine can save the mother but not the baby.
3) yes, I am against it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending