The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Original post by apassingfeeling
There will be a big Endcliffe/Ranmooor Facebook group when everyone finds out where they'll be and if you put your flat number in there you'll easily find people. Everyone wants to be nosy before they go :wink: Although there will always be that one person who isn't on Facebook/hasn't found the group and you're all left wondering about them...!

OMG haha! Cannot wait for that! :biggrin:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 321
Original post by dmccririck

It gets annoying when your flatmates don't make themselves known though! :tongue:

Also be careful if you find a private facebook group with your flat number, make sure it is not a previous years.

I made this mistake; I got myself all excited because I thought that all my flatmates were girls. :frown:
Original post by Roxas
Hey, another slightly odd question from me again :biggrin:

I've never lived somewhere with more then a few thousand people in the whole town, let alone one village in the city!

Is it noticeable how big Sheffield is to anyone coming from a more rural small place? Another thing I'm also worried about is gettin lost, I think someone stole my sense of direction because mine is shockingly bad.

How long was it before you felt comfortable trekking around Sheffield? :smile:

Along with what the OP said, the Uni do lots of city tours as well as Fresher welcome tours so that you know where you are going and can get your bearings for the weeks to come. Really recommend it and it's a good opportunity to meet new people as well.
Original post by Tpx
Also be careful if you find a private facebook group with your flat number, make sure it is not a previous years.

I made this mistake; I got myself all excited because I thought that all my flatmates were girls. :frown:

How do people know who to invite the facebook group though? And who creates it?
Reply 325

I used TSR and people posted their flat name and number on here. Some people then create a FB group, but my flatmates and I just added each other really. :smile:

I think that this group was created once they had started uni, by one of the students.

When you get your room and flat number you just need to browse the Endcliffe/Ranmoor/City facebook groups and this subforum. Judging by last year, it seemed at least half the flats had at least one person posting.
Reply 327
Ive always wondered this, god i find it so facinating, but how many types of trains do you see near the sheffield campus. Im an ardent train spotter you see.
Reply 328
Also, you can find your future flatmates on "Endcliffe 2011-2012" or 2012 to 2013 etc, on FB, people also post on there. :smile:
Original post by lizolove
Also, you can find your future flatmates on "Endcliffe 2011-2012" or 2012 to 2013 etc, on FB, people also post on there. :smile:

Hey,

I don't really feel like adding my facebook profile to one of those groups yet... it's really inactive and has some things from my past which I'd rather not display to people who I've just met, so would I be left out if I didn't add my profile until I went to uni or just before?
Reply 330
Original post by Straight up G
Hey,

I don't really feel like adding my facebook profile to one of those groups yet... it's really inactive and has some things from my past which I'd rather not display to people who I've just met, so would I be left out if I didn't add my profile until I went to uni or just before?

Not at all. Just chat to people on FB through messages, and then they don't have to see your profile. Alternatively, people also chat on here, so don't worry about that. At the end of the day though, you will be living with them, so add them, you have nothing to lose! (:

Good luck! x
Reply 331
Are you able to live off just your loan if you get enough grant? Accommodation is like 5k a year isn't it, which will use up most of your maintenance loan and grant? I got full EMA at sixth form so I'd think I'd get a decent maintenance grant.
Reply 332
Original post by Aeyuin
Are you able to live off just your loan if you get enough grant? Accommodation is like 5k a year isn't it, which will use up most of your maintenance loan and grant? I got full EMA at sixth form so I'd think I'd get a decent maintenance grant.

You will, but you'll soon learn that as a student, loans don't cover enough. I mean, I am receiving the second higher amount I believe (separated parents), and my loan is yet to come through (long story!), so I know how awful it is to afford things...

My parents have attempted to mutually pay for some of my accommodation (since my loan came in only 2 weeks ago) and I'm having trouble with things. You just need to learn to be sensible with money really, but I personally feel it's too little. I mean, before my loan, I had to rely on my savings and a lot of people I know do the same. My advice to you would to be to save as much money as you can now, and ignore asking for a new phone or whatever for your birthday, and just save money. :smile:

It sucks having limited money, but I guess that's part of the student life!
Having helpful parents/a spare account of money (like I did) really help, so that's my advice. :smile:
Reply 333
If you put sheffield as an insurance are you likely to get accomodation? and if you do is it likely it will have to be a shared room like many other unis?
Original post by topiwopi
If you put sheffield as an insurance are you likely to get accomodation? and if you do is it likely it will have to be a shared room like many other unis?

All first-years are guaranteed accommodation, so if you do end up coming to Sheffield, you'll have no trouble getting a place to live!

However as Sheffield is your insurance, you'll basically be put where there's space, most likely a Ranmoor room, or a shared bathroom in Endcliffe.
Reply 335
Original post by topiwopi

Most likely, but I know of a girl who didn't, so it depends really. There is no guarantee really.
No rooms in this university are shared.
- Also, if you don't get into university accommodation, the university arrange a day for you to meet others in the same situation and offer various properties you can rent, so you won't have to go alone and find a house and people to live independently.
Reply 336
All first-years are guaranteed accommodation, so if you do end up coming to Sheffield, you'll have no trouble getting a place to live!

However as Sheffield is your insurance, you'll basically be put where there's space, most likely a Ranmoor room, or a shared bathroom in Endcliffe.

This isn't true! All who put it as a firm are guaranteed accommodation, but there is no guarantee for people who put it as their insurance (as I mentioned above). :smile:
It is likely you will, but there is a chance that you won't.
Original post by lizolove
This isn't true! All who put it as a firm are guaranteed accommodation, but there is no guarantee for people who put it as their insurance (as I mentioned above). :smile:
It is likely you will, but there is a chance that you won't.

This is what it says on the website:

Undergraduates are guaranteed a single-occupancy study bedroom in University or partnership accommodation during your first year, if you:

Are a studying on a full-time course

Are coming alone to Sheffield for a full academic year, from 17 September 2012 to 8 June 2013

Make the University of Sheffield your firm choice if applying through UCAS

Accept an offer of an academic place on a course at the University of Sheffield by 6 July 2012

Hold an unconditional firmly accepted offer at the University of Sheffield by 31 August 2012

http://www.shef.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective/apply/guarantee
Reply 338
This is what it says on the website:

Undergraduates are guaranteed a single-occupancy study bedroom in University or partnership accommodation during your first year, if you:

Are a studying on a full-time course

Are coming alone to Sheffield for a full academic year, from 17 September 2012 to 8 June 2013

Make the University of Sheffield your firm choice if applying through UCAS

Accept an offer of an academic place on a course at the University of Sheffield by 6 July 2012

Hold an unconditional firmly accepted offer at the University of Sheffield by 31 August 2012

http://www.shef.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective/apply/guarantee

My friend and her housemate met these conditions, and they told her there was no room in the accommodation, so maybe it's down to numbers.
Perhaps she was the unfortunate one then. I doubt it'll happen to anybody, but there is a tiny chance, unless they've changed their way of handling things since last year. :smile:
Reply 339
aah thankyou, just because some places say you are unlikely to get it, or will have to share a room with someone else which i wasn't to keen on haha! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending