The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by millo92
Hey I'm a firm Int. Relations & Politics at Sheffield! :biggrin: I'm Italian and I'm hoping to get a full loan to pay for my education. I however will have to pay for the whole 5.7k£ for a ensuite Endcliffe. I just wanted to know how and when do you have to pay the accomodation amount? (eg. all at once, monthly basis, etc.)

P.S Thanks for this thread! I wasn't really excited about Sheffield (only offer i got) but now it seems quite a good place! :biggrin:

It's an amazing place, honestly, you'll love it!
Congrats on your place here!

Is accommodation £5.7k this year? You may be right, but this year it was £4.6k for an ensuite. :smile:
Yeah, payments are in 3 loads, October, January and April. They are scheduled to be paid to the university a few days after money from student finance comes into your account, so you should have few issues. :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 381
Original post by millo92
Thanks so much Bobbler! The 3 installments news shall be a relief for my parents haha.

Oh btw are there discounts for Uni students? I'm planning to get a new laptop (maybe a phone too), should I wait till I come to Uni? :biggrin:

Thanks once again!

I'd wait until university.
I hear you get 8% off at Apple as a uni student (on Macbooks/laptops)
You get 3% off iPads too, but nothing off iPhones.

As a student, you also get 20% off at NewLook, 10% off at ASOS.COM and a few others, so just look out for the student discount signs. :smile:

As for laptops, I'd wait for a newer model and sort it out just before university. Maybe save up and opt for a better one. I got a not too good one for my birthday, (£360) and it's dying. ):
I feel it'd be better to get one that would last longer, but it looks as if I will be needing a new one in October. ):
Original post by lizolove
It's an amazing place, honestly, you'll love it!
Congrats on your place here!

Is accommodation £5.7k this year? You may be right, but this year it was £4.6k for an ensuite. :smile:
Yeah, payments are in 3 loads, October, January and April. They are scheduled to be paid to the university a few days after money from student finance comes into your account, so you should have few issues. :smile:

I'm paying 4.7K for ensuite, ranmoor. 42 week contract.
Reply 383
Hi :smile: I'm not sure if this has already been asked but is there any particular accommodation that is recommended for student nurses?
EEE? They're the grades you need?! That doesn't sound right!
Well, my friend got into Imperial and found that on the open day it wasn't for him, so went to Manchester. :smile:
Each to their own, but you have to be aware that debt for London will be substantially higher if you go there. Apparently drinks are expensive too, so nights out will burn holes in your pockets or aren't likely to exist. D:
My friend went to a reasonably cheap place, and two single vodka and cokes were £9!
In a Chinese restaurant, a can of diet coke was £1.80 for me. |;

Original post by ArtGoblin
EEE is Electronic and Electrical Engineering. :tongue:

Ahaha yes, I meant Electrical Eng. How wonderful life would be if we needed Es and not As. :biggrin: Anyway, the EEE Dept is pretty highly ranked in Sheffield, but rankings aside, does anyone know what's the dept like? :biggrin: I'd love to visit Open Days- they seem like the best way to decide! But I'm an international-ie.

Oh my, add them all up together, that's a whole lot of money! I won't even qualify for loans. :frown:
Reply 385
Original post by bonbon055
Hi :smile: I'm not sure if this has already been asked but is there any particular accommodation that is recommended for student nurses?

Not really no, sorry! It's all down to personal preference really.
Some details of each accommodation can be found on previous pages. :smile:
This might seem like a bit of an odd question...

What are the recycling facilities like in Endcliffe/Ranmoor, and Sheffield in general? I'm not some kind of eco-warrior, but down here in Cambridge, we recycle an awful lot, and it would be really weird not to!
Original post by okthefolkie

What are the recycling facilities like in Endcliffe/Ranmoor, and Sheffield in general? I'm not some kind of eco-warrior, but down here in Cambridge, we recycle an awful lot, and it would be really weird not to!

In Endcliffe they take everything but Tetra Paks if I remember correctly. Sheffield is crap with Tetra Paks in general - there's only two places in the whole city that recycles them so I had to take six months worth of them for a two mile walk to get rid of them. And my housemates drink a lot of juice! The council don't take any other plastic than bottles which is annoying, but I think we used to recycle them in Endcliffe. Students in general are awful at recycling and I was forever fishing things out of bins and putting them in the right place.
Reply 388
Original post by okthefolkie

The university is very eco-friendly and is constantly doing more to try and boost their levels of it. In all departments, there are recycling bins located everywhere, and in the student union, whilst there are also recycling bins in the accommodation. The university also runs various student competitions to encourage students to turn off heating whilst they are away/not using it, to turn lights off and to boil water at levels they need rather than any excess. In return, students get Ben and Jerry's and various other prizes! I believe the flat with the lowest emissions also gets a party on behalf of the university, so it has encouraged quite a few people to get involved. :smile:

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 389
Original post by RMW1994
Hey! Thanks for doing this thread,i've been looking at it and you've answered loads of questions I had. But I was just wondering how much interaction first years have with the second and third? or whether you rarely see anyone who's not a fresher etc :/ Thanks!X

I have found that I have mixed a lot more than expected with different years but this is because I have joined a tight knit sailing team where I now have my closest friends who are in their second, third and fourth years. I also have my closest friends on my course who are in their first year like me but you get to know the other years on your course too when on socials with the societies etc.

I'd say if you join a sports society or an activity you will definitely make friends in other years and if not, you will meet them briefly on your course but not as much. It is all up to how you choose to spend your time really. I know people who don't do any activities or extra-curricular stuff and just mix with their closest friends in their year on their course and then there are others, like me, who spend almost as much time in Crookes with the second and third years as I do at home in Endcliffe!
Reply 390
Original post by AmiB
I have found that I have mixed a lot more than expected with different years but this is because I have joined a tight knit sailing team where I now have my closest friends who are in their second, third and fourth years. I also have my closest friends on my course who are in their first year like me but you get to know the other years on your course too when on socials with the societies etc.

I'd say if you join a sports society or an activity you will definitely make friends in other years and if not, you will meet them briefly on your course but not as much. It is all up to how you choose to spend your time really. I know people who don't do any activities or extra-curricular stuff and just mix with their closest friends in their year on their course and then there are others, like me, who spend almost as much time in Crookes with the second and third years as I do at home in Endcliffe!

Ooh so like mainly through societies and stuff,hmm that makes sense! I'm not like aiming to go there and be friends with the other years but i guess it would be nice cause they've obviously been through it all etc! I am planning on joining the sociology society and maybe the zumba one so i'm sure that should be a good opportunity :biggrin: I'm well excited to go to Sheffield haha,seems like its gonna be awesome,now just to get the grades! But thanks for the answer :smile:
Reply 391
Hi! :smile:

I am a French student who will come at the University of Sheffield as an undergraduate for the first semester of next scholar year (2012/2013). I have read a lot of great comments about the local Uni accommodations but I have a question about that:
are these accommodations only for students who come for a full year?

And if so, do you know any other student accommodations I could apply for my semester? Because I have heard about the Pinnacles but I read a lot of bad comments about it...

Thank you for you post which is really helpful :smile:
Procrastinating from work, bored out of my mind, so here it goes...

I'm a First Year at the University of Sheffield, ask me a question if you wish.
I can answer about accommodation, changing subjects and a load of other things, so go for it, however silly the question! :smile:
Any concerns about the university, applying to it or anything, whether it be how popular courses are, opportunities available, general atmosphere, freshers week or even grades or special circumstances upon getting in, ask me!

do you know anyone who studies medicine ? ... im trying to get an idea of shefield and leeds courses to compare and i would like to know what shefield is like ...

also give me your opinion on leeds vs shefield ?? which in your opinion is better ( probably shefield though :L )
Reply 393
Would you recommend Endcliffe for international students? I have a conditional offer to do Town Planning this Sept. From previous discussions, I note that there are buses running between the campus and Endcliff Village. Do you know which buildings (Endcliff) have easy access to the nearest bus stop? Can't imagine myself having a long walk in thick snow during the winter!!

By the way, do you know anyone doing Town Planning (Geography Dept) at Sheffield? Have not made up my mind to choose either Manchester Uni or Birmingham Uni.
Hey lizolove, can you give me some information about Computer Science Department and the course in University of Sheffield in general. Like how good are the teaching standards, is it a hard course, how many students they take each year, is the employment rate high after graduation etc... Thanksim looking forward to ur answer.
Original post by techno836
do you know anyone who studies medicine ? ... im trying to get an idea of shefield and leeds courses to compare and i would like to know what shefield is like ...

also give me your opinion on leeds vs shefield ?? which in your opinion is better ( probably shefield though :L )

I live with third year medics and they seem to really like the course, they get a lot of patient contact time which is a big bonus. Only downside is that they do seem to be sent to really distant places at the moment like Worksop, Grimsby and Rotherham which can be a bit stressful but I imagine that the situation is similar to Leeds. I vaguely remember someone get a radiography offer there from school and turning it down because they would have to spend a lot of time in Scarborough.
Original post by InesM_92
Hi! :smile:

I am a French student who will come at the University of Sheffield as an undergraduate for the first semester of next scholar year (2012/2013). I have read a lot of great comments about the local Uni accommodations but I have a question about that:
are these accommodations only for students who come for a full year?

And if so, do you know any other student accommodations I could apply for my semester? Because I have heard about the Pinnacles but I read a lot of bad comments about it...

Thank you for you post which is really helpful :smile:

I was friends with a German ERASMUS student who lived in Endcliffe last year only until February, so it's definitely fine :smile: She was placed with lots of other international students in her flat so that was pretty cool.
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
I live with third year medics and they seem to really like the course, they get a lot of patient contact time which is a big bonus. Only downside is that they do seem to be sent to really distant places at the moment like Worksop, Grimsby and Rotherham which can be a bit stressful but I imagine that the situation is similar to Leeds. I vaguely remember someone get a radiography offer there from school and turning it down because they would have to spend a lot of time in Scarborough.

Original post by Chapeau Rouge

Original post by techno836

Rotherham? Far away? Nonsense! Get down to Sheffield City Centre and catch the train for a 10-15min journey, X78 for a slightly longer one. Then it's roughly a 30min walk from Rotherham Town Centre to the hospital, or catch a bus for a shorter one. Worksop, Grimsby and Scarborough I can understand, but Rotherham General is no problem. I've lived next to it for eighteen years, I know that route pretty well. :tongue:
Original post by Hannahbal
Rotherham? Far away? Nonsense! Get down to Sheffield City Centre and catch the train for a 10-15min journey, X78 for a slightly longer one. Then it's roughly a 30min walk from Rotherham Town Centre to the hospital, or catch a bus for a shorter one. Worksop, Grimsby and Scarborough I can understand, but Rotherham General is no problem. I've lived next to it for eighteen years, I know that route pretty well. :tongue:

Hah, but being told you have to spend six weeks in Grimsby like one of my friends is rather annoying...

Latest

Trending

Trending