The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by marianne93
Thanks so much :smile: I feel reassured now, it's not that I'm unsociable at all but I like my sleep and want to work hard too :smile:
Having said that, I guess everyone at uni has that same mindset so it shouldn't be an issue :smile:)))

It should make you feel better to know that your first year's marks don't count towards your overall degree, so provided you pass, you never look back at the marks again. Kind of makes the first year feel pointless actually. :frown:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by lizolove
ask me!

Hi! I've firmed for Law with French, so how is it for you as a law student and getting to lectures etc? I'm not exactly a punctual person so I'm a bit worried about the distance of accommodation to the uni itself... (although maybe it's a good thing, I need to learn at some point :tongue:)

Also, I'm guessing from reading through you're self catered? Is it a pain sometimes at all or do you like it?

Are we most likely to get what we put as our first choice? I'm not sure what to put as my second choice, so if I chose Endcliffe what would you say is the most similar to it for a 2nd choice?

Reply 442
Original post by Retro.spex
Hi! I've firmed for Law with French, so how is it for you as a law student and getting to lectures etc? I'm not exactly a punctual person so I'm a bit worried about the distance of accommodation to the uni itself... (although maybe it's a good thing, I need to learn at some point :tongue:)

Also, I'm guessing from reading through you're self catered? Is it a pain sometimes at all or do you like it?

Are we most likely to get what we put as our first choice? I'm not sure what to put as my second choice, so if I chose Endcliffe what would you say is the most similar to it for a 2nd choice?

Congrats on your place!
Law is great here. All support is provided, you won't be disappointed. Lectures for me are on Mondays and Tuesdays, that's it. Although I have one on a Friday for part of this term now.
To walk to the union (where most Law lectures are) it is 20 mins max. If you're worried, you can always catch a bus or cycle, many people do. It's about 5 minutes without bad traffic if you cycle.
Lots of students turn up late, so you'll be fine if you're a tad late. Uni is different from school, you won't get in trouble for being late or missing it.

Self-catering is the best option I think. Catering is more costly and you have to be awake for certain times etc to get food. E.g. early on a Saturday... bad if you're nursing a hangover!
Endcliffe is the best I believe, followed by Ranmoor (just a mini Endcliffe) and then Opal, more central and different. I think on your application you can choose if you would prefer to have your room choice in another village or be in the same village with a different room type in the worst case scenario.
You should get your first choice provided you send off your accommodation application asap.
Congrats on your place!
Law is great here. All support is provided, you won't be disappointed. Lectures for me are on Mondays and Tuesdays, that's it. Although I have one on a Friday for part of this term now.
To walk to the union (where most Law lectures are) it is 20 mins max. If you're worried, you can always catch a bus or cycle, many people do. It's about 5 minutes without bad traffic if you cycle.
Lots of students turn up late, so you'll be fine if you're a tad late. Uni is different from school, you won't get in trouble for being late or missing it.

Self-catering is the best option I think. Catering is more costly and you have to be awake for certain times etc to get food. E.g. early on a Saturday... bad if you're nursing a hangover!
Endcliffe is the best I believe, followed by Ranmoor (just a mini Endcliffe) and then Opal, more central and different. I think on your application you can choose if you would prefer to have your room choice in another village or be in the same village with a different room type in the worst case scenario.
You should get your first choice provided you send off your accommodation application asap.

Thanks so much for your replies :smile: I just have one more question, is Opal the city accommodation and is it much different in terms of newness of rooms/ensuites etc?

Oh and also, so you do have to have your food at certain times? Because if that's the case then the website is so misleading lol!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 444
Original post by Retro.spex
Thanks so much for your replies :smile: I just have one more question, is Opal the city accommodation and is it much different in terms of newness of rooms/ensuites etc?

Oh and also, so you do have to have your food at certain times? Because if that's the case then the website is so misleading lol!

Well. Opal is the city campus, but is split into Opal 1, 2 etc, and one is owned by the university apparently, whilst one is shared with Hallam. I don't think it is. I think they're closer to a gym, but they have to pay for wireless internet. Rooms are also apparently the same size, but you are basically paying to live nearer to the university. It's a popular campus with international students. :smile:

Well, I'm not sure. You get £40 per week I think, but obviously, breakfast isn't all day, or it wasn't this year, so yeah. Also, this year if you missed a week, you still had to pay for food, despite not being in university. They may have changed that though, so you may want to check.

No worries! Anything you need to ask, please do. :smile:
Reply 445
Hey sorry this might be a repeated question but do you know how they allocate accommodation? like i heard its not a first come first serve basis so if someone applied for endcliffe but put their priority as ensuite..would they just be like oh they'll be happy at ranmoor cause they haven't prioritised the location? Thanks in advance!x
Reply 446
Original post by RMW1994
Hey sorry this might be a repeated question but do you know how they allocate accommodation? like i heard its not a first come first serve basis so if someone applied for endcliffe but put their priority as ensuite..would they just be like oh they'll be happy at ranmoor cause they haven't prioritised the location? Thanks in advance!x

When I applied, they asked if in the worst case scenario, I'd:

- Prefer to be in a different room type in the same location
- Prefer to be in the same room type in a different location

It is on a first come first served basis though to my knowledge. Although obviously if A, B, C and D apply for Endcliffe, and apply in that order, but there are 3 places, D could be given Ranmoor hypothetically, but if C doesn't get in, D will get C's place. It really depends on who gets in to the university! The university will know your results a week before you do, so they'll have the opportunity to allocate rooms accordingly. If you've firmed it, they'll probably presume you're coming here, so allocate your room. I found out my room type the day after I found out my results, so it makes sense.
Get your application in asap if you haven't already. Although, a lot of people do actually apply to Ranmoor, so don't worry about missing out on Endcliffe, as there are 3500 places (literally!). :tongue:

Hope this helps!
Reply 447
When I applied, they asked if in the worst case scenario, I'd:

- Prefer to be in a different room type in the same location
- Prefer to be in the same room type in a different location

It is on a first come first served basis though to my knowledge. Although obviously if A, B, C and D apply for Endcliffe, and apply in that order, but there are 3 places, D could be given Ranmoor hypothetically, but if C doesn't get in, D will get C's place. It really depends on who gets in to the university! The university will know your results a week before you do, so they'll have the opportunity to allocate rooms accordingly. If you've firmed it, they'll probably presume you're coming here, so allocate your room. I found out my room type the day after I found out my results, so it makes sense.
Get your application in asap if you haven't already. Although, a lot of people do actually apply to Ranmoor, so don't worry about missing out on Endcliffe, as there are 3500 places (literally!). :tongue:

Hope this helps!

Oooh yeah that does help thanks for explaining! Yeah I did my application like 3 weeks ago just wasn't sure thats all. Dont know why I'm panicking about that,need to get the grades first! :redface:
Reply 448
Original post by RMW1994
Oooh yeah that does help thanks for explaining! Yeah I did my application like 3 weeks ago just wasn't sure thats all. Dont know why I'm panicking about that,need to get the grades first! :redface:

Oh god, I was the exact same as you, you'll be fine.
Just revise now, and by June, you'll have it all in your mind and won't be able to get rid of the revision! :tongue:
Reply 449
i've actually contacted the accomodation people regarding all this fcfs stuff a couple of weeks ago and they specifically said rooms are NOT allocated on fcfs basis at all. you just have to make sure to apply within the accomodation deadline (whenever that is, i've already applied so i'm not too fussed tbh :tongue:) and you'll be fine as they start allocating rooms sometime in july for unconditional offer holders and a bit later for the people with conditional offers.

so basically, there's no rush.
Reply 450
Original post by ohdrama
i've actually contacted the accomodation people regarding all this fcfs stuff a couple of weeks ago and they specifically said rooms are NOT allocated on fcfs basis at all. you just have to make sure to apply within the accomodation deadline (whenever that is, i've already applied so i'm not too fussed tbh :tongue:) and you'll be fine as they start allocating rooms sometime in july for unconditional offer holders and a bit later for the people with conditional offers.

so basically, there's no rush.

That's a relief. It was different for us last year you see. Although they have said that, I imagine they may use the date you applied as a way to give places out if they are stuck as to how to between candidate A, B and C. Maybe that's just my opinion though.
Reply 451
Hi,

How does Sheffield Law school stack up against other law schools in the UK? And what do you wish you knew when you were a fresher?

Thanks!
Reply 452
Original post by Stuartq
Hi,

How does Sheffield Law school stack up against other law schools in the UK? And what do you wish you knew when you were a fresher?

Thanks!

It's a really good Law school. The help is fantastic, the teaching is superb, and the workload isn't completely crazy. I'd definitely recommend it!

Things I knew when I was a fresher? I still am technically, but I wish I had my loan, because I realise that freshers week was an amazing week to go out and have fun (I couldn't, I had no loan! ):smile:
Hi

I will go to study MA in departments of politics in this September. Now i am looking for an apartment and interested in Study Inn but I can not find any review or information about this apartment. Is this apartment is good? Can I walk to the university and how long does it take by walking? or do you have any advice about apartment that near crookesmoor. I want to rent an one bedroom apartment with bathroom that include bills and internet.

Thank you
Reply 454
Original post by sweetcandy
Hi

I will go to study MA in departments of politics in this September. Now i am looking for an apartment and interested in Study Inn but I can not find any review or information about this apartment. Is this apartment is good? Can I walk to the university and how long does it take by walking? or do you have any advice about apartment that near crookesmoor. I want to rent an one bedroom apartment with bathroom that include bills and internet.

Thank you

No idea about that, I've never heard of it I'm afraid, although you should consider applying to halls. They match students according to year of study etc. Alternatively, if you'd like the halls type of experience but more independent, you can rent a place in Opal, which is more independent. Sorry I couldn't help more! x
Thank you for your answer :wink:
Reply 456
Original post by sweetcandy
Thank you for your answer :wink:

No worries, sorry once again! x
Apologies if this has been asked before...

How do you pay for accommodation? Is there a deposit; if so, how much? Can you pay in instalments? If so, when do they have to be paid, and how much are they?
Reply 458
Original post by okthefolkie
Apologies if this has been asked before...

How do you pay for accommodation? Is there a deposit; if so, how much? Can you pay in instalments? If so, when do they have to be paid, and how much are they?

You pay £150 to cover any damages in the year, but if there are none, all is returned to you. Otherwise, you pay in 3 installments (everybody does) which are taken out of your bank account a few days after each student loan installment. These dates are in October, January and April. Each amount varies on your room type, but for £4600 rent, it'd be about £1500 each time (give or take). I pay a little less than £5000 for my rent (deluxe room) and I've paid £1400, £1650 and £1800 or so. I'd recommend creating another bank account to put your accommodation money in if you feel tempted to spend it. (: (And don't get a debit card with that account, so you can't!)
hi

I get an offer for the room in Q4 apartment but the room is on the ground floor. Do you think it is ok? Because I afraid that it is too noisy for me to stay.

Latest

Trending

Trending