The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charming7
Hi I might aswell use this opportunity and ask you a similar question.. I'm stuck between a MacBook and a windows laptop .. I really want a MacBook but I've been told its only of use for people doing graphics related things.. I'm wanting to study chemical engineering so what would you suggest I get? Any good laptops you're aware of?

Thank you :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hi there,

I've been in your position before, and I decided to use a MacBook instead of a Windows laptop. (Currently using an ASUS G74SX though.)

Let me list out the first obvious benefit. You can dual boot both Mac OS X and Windows 7 on a MacBook, that is run both the platforms simultaneously, whereas this is not possible on the Windows laptops. And if you're using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod, having a Mac OS is very beneficial.

But when you look at the prices, the new MacBook Pro with an i7 processor, a mere 256GB Hard Disk, and 8GB ram costs you $2200. You get a one year global warranty and that's it. Whereas for the same amount, you'll get a 17.3 inch monster device that has almost double the features of the MacBook. I got my Asus G74SX when it first launched, so it cost me a little over $2,000, but I got 16GB RAM, a 1TB Hard Disk, the same i7 processor, a Blu-Ray drive and lots of free goodies; an Asus Republic of Gamers bag, Razor Electra headset and Razor Abyssus gaming mouse. This came with a global 3 year warranty, which is great considering I plan to use my laptop only for that long. The current price of the G74SX is around $1,800, which is about $400 lesser than a MacBook Pro.

If the MacBook boasts a 720p FaceTime camera, most of the ultrabooks that are out now come with 1.3Megapixels to 2Megapixels full HD cameras, which is more or less equivalent or better than their counterpart on the Macbook. You can definitely upgrade the MacBook to bring it up to 16GB RAM, larger hard disk, etc, but Apple being Apple, it doesn't come cheap. One more thing, the new Retina display that Apple has provided with the MacBook Pro, I must admit, it's amazing. 2880 x 1800 pixels compared to the 1920 x 1080 you'll get on most of the good laptops around is a no-brainer. But then again, the price factor comes into play. I'm not sure if one would pay almost $2,000 extra to get a MacBook pro with the Retina display and all of the features of a high end windows gaming laptop.

All this being said, I'm not against Apple. The MacBook Pro had the image of being the best notebook for a long time, but with recent launches of the HP Folio, the Lenovo Thinkpads and so on, it wouldn't be right arguing because one could buy a Windows Ultrabook and a Mac Mini for the price of a MacBook Pro. I'm not sure where you've heard the notion that MacBooks are only of use to people doing graphics related things, because they are way more useful than that, I mean the OS X has so much more to offer. For Photo and Video editing, it has to be the Macbook, hands down.

For Chemical Engineering, again, I'm not sure what softwares you might be using, so I can't really comment. If you know what software you'll be using then just go to the website and check the system requirements to run it. If it demands some good graphics and RAM, then you can opt for one of the Ultrabooks; HP Folio, Lenovo ThinkPad, HP Envy, Asus Zenbook, all of them would be ideal. I prefer Asus over the others, because I've previously owned an Asus desktop too, and hardly came across any glitches with the hardware. :smile:

You could have a look at all the models I've mentioned above, and then consider again if you want to pay extra for the MacBook Pro. I'd personally suggest that if you're so keen on investing $2,200 on a laptop, taking a high end gaming laptop and then getting a Mac Mini would give you the best of both worlds. (Except the retina display.)

Any further questions, feel free to ask! :smile: Cheers.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 521
Original post by Roxas
There are only 85 deluxe rooms in endcliffe, realistically what are your chances of getting one? Also are deluxe rooms integrated into all flats or do you get a flat full of all deluxe rooms? Do you know the ratio of shared accommodation to single sex accommodation?

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply, but I was doing exams.
The chances depend on various factors, but it may come down to whether you initially get in (and not through clearing) and if you applied for this type of accommodation early/details you entered on the application e.g. the room type being important. However, I requested a deluxe room and to be in Endcliffe, stating I'd prefer to be in Endcliffe in an ensuite if there were no deluxes, and I still got a deluxe, so don't worry about it.
:smile:

Flats are a mixture of both.
I do not know the ratio, but ALL deluxe rooms are in single sex flats. (Or so I am aware)
Reply 522
Original post by BobbyBurke
Sheffield University night life?? Im thinking of applying for psychology here when I get my AS results through in September .... But I would like to know...

1) how good is the night life here (I want to study at a top uni as well as a uni which invokes an excellent scene I.e pubs and clubs, etc)

2) average drink prices??

3) my parents won't be helping me at all with funding, how can I afford to study at Sheffield?? As well as having my own money to go out and stuff???

I'm
So confused!!

Pubs and clubs are amazing, there is so much going on. There are really no quiet nights in town, and there are clubs open every day of the week, so whenever you are wanting to go out, you can. It is reasonably cheap here too, £2/pint or £2.10 for a cider in the pubs, or nights out with £1 shots and £1.50 drinks like beer. (You just have to know the right places!)

Yes, this is a common problem. You will have to either get a job, dip into savings or apply to go into your overdraft (minus money that the bank allows without charging you money to do it). Alternatively, you could ask the university for additional help, but I am unsure of the process doing this. Student finance is so little, it doesn't even cover my accommodation, so now my savings are gone!
Original post by Straight up G
Yeah can I second this question? I see a lot of students with macbooks whenever I visit the library but I can't really understand why they're so good or worth the extra money?

I couldn't multiquote you on my earlier reply, sorry. I'd be glad if you could go through that and find it useful. :redface:

Worth the money if you're into lots of photo and video editing because of the graphics it has to offer, not worth it if you're going to do the same things you could do on a Windows laptop. Good because Apple has maintained a high standard of products for a long time and are reliable, bad because it's expensive when one can get better features except the display for a much lesser cost.
Original post by lizolove
Hi,

Apologies for the late reply, but I was doing exams.

Oh hey,

Welcome back! Hope you had a good time doing them exams. :bunny:
Reply 525
Original post by pcorbett94
Just a quick question. Are there any issues with having friends staying with you (ie crashing on your floor) for a few days? I've heard of issues at some unis (especially with my sister's friend's uni), is there any problems with Endcliffe/Ranmoor?

There are formally issues, e.g. in the rule book, but I know people do it lots. Of course, you are personally liable if they cause any damage, e.g. if they break the lift, you get the fine. I'd advise you don't invite friends until you get to know your flat a bit more though, because whilst your friends are with you, your flat are going to bond, and you may be a bit left out.
Reply 526
Original post by Killerstorm2
what are the chances of getting into sheffield if you miss your offer by 1 grade? (civil engineering)

It depends on so many factors.

Being a redbrick university, it may mean the department wants people with the exact grades, but on the other hand, they may like your personal statement, so may allow you in. There may be little applicants, so they let you in, or tonnes on the waiting list, so they may not. I really cannot say. I think it's the same for most universities to be honest, sorry I couldn't be any more help, good luck!
Reply 527
Original post by DCM
Hi,
My question is how long are lectures and how many do you have per week on average (I applied to bioengineering, so maybe if you know someone doing something similar, it'd be great if you could
ask them). Here in Hungary lectures are usually 90 minutes long and there are around 3 of them per day on an engineering course, but I have no clue how they are in the UK.
Edit: Also, is it common to use laptops on lectures, or it is useful to at all?

It differs for each subject. In Law, we have 26 or so per term, per subject. Roughly, you'll probably have about 2 per topic per week, e.g. 6 per week. It may differ for your subject however, as Law is mostly reading-based.
Lectures are 50 minutes long here though, or double lectures, 1h50m with a break in between.
Reply 528
Original post by charming7
This may have been asked before (sorry I haven't read through the 500+ posts! :P ) but I've heard Sheffield is a great place for indie music/nightlife etc. is there anything going on in regards to urban music.. Hiphop/rnb and stuff?
And i know a lot takes place in the student union anyway, but is there anything in Sheffield that's like oceana night club in Leeds? Any particularly popular clubs?
And also what days are popular during the week to go out in?

Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions!
Thankyou x

It all depends really! There's something every day of the week, and some places are better than some. I hear Leadmill is great on a Monday, Plug on a Thursday and so on. If you visit them though, you'll get the idea. It's all down to personal opinion I think.
The union does various nights which are good fun, Pop Tarts on a Saturday is cool, full of cheesy pop, always a full night out, very popular.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful! (I haven't been to a lot of the places)
Reply 529
Original post by SiddlyWiddly
Hey,

Hope I'm not disturbing you at the moment! :redface:

Quoted you like you'd asked, will you be able to post some pictures of the deluxe rooms anytime soon? Would be really grateful if you could!

Thanks and hope you're enjoying your holidays! (I'm assuming your exams have finished, atleast that's what the Uni posted on Facebook. :P)

Sadly not, (long story) but I will post them as soon as I can. I am currently living at home and university, and have left my connector in uni (apologies). I will do it as soon as I am back, sorry once again!
Reply 530
Original post by Killerstorm2
oh thanks,
should I ask them using a different email and ask as a random person or ask directly using the email I used for ucas? Should i let them know that I know i did very bad in 1 of the maths modules ?

Honestly, knowing will not help you at all! I've spoken to various people about it, and nobody can tell you until the university sees all the results. They will not be able to answer this query, because it differs per year. Please read my answer above and hopefully that will help explain a bit.
Sadly not, (long story) but I will post them as soon as I can. I am currently living at home and university, and have left my connector in uni (apologies). I will do it as soon as I am back, sorry once again!

Haha, please don't say sorry! It's absolutely not a problem, you're already being so helpful sharing your experiences and handing out some great advice to everyone so I'm not supposed to complain. :smile:

Hope you're having fun at home, and don't worry about posting the pictures! Do it whenever comfortable, totally cool with it. Thanks a lot though, for keeping me updated, appreciate it! :wink:
I couldn't multiquote you on my earlier reply, sorry. I'd be glad if you could go through that and find it useful. :redface:

Worth the money if you're into lots of photo and video editing because of the graphics it has to offer, not worth it if you're going to do the same things you could do on a Windows laptop. Good because Apple has maintained a high standard of products for a long time and are reliable, bad because it's expensive when one can get better features except the display for a much lesser cost.

Yeah I read it just now, thank you, great great reply. I think my budget is considerably lower than the £1400ish for a macbook pro, and i think I'll buy a new laptop after three years anyway, so I'm probably just going to go for a Sony, because they last really long.
Original post by Straight up G
Yeah I read it just now, thank you, great great reply. I think my budget is considerably lower than the £1400ish for a macbook pro, and i think I'll buy a new laptop after three years anyway, so I'm probably just going to go for a Sony, because they last really long.

No problem at all, glad I could help! :smile:
If you don't mind me asking, which Sony laptop are you going to opt for? Because if you're going for the E or S series, I'd suggest you have a look at the new Dell Inspiron series. They've redone the design and it looks pretty decent. Also check out the Asus Zenbooks. They give a 3 year global warranty which is something to consider too.

No problem at all, glad I could help! :smile:
If you don't mind me asking, which Sony laptop are you going to opt for? Because if you're going for the E or S series, I'd suggest you have a look at the new Dell Inspiron series. They've redone the design and it looks pretty decent. Also check out the Asus Zenbooks. They give a 3 year global warranty which is something to consider too.

I'm not sure at the minute, will have to see in the summer. But I've got significant brand loyalty to them, I've got a desktop of theirs that's 10 years old and still faster than my mums year old network.
Reply 535
Oh hey,

Welcome back! Hope you had a good time doing them exams. :bunny:

It was soooooooooo fun(!) Haha, thanks. You too!
Reply 536
Hey, I've applied for the Deluxe Accom at Edgecliffe. I've heard some people saying that going for these types of room usually means that you may not be in such a socialable flat, has this proven to be true from your experience?
Original post by jhold
Hey, I've applied for the Deluxe Accom at Edgecliffe. I've heard some people saying that going for these types of room usually means that you may not be in such a socialable flat, has this proven to be true from your experience?

We're on the same boat, I've applied for deluxe accommodation as well. Not really, that's not always true. From what I've heard sometimes deluxe rooms are mixed up with ensuite rooms; like 2 deluxe + 6 ensuite or 3 deluxe + 5 ensuite to form one flat. Although I've also come across posts where people have claimed the deluxe rooms are grouped together in small sizes of 3 or 4, but I'm not sure if that's how it's going to be this year.

Flat sociability varies from person to person and also depends on luck, who knows which flat mates you'll be staying with; so let's hope for the best! I think there'll be a lot of chances to make friends - Fresher's week, Students' Union Nights Out, Societies, etc. If you make the most of these opportunities then I don't think sociability should be an issue. :smile:

Reply 538
Original post by jhold

We're on the same boat, I've applied for deluxe accommodation as well. Not really, that's not always true. From what I've heard sometimes deluxe rooms are mixed up with ensuite rooms; like 2 deluxe + 6 ensuite or 3 deluxe + 5 ensuite to form one flat. Although I've also come across posts where people have claimed the deluxe rooms are grouped together in small sizes of 3 or 4, but I'm not sure if that's how it's going to be this year.

Flat sociability varies from person to person and also depends on luck, who knows which flat mates you'll be staying with; so let's hope for the best! I think there'll be a lot of chances to make friends - Fresher's week, Students' Union Nights Out, Societies, etc. If you make the most of these opportunities then I don't think sociability should be an issue. :smile:

Flats are mixed, e.g. I was in a flat with 3 ensuites and 2 deluxes, my friend was in the same but with 5 ensuites. If you go on the university of Sheffield website, you should be able to find some accommodation videos and a tour of the university from a current student that can assist some queries whilst I am unable to upload photos. :smile:
Flats are mixed, e.g. I was in a flat with 3 ensuites and 2 deluxes, my friend was in the same but with 5 ensuites. If you go on the university of Sheffield website, you should be able to find some accommodation videos and a tour of the university from a current student that can assist some queries whilst I am unable to upload photos. :smile:

I've already seen the interactive tour, but there were no deluxe rooms that were shown! D: Haha don't worry about it, it's not a problem, you can upload them whenever possible! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending