The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I can also offer some advice :smile: I'm a second-year Politics student. Feel free to ask things about social lives, the Politics department, general living stuff etc. :smile:

No dramas, I know nothing about Politics. :tongue:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 41
Original post by Valentas
What size is the standard shared room :biggrin: ? Is it a box or there are some space?

Bedrooms are boxish, but you do get your own bathroom in most of them (if you apply for it). I pay a few hundred pounds more per year to have a double bedroom though, it is huge. :smile:
Original post by lizolove

PUT MONEY ASIDE. DON'T JUST RELY ON YOUR LOAN TO COVER EVERYTHING, BECAUSE IT WON'T!

So true!! Also dont expect student finance to be quick, i was lucky last year, this year I didnt get my first year grant or bursary, I'm getting it all in one lump sum in Jan, it was a hard semester...

Original post by .Theory
Loving Sheffield though, so many opportunities to try new things. And our library (IC) is awesome, open 24/7 (which means they serve mochas with unlimited marsh mellows all night).

Yeah, but lets be honest, the IC cafe is ridiculously expensive, especially food. However its close to west street where there is loads of takeaways! !
I think that's the same in most universities. Some professors are more conservative and ask you to call them 'Professor', whilst some just accept you calling them by their first names. (:
Yes, it is nice here, I'd definitely visit and give it a chance. It is a top 10 university for a lot of subjects, so don't knock it completely!

That is not true at all. You fill out some things in your preference e.g. Whether you want to live in a place with boys and girls or just your sex, and other things, but nothing like "Do you like ___?"

I thought that'd be a good idea, but it really wouldn't as I discovered lately. I mean, my flatmates and I are so different, e.g. we like different music, but we tell eachother about new bands, get eachother into new music, and just get along so well. If all goes pear-shaped, you can move to a new room if one is available.
I wasn't that close with my flatmates until about week 8/9. We spoke, went out etc, but now we're really good friends, so just give it a go. :smile:

I've visited Sheffield and I really liked both the uni and the city, but I didn't really get a chance to talk to any students. Oh, don't worry, I won't knock it completely: it'll definitely be at least my insurance! :smile:

I'm glad that you at least get to fill that in, although it's not like I have any weird requirements or anything :smile: Oh, I know what you mean; one of my closest friends is a real farmer's lad and is nothing like me, yet we get on brilliantly. I've always been a little hesitant about living in halls, but after visiting one of my friends who's at Newcastle I think it sounds like it'll be fun.
Reply 44
Original post by muse_of_fire
I've visited Sheffield and I really liked both the uni and the city, but I didn't really get a chance to talk to any students. Oh, don't worry, I won't knock it completely: it'll definitely be at least my insurance! :smile:

I'm glad that you at least get to fill that in, although it's not like I have any weird requirements or anything :smile: Oh, I know what you mean; one of my closest friends is a real farmer's lad and is nothing like me, yet we get on brilliantly. I've always been a little hesitant about living in halls, but after visiting one of my friends who's at Newcastle I think it sounds like it'll be fun.

Sheffield is lovely, I agree! We only got the chance to speak to one on our tour, but thankfully she was doing Law. :smile:
Insurance? Fair play. You may change your mind when visiting again though. :wink:

YES! I was a bit nervous, but after the first awkward week, and kind of forcing yourself to go out of your comfort zone going to new places etc, it is great.
I love my flatmates, we are so different, but we get along so well! Flats tend not to have anyone in doing the same course as you, so you can mix with other courses I think. In our block, there is a Law student in each flat pretty much, but none together - it's clever how they've done it. :smile:

Halls is epic. Unlimited internet, shower, heating water and so on? Ideal place to live. When you move out, you'll see how expensive it becomes. About £80/week, which isn't bad, but then you add bills on top of it, and you end up paying £5160 per year (granted, not much more than accommodation in university, but in university, you have unlimited heating and pretty much no complaints e.g. "WHO LEFT THE HEATING ON WHILST WE WERE OUT?" or "WHO KEEPS TAKING THE HOT WATER IN THE SHOWER?!" :tongue:
When you move out, you'll see how expensive it becomes. About £80/week, which isn't bad, but then you add bills on top of it, and you end up paying £5160 per year (granted, not much more than accommodation in university, but in university, you have unlimited heating and pretty much no complaints e.g. "WHO LEFT THE HEATING ON WHILST WE WERE OUT?" or "WHO KEEPS TAKING THE HOT WATER IN THE SHOWER?!" :tongue:

I don't know anybody who pays £80 a week for private accommodation!

I pay £65 (inc. water bill), the most I know for anybody to pay for private is £70 with no bills. Crookesmoor and Broomhill are the dearest places (I live in the former), but they're also the closest to university. I've yet to get my energy bills so I can't say if it's more economical than living in halls or not.

If you're willing to live further out in Crookes or Walkley, then it drops to around £50-£60 a week, and it'll be about a 20 minute walk to uni, or a 50p bus.
Reply 46
I FINISHED UL LAW. Literally couldn't be happier. Well, I could, because it's an awful piece, but that aside, 3000 words and it contains a lot of what we were asked to include! Curse them for not allowing me to do Supreme court judgement, I had so much on it (1000 words odd) and had to delete it all yesterday when I realised it wasn't allowed. :frown:

Soooo jealous of you right now, I've not even read the case in full yet! I've basically finished my PL revision now though so I can start concentrating on UL once I get back to sheffers in the next few days! So are we not allowed to include anything at all about the Supreme Court report?
Reply 47
Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
I don't know anybody who pays £80 a week for private accommodation!

I pay £65 (inc. water bill), the most I know for anybody to pay for private is £70 with no bills. Crookesmoor and Broomhill are the dearest places (I live in the former), but they're also the closest to university. I've yet to get my energy bills so I can't say if it's more economical than living in halls or not.

If you're willing to live further out in Crookes or Walkley, then it drops to around £50-£60 a week, and it'll be about a 20 minute walk to uni, or a 50p bus.

I know, yeah. I know somebody who is renting a house that her friend's father is buying, so she is paying about £95/week including bills. :s-smilie:
Reply 48
Original post by AmiB
Soooo jealous of you right now, I've not even read the case in full yet! I've basically finished my PL revision now though so I can start concentrating on UL once I get back to sheffers in the next few days! So are we not allowed to include anything at all about the Supreme Court report?

That case study was horrific, I read it and forgot it all! Lucky. Starting Public law nowish, dreading it. Did you just go through the textbook?

No idea! Waiting to hear from Mark on the discussion board. Will let you know if I hear anything. May dedicate one day to the library this week to check over my UL work. I couldn't find many journals, ugh. :frown:
Reply 49
That case study was horrific, I read it and forgot it all! Lucky. Starting Public law nowish, dreading it. Did you just go through the textbook?

No idea! Waiting to hear from Mark on the discussion board. Will let you know if I hear anything. May dedicate one day to the library this week to check over my UL work. I couldn't find many journals, ugh. :frown:

The textbook is too dense to revise from in my opinion so I went through all the study guides and chapter assessments one by one making notes and supplementing that with my lecture notes and the powerpoints :smile: Also bought a nutshell for C+A law but I wouldn't recommend it because it only has 1 relevant chapter, most of the stuff will only be useful for when we do PL2.

Are you back in Sheffers now then? I'm heading back around the 3rd to get down to CC/recision hardcore in the IC haha xx
Reply 50
Original post by AmiB
The textbook is too dense to revise from in my opinion so I went through all the study guides and chapter assessments one by one making notes and supplementing that with my lecture notes and the powerpoints :smile: Also bought a nutshell for C+A law but I wouldn't recommend it because it only has 1 relevant chapter, most of the stuff will only be useful for when we do PL2.

Are you back in Sheffers now then? I'm heading back around the 3rd to get down to CC/recision hardcore in the IC haha xx

The study guides on mole? Chapter assessments? D;
Yah, for contract I think the textbook is good, I have Taylor and Taylor. :smile:
Reply 51
The study guides on mole? Chapter assessments? D;
Yah, for contract I think the textbook is good, I have Taylor and Taylor. :smile:

Sorry, meant background notes haha chapter assessments were what we used to have for A Level Maths! Yeah I am using the nutshell I bought for contract as well as all my notes etc. and a bit of the textbook :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by AmiB
Sorry, meant background notes haha chapter assessments were what we used to have for A Level Maths! Yeah I am using the nutshell I bought for contract as well as all my notes etc. and a bit of the textbook :smile:

Brill. I am going to read the books, make my own notes, as well as all the Mole stuff really. Public is driving me insane! :frown:
Reply 53
Can you ask your biochemist friend how many hours a week he is in lectures and labs? :smile: I'd appreciate that. :smile:

I believe that Sheffield may become my firm because almost everything you said appeal to me. :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by Valentas
Can you ask your biochemist friend how many hours a week he is in lectures and labs? :smile: I'd appreciate that. :smile:

I believe that Sheffield may become my firm because almost everything you said appeal to me. :smile:

Just texted him. :smile:
If I recall however, off the top of my head, he gets 1 day off a week at least.
I'll message you when he replies. :smile:

Hahaha, I wish I had somebody to tell me what it was like, hence why I am doing this. It would have saved a lot of research and panic as to whether I'd chosen the correct university or not! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 55
I'mplanning to apply to Shefflied for Biology, do you know what current biology studants think of it? also how many people take the study abroad option?
also i have a freind called kyle blake doing japanese and pippa spottiswoode doing some languages there, know them? haha
Reply 56
Original post by mabelbarc
I'mplanning to apply to Shefflied for Biology, do you know what current biology studants think of it? also how many people take the study abroad option?
also i have a freind called kyle blake doing japanese and pippa spottiswoode doing some languages there, know them? haha

Biology I'm not too sure about, as I don't know anybody studying it personally, however, most subjects here are popular. Not in the sense that you ought to be discouraged to apply based on it being popular and thinking you won't get in, but it's not a dead end subject here.
Because of the university's reputation, pretty much every subject is in top notch, so the teaching is to an impeccable standard. :smile:

Lots of people take the option to study abroad, because it separates you from other people in job interviews after your degree. I am planning on doing one with my degree, as with Law, if you stay within Europe, the costs are the same as your UK degree, or if you go outside (Australia/US), you pay for half I believe.

I don't know them, no. Haha. It's a big university, I may have ran into them, but nothing springs to mind. I mean, 3500 live in my village alone! :eek:
Reply 57
Biology I'm not too sure about, as I don't know anybody studying it personally, however, most subjects here are popular. Not in the sense that you ought to be discouraged to apply based on it being popular and thinking you won't get in, but it's not a dead end subject here.
Because of the university's reputation, pretty much every subject is in top notch, so the teaching is to an impeccable standard. :smile:

Lots of people take the option to study abroad, because it separates you from other people in job interviews after your degree. I am planning on doing one with my degree, as with Law, if you stay within Europe, the costs are the same as your UK degree, or if you go outside (Australia/US), you pay for half I believe.

I don't know them, no. Haha. It's a big university, I may have ran into them, but nothing springs to mind. I mean, 3500 live in my village alone! :eek:

do you know about fees for Canada? as its in the commonwealth im not so sure if its the same as the states :s-smilie:

ha i didnt think so but i thought id ask all the same ^^ whoa thats the size of my old school, SCARY.
Sheffield is lovely, I agree! We only got the chance to speak to one on our tour, but thankfully she was doing Law. :smile:
Insurance? Fair play. You may change your mind when visiting again though. :wink:

YES! I was a bit nervous, but after the first awkward week, and kind of forcing yourself to go out of your comfort zone going to new places etc, it is great.
I love my flatmates, we are so different, but we get along so well! Flats tend not to have anyone in doing the same course as you, so you can mix with other courses I think. In our block, there is a Law student in each flat pretty much, but none together - it's clever how they've done it. :smile:

Halls is epic. Unlimited internet, shower, heating water and so on? Ideal place to live. When you move out, you'll see how expensive it becomes. About £80/week, which isn't bad, but then you add bills on top of it, and you end up paying £5160 per year (granted, not much more than accommodation in university, but in university, you have unlimited heating and pretty much no complaints e.g. "WHO LEFT THE HEATING ON WHILST WE WERE OUT?" or "WHO KEEPS TAKING THE HOT WATER IN THE SHOWER?!" :tongue:

Ooh, this actually sounds quite good! I really like that they make an effort to mix up students :smile: Halls certainly sounds preferable to living out; I also really like that, at Sheffield, all the accommodation is new and therefore (fingers crossed!) everything is in working order.

Is there a lot of mixing between Sheffield uni and Hallam, or is that quite limited? Also, are you constantly meeting new people or does everyone settle into groups?
Reply 59
Original post by mabelbarc
do you know about fees for Canada? as its in the commonwealth im not so sure if its the same as the states :s-smilie:

ha i didnt think so but i thought id ask all the same ^^ whoa thats the size of my old school, SCARY.

Canada is outside of Europe, so it means regardless, you pay half and the university does, but there are ways to save money e.g. you can apply for a range of jobs, and also, there is a mentoring programme in the university which you can apply for, and get residence for £1000 per year (what I am doing next year hopefully) to save money for my trip.

Latest

Trending

Trending