The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by banknote_
According to my contract both are supplied, however, I'd guess there's only one, maybe two for a big flat, so I'd suggesting bringing along your own iron at least. I think I picked up one from Asda for about £3, with a year long guarantee.

There's one per flat regardless of size, I think. My flat was a 5 though, and we had one. The vacuum cleaners are the worst, they are Henry Hoovers and they are abysmal!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by lizolove
There's one per flat regardless of size, I think. My flat was a 5 though, and we had one. The vacuum cleaners are the worst, they are Henry Hoovers and they are abysmal!

And when you turn them on, there is a slight smell of vomit.

(Even on the first day.)
Reply 842
Original post by Tpx
And when you turn them on, there is a slight smell of vomit.

(Even on the first day.)

I know! The cleaner opened it, sprayed half of my can of air freshener in it, and it still smelt like vom. Sob. :frown:
I know! The cleaner opened it, sprayed half of my can of air freshener in it, and it still smelt like vom. Sob. :frown:

i tried that website and it asked for surveys which all required a phonenumber :facepalm: ................. :frown: cant watch them now :frown: and i refuse to watch season 5 yet :L :smile:
how strict are the clubs with regard to boys wearing trainers and casual shirts ? also how much would you recommend to bring for freshers week ? how much do you spend weekly on food , going out etc ?
Reply 845
Don't wear trainers, clubs will ruin them.

Wear plain black pumps and you'll be fine everywhere. Casual shirts are fine, most clubs accept (good, unbranded) t-shirts.

Your spend on things will vary depending on what you're doing.

I can make a shop of £30 last 2 weeks. You'll need £20 per night out i'd say, given cheapish prices (stick with the students, not the locals) and pre-bought tickets.
Original post by Lee.Shaw
Don't wear trainers, clubs will ruin them.

Wear plain black pumps and you'll be fine everywhere. Casual shirts are fine, most clubs accept (good, unbranded) t-shirts.

Your spend on things will vary depending on what you're doing.

I can make a shop of £30 last 2 weeks. You'll need £20 per night out i'd say, given cheapish prices (stick with the students, not the locals) and pre-bought tickets.

cheers i was just wondering will the clubs turn you away if you wear trainers ?
Reply 847
Just out of curiosity, does Sheffield provide a welcome package for new students moving in? My friend arrived at Leeds university today and they'd left little packages in all of the students' rooms, only little things, like a pad of paper, a few mini snacks, a safety guide and if I remember correctly, condoms. Does this tend to happen with most unis?
Been there a year, you can wear whatever to the clubs! trainers are absolutely fine. and no they don't give you a welcome package unfortunately
Reply 849
Just out of curiosity, does Sheffield provide a welcome package for new students moving in? My friend arrived at Leeds university today and they'd left little packages in all of the students' rooms, only little things, like a pad of paper, a few mini snacks, a safety guide and if I remember correctly, condoms. Does this tend to happen with most unis?

When I went, a local taxi firm had left a welcome pack thing with a keyring with the taxi number on, and some other things, but nothing from the uni.
Reply 850
Original post by Tremmel Smith
cheers i was just wondering will the clubs turn you away if you wear trainers ?

I've never been turned away from a club in Sheffield for wearing trainers, I think you should be fine. There might be a few places which will reject you if you're wearing really obvious sporting trainers with a nike tick or something (I've only heard of this once with a friend though and that was at 'Players'). But no, I've always gone out in just vans and got in to everywhere. Also T-shirts are completely fine, places don't care about that either from my experience :smile:

They don't have a welcome pack per se, but there'll be people handing you free things like pens, pads of paper, sweets etc. all over the place during freshers! I recommend going to the Fresher's fair with all the societies and clubs as well, they hand out free Dominoes pizza and have goody bags which are amazing! (last year the boys got a razor, sweets, badges, balloons and some sweets :biggrin: )
Quick question - do you need to bring your own ethernet cable for the internet, or is it provided?
Reply 852
Original post by okthefolkie
Quick question - do you need to bring your own ethernet cable for the internet, or is it provided?

Provided. But it's quite a poor length. I got an extended one (3 metres or so) from Comet for £5 and it stretched into the living room. Handy!
Reply 853
Provided. But it's quite a poor length. I got an extended one (3 metres or so) from Comet for £5 and it stretched into the living room. Handy!

I'm already in Sheffield for orientation at the moment and there's a 3m cable in my room.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 854
Original post by ohdrama
I'm already in Sheffield for orientation at the moment and there's a 3m cable in my room.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

I'm probably underestimating the size. Although, I had a deluxe room and my room cable was 2m if that. The extended one I bought must have therefore been about 6m or something. Still, handy when you are without wireless.

Latest

Trending

Trending