The Student Room Group

Money does buy happiness

So yeah. This is what I believe and if you take the time to read this article I think it sums up everything about the correlation between money and happiness.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-money-can-buy-happiness/

I don't know if this is the right place for it but who cares.

Discuss.

My view? Anyone who disagrees has never been poor.

Scroll to see replies

I think if you were to use spearmans rank to actually figure out the correlation between money and happiness you'd be quite surprised at the results. Allthough i believe money can help happiness (less stress etc.), I think anyone can become depressed or have problems. Money can't buy love or a family, or bring someone back who you've lost; this is why money doesn't buy happiness, allthough it certainly helps!
Reply 2
There is a lot of actual science on this and the general consensus is that money is correlated with happiness, but that the effect starts to drop off quickly (ie there are diminishing returns, and the marginal utility of extra income decreases quite fast). Going from earning £20k/year to £40k/year has much more effect on happiness than going from £100k/year to £150k/year or whatever.

This should be fairly obvious; living in poverty would be awful, but once you have enough money to be comfortable and not have to worry about surviving, getting more money only really means that you have access to a higher quality of consumer goods/holidays, so other factors start to become more important when it comes to happiness (free time, quality of work, rewarding work/hobbies, family, etc).

Edit: for example http://www.jstor.org/pss/27526987
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Yarpie
So yeah. This is what I believe and if you take the time to read this article I think it sums up everything about the correlation between money and happiness.

Discuss.

So much truth there... did you write it ?
Reply 4
Read the title as monkey does buy happiness & though it must have been the latest results from some operant conditioning experiments.
Reply 5
Money may not buy happiness, but I'd rather be crying in my Ferrari :tongue:
Reply 6
Some say that after $75k you don't have to worry/stress about money(i.e rent and payments and stuff) and can then spend more time being happy.
Original post by Yarpie

Discuss.

Really, why do the richest countries in the world have the highest depression and suicide rates, whilst the poorest have the lowest.
Reply 8
Original post by Prince357
Money may not buy happiness, but I'd rather be crying in my Ferrari :tongue:

If you had some money left over you could buy a monkey to cheer you up, then you'd have the best of both worlds.
Reply 9
Original post by Joinedup

Original post by Joinedup
If you had some money left over you could buy a monkey to cheer you up, then you'd have the best of both worlds.

Totally agree. You understand me.
Reply 10
Money does not buy happiness. Money does eliminate many of the obstacles that prevent happiness.
Reply 11
Well I believe that anyone has the ability to be happy. I've never been poor, but I swear to good I've spent time with people who live on the streets who have been happier than some rich people I know. I don't think being rich makes you sad, or that money can't help you be happier, but if you want to be happy you'll be happy, and if you're gonna complain about everything, you're gonna complain about everything, regardless of how much money you have. It just goes from complaining about having a crappy mattress to complaining about having a TV that's to small.

Money can buy power, but it can't buy respect
Money can't buy sleep, but it can buy a bed
Money can't buy you love, but it can buy sex
Do you posses money or by money are you possessed?
Money can buy a house, but it can't buy a home
So even with money you still feel all alone
Money can buy you friends, but it can't buy family
Money can't make you happy, that's just a fallacy
It can buy a bath, but it can't buy purity
It can buy bodyguards, but it can't buy security
While people around the world starve, I eat
Cause money can buy war, but it can't buy peace
Some do everything and anything to get the p's
The society we livin' in, it's a necessity
It's got the power to turn your best friends to enemies
It's funny cause money doesn't follow us when we leave.
Reply 12
Original post by King-Panther
Really, why do the richest countries in the world have the highest depression and suicide rates, whilst the poorest have the lowest.

Because someone who struggles for mere survival is less likely to take that survival for granted. It doesn't mean they are happier.
Reply 13
Money does buy you happiness, money to be honest buys your pretty much everything except true love and true friendship which is also something that gets you happiness.
Not to say someone who is poor can't be happy, but chances are someone who is rich (means NOT in debt) is going to be happy easier.
Reply 14
Original post by jackclarke1995
Money can't buy love

Nah but it certainly helps to prevent it. Try being homeless and go get a girlfriend.
Money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
money does make u happy .Money buys me ice cream and pays my internet bills and its kind of the same thing.
I think it's more accurate to say that lack of money can often cause unhappiness.
Money does buy you things that cause happiness.

But the aim of your life should not be to buy the best stuff or to be the richest person in the world, desires like these are like a bucket without a bottom; they can never be fulfilled.
Reply 19
I'm not rich, and i strongly agree that money doesn't buy you happiness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending