Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Students with Aspergers/HFA

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What are your experiences of University?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiemaphone)
    What are your experiences of University?
    Goddamn awful. I suggest you definitely make contact with the disability services and try everything they suggest, even if you don't really think you need it or don't understand why something would be beneficial. And talk to your tutors/lecturers/disability advisers as soon as something starts to worry you. It may not be easy to do, especially if you're embarrassed or think they can't do anything, but it's better to try than to let things get worse.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a quick question - When applying for DSA with aspergers, what evidence do you need? I have an SEN statement, I could get a doctors statement to say I have it. I don't think it counts as a specific learning disability does it? Does it count as as 'mental health' in the other category?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverArch)
    I have a quick question - When applying for DSA with aspergers, what evidence do you need? I have an SEN statement, I could get a doctors statement to say I have it. I don't think it counts as a specific learning disability does it? Does it count as as 'mental health' in the other category?
    I would have said learning disability. But it's actually a developmental disorder. For learning disabilities, you need a educational psychiatrists' report from after the age of 16.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Very up and down. Socially and academically I've struggled a bit at times. Though at the moment socially things are alright. It's a good point to make contact with the disability services before you go but don't expect them to be that great really. You're a lot more "on your own" at university.
    If you have any specific questions then you're welcome to PM me.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverArch)
    I'd like to know the answer to this too. What happens if you have depression, OCD, panic attacks and whatnot alongside Aspergers? How do they class the preceding?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suicidaloverbusiness)
    I'd like to know the answer to this too. What happens if you have depression, OCD, panic attacks and whatnot alongside Aspergers? How do they class the preceding?
    Did you ever find out in the end.

I have fibromyalgia with chronic fatigue symptoms, generalised anxiety disorder and AS
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sosotalk)
    Did you ever find out in the end.

I have fibromyalgia with chronic fatigue symptoms, generalised anxiety disorder and AS
    Sorry, no I didn't.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry this is off topic but I thought it might be of interest to any other HFA/Aspergers people: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01gk4xc
    I'm HFA and I related to a lot of it even though everyone in the programme was far more low functioning. The oldest kid in the programme is basically my little brother.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Sorry this is off topic but I thought it might be of interest to any other HFA/Aspergers people: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01gk4xc
    I'm HFA and I related to a lot of it even though everyone in the programme was far more low functioning. The oldest kid in the programme is basically my little brother.
    Wow, really?
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow, really?
    As in, my brother is like that person, not as in my brother was in the programme :p:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    As in, my brother is like that person, not as in my brother was in the programme :p:
    Haha, how ironic of me to take it literally.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha, how ironic of me to take it literally.
    You've diagnosed yourself
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've diagnosed yourself
    :confused: Sorry, I don't quite understand. I have been given a formal diagnosis by the necessary professionals.

I have a feeling I might have taken that comment literally, again. :rolleyes:
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    :confused: Sorry, I don't quite understand. I have been given a formal diagnosis by the necessary professionals.

I have a feeling I might have taken that comment literally, again. :rolleyes:
    I just meant that by taking my original comment so literally you made it obvious that you were autistic/aspergic :p:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just meant that by taking my original comment so literally you made it obvious that you were autistic/aspergic :p:
    Oh ok, I feel a bit silly now.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok, I feel a bit silly now.
    :console:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol

I have now been diagnosed, finally. No idea where I am on the spectrum. Should be getting a letter soon from the psychiatrist.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.