The Student Room Group

Learning Spanish language: The Spanish Learners' Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guy Secretan
in the sentence Tienes que ser positivo. why is que needed as the sentence means you have to be positive what is the function of the que?

I think it's needed because the verb is 'you have to' which in Spanish is 'tienes que'. The 'ser' in Spanish is only being translated as 'be' in English, not 'to be'.

You could see this better if you translate 'tienes que' as 'you must' instead of 'you have to'. Then the sentence in English would be 'you must be positive' and you can see that 'ser' is only 'be' in English, so you need the 'que'.
Original post by Guy Secretan
in the sentence Tienes que ser positivo. why is que needed as the sentence means you have to be positive what is the function of the que?

The closest it can be translated to is "you have to", just like in English you couldn't say "you have be positive". You need a word linking the verbs.
Original post by woodpecker
I think it's needed because the verb is 'you have to' which in Spanish is 'tienes que'. The 'ser' in Spanish is only being translated as 'be' in English, not 'to be'.

You could see this better if you translate 'tienes que' as 'you must' instead of 'you have to'. Then the sentence in English would be 'you must be positive' and you can see that 'ser' is only 'be' in English, so you need the 'que'.

oh I thought ser meant 'to be' as it is the infinitive thanks
Next week Tuesday I've got my reading and listening end of year 9 assessment!

Any advice and good vocab will be very greatly appreciated.
Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile
A few questions:
- does 'sé de seguro que' make sense?
- in this sentence, 'es posible que las personas están luchando con el aumento de las presiones sociales...' should I use estén (the subjunctive) instead?

Gracias
Original post by nelizabeth_
A few questions:
- does 'sé de seguro que' make sense?
- in this sentence, 'es posible que las personas están luchando con el aumento de las presiones sociales...' should I use estén (the subjunctive) instead?

Gracias

The first sentence doesn't make sense. Are you trying to say "I'm sure that"?

And regarding the second sentence, yes, you should use the subjunctive :smile:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
The first sentence doesn't make sense. Are you trying to say "I'm sure that"?

And regarding the second sentence, yes, you should use the subjunctive :smile:

Yeah, sort of, I was going for 'I know for sure that' because I've already use 'Estoy seguro que' so wanted something a little different.

Also, is this sentence okay?
'Yo no tengo nada en contra de los fumadores pero no me parece que sea justo inhalar el humo de los cigarros cuando se está en un lugar público.'

Yeah, sort of, I was going for 'I know for sure that' because I've already use 'Estoy seguro que' so wanted something a little different.

Phrases you could use instead could include "me resulta evidente que", "no me cabe ninguna duda de que +subj", "lo tengo claro que"..
Also, is this sentence okay?
'Yo no tengo nada en contra de los fumadores pero no me parece (no "que sea" needed here) justo inhalar el humo de los cigarrillos cuando uno está en un lugar público.'

The "cuando uno está" is translated as "when one (someone) is". If you want to say "when you are" then simply use "cuando estás"
Sorry again, is this correct:
Hay gente que piensa que se debería prohibir que los fumadores fumaran en la calle también, pero me parece que esa idea es un poco extrema.

Also, how would I say: 'I have no idea why'.
Sorry again, is this correct:
Hay gente que piensa que también se debería prohibir a los fumadores fumar en la calle, pero me parece que esa idea es un poco extrema.

Also, how would I say: 'I have no idea why'.

"No tengo ni idea de porque + verb" or if you're simply saying "I have no idea why." then "No tengo ni idea del porque".
'Sin embargo para los jóvenes, la atracción parece ser emborracharse y vomitar en las calles'
'Es la sensación de euforia y felicidad que produce el alcohol.'
Are these correct?
'Sin embargo para los jóvenes, la atracción parece ser emborracharse y vomitar en las calles'
'Es la sensación de euforia y felicidad que produce el alcohol.'
Are these correct?

Yes :smile:
Hola, tengo mi examen oral el miercoles y estoy un poco harto de estudiar sola, hay alguien que que querria hablar conmigo aqui o por mensaje personal? Quiero practicar la conversacion en general!

Lo siento por la falta de tildes jaja
I can help you if you want. Just PM me your Skype! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd appreciate it if someone who studied Spanish with AQA could help me out a bit.

For the 35 mark essay question, if I choose a question in which the answer will involve listing the positive and negative aspects of a topic how many positives and negatives should I do? My teacher said 3 each but I have a feeling I won't have enough time to do that many. Will 2 points each be enough?
How would I say 'the more often you see someone, the more likely the chances are of a friendship developing'?
How would I say 'the more often you see someone, the more likely the chances are of a friendship developing'?

'Cuanto más ves a alguien, más probabilidades hay de que se desarrolle una amistad.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
I'd appreciate it if someone who studied Spanish with AQA could help me out a bit.

For the 35 mark essay question, if I choose a question in which the answer will involve listing the positive and negative aspects of a topic how many positives and negatives should I do? My teacher said 3 each but I have a feeling I won't have enough time to do that many. Will 2 points each be enough?

Why don't you just do one for, one against, one for, one against and then leave the conclusion until you've done everything else on the paper. If you have a lot of time left then by all means add another point to each, if not, just write your conclusion. I mean, I personally would write as much as I feel necessary - if you have three good points, make three good points, if you have two good points don't try and make a ****ty third point for the sake of it.
Would any fluent/native speakers be willing to look over a piece of writing I've done? It's around 200 words and I can PM it to you. Thanks in advance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending