The Student Room Group

Learning Spanish language: The Spanish Learners' Society!

Scroll to see replies

Estudié Inglés allí durante un año, y fue cuando descubrí el foro. Entro para practicar el inglés y resolver dudas de Español.
Además tengo que decir que me gusta viajar allí cuando tengo ocasión.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by inhuman
And Colombians think Spanish people have a terrible accent ^^

You didn't have to be unpleasant...I just said that the way she sings is difficult to understand but it has nothing to do with her being colombian.
Soy español y me estoy partiendo los cojones leyendo este hilo XD

I will be studying for this year in England (Kingston University), so if any of you is living in Kingston and wants to talk a bit in Spanish, just send a direct.
Also I'm here if you need any kind of advice or help with anything related to Spain etc.

See you!
Does anyone know the difference between using a and en for using the word at in English. As in on duolingo sometimes I can't understand why you can't use a for at but must use en. Also does anyone know where you can get spanish subtitles for narcos I have tried to find them but they don't download properly
For example this Are they at the gym?

must translate as

¿Están en el gimnasio?
Original post by karl pilkington
For example this Are they at the gym?

must translate as

¿Están en el gimnasio?

Yes because they are literally "inside" the gym. I'm pretty sure "en" is used whenever you'd say "at" a place in English. The preposition "a" usually means "to".
It sounds stupid because I have been learning spanish for ages but I have only just encountered this however where is the logic in using the third person singular and plural when using the usted form. Say you say como se llama you are actually saying how are she/he it called
It sounds stupid because I have been learning spanish for ages but I have only just encountered this however where is the logic in using the third person singular and plural when using the usted form. Say you say como se llama you are actually saying how are she/he it called

Yeah it's the same grammatical structure, but you'd obviously be able to tell which thing you're trying to say by the context.
tengo tanta hambre que me comería un coche - I am so hungry I could eat a car

Do you know why you have to add the me to that sentence?
besos por ti :kiss:
Original post by Eternalflames
besos por ti :kiss:

*para ti :tongue:
tengo tanta hambre que me comería un coche - I am so hungry I could eat a car

Do you know why you have to add the me to that sentence?

The verb "comer" is nearly always constructed as reflexive.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
*para ti :tongue:

LOL thank you :lol:
Hola! Voy a pie. Can this also be written like voy en pie? Both en and a mean on i think so what difference is "a" to "en"?
Original post by Zoe_1994
Hola! Voy a pie. Can this also be written like voy en pie? Both en and a mean on i think so what difference is "a" to "en"?

No, you can't say "ir en pie". "A" in this sentence only translates to "on" in English, but in Spanish "a" normally means "to".
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No, you can't say "ir en pie". "A" in this sentence only translates to "on" in English, but in Spanish "a" normally means "to".

Hey! My tutor said that, to differentiate, we should use 'en' where something has wheels and 'a' where it has not (I.e pie, caballo).

Do you think that works?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Fergo
Hey! My tutor said that, to differentiate, we should use 'en' where something has wheels and 'a' where it has not (I.e pie, caballo).

Do you think that works?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This makes it easier `to remember, thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by _Fergo

Do you think that works?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just gone through different examples in my head and that rule does indeed seem to work!
Cuando va a viajar? it says on my sheet that this means when are you travelling but doesn't it directly translate as "when you go to/on travelling?" So could you instead say "cuando es viajar?"
Original post by Zoe_1994
Cuando va a viajar? it says on my sheet that this means when are you travelling but doesn't it directly translate as "when you go to/on travelling?" So could you instead say "cuando es viajar?"

The question as you've written it there is asking very formally, hence the use of "va". If it's just an informal question then it should be "vas". That aside, the question translates to "When are you going to go travelling?" and sounds perfectly correct to me.

"¿Cuando es viajar?" doesn't make sense as it literally translates to "When is travelling?"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending