The Student Room Group

Learning Spanish language: The Spanish Learners' Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by nexttime
Hola todo! (does that even make sense lol)?

A former GCSE student here re-learning spanish potentially for use for work in South America in two years time. I'm using spanishdict.com and its been useful so far (even if the woman's voice is annoying! :tongue: ). So far i'm finding that readin text it comes back quite fast (e.g. the posts above), however, saying and writing stuff is very hard! Just can't remember the vocab i used to have. Lots of work ahead of me!

May ask a few questions if freetranslation can't answer them. For now, in my broken spanish (and before i've learned to type spanish characters - doing that tomorrow):

Por que aprenden otras personas espanol? Solo los examenes?

Pienso que es "Hola a todos/hola todos" :smile: Hola!!! Aprendo espanol por mis examenes. No voy a estudiarlo en la universidad pero voy a continuar a aprenderlo. Dios mio. Es muy dificil escribir en espanol. Necesito escribir y hablar espanol mas :smile:

Conoceis el sitio web http://www.sharedtalk.com ? Se puede hablar con y escribir a personas de todo el mundo :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Parle à ma main
I like the look of this thread. :smile: Spanish sounds really sexy, and it's one of the most widely spoken languages, so I want to learn it! I know a decent amount of french, I'm hoping there's some overlap between the two languages... but otherwise, I'm gonna be trying to learn it from scratch :eek:

I really need to improve my French. I started learning French before I learnt Spanish and then I didn't study it at A-level, which was a bad idea. My French has gotten worse dramatically since GCSE French :frown: Spanish is easier than French and your French will help you. That's why I learnt Spanish so quickly :smile: I find that my Spanish is helping my French now, haha.
Original post by Sem193
I really need to improve my French. I started learning French before I learnt Spanish and then I didn't study it at A-level, which was a bad idea. My French has gotten worse dramatically since GCSE French :frown: Spanish is easier than French and your French will help you. That's why I learnt Spanish so quickly :smile: I find that my Spanish is helping my French now, haha.

Yeah, that's the thing about languages, they're so easily forgotten. In a way that's good, because I've wanted to drop French so many times, but haven't just because I felt like all the years studying it would be a waste. And now I genuinely like French. :p:

Is Spanish easier? Yayyy! But they pronounce some letters differently don't they. :frown: I tried LiveMocha for Spanish but I guess that type of learning doesn't really work for me.

How are you learning french?
Wow! is there any reason there hasn't been a Spanish society till now? Spanish is such a popular language.
Is Spanish easier? Yayyy! But they pronounce some letters differently don't they. :frown: I tried LiveMocha for Spanish but I guess that type of learning doesn't really work for me.

I find that Spanish is a lot easier than French, especially considering that it's essentially completely phonetic :yep:

And the pronunciation will be really easy to get the hang of! The only real slight difficulties you may have is rolling your rs :awesome:

i love rolling my rs... perrrrro... burrrrro... aburrrrrido :ninja:
Reply 25
Yeah, that's the thing about languages, they're so easily forgotten. In a way that's good, because I've wanted to drop French so many times, but haven't just because I felt like all the years studying it would be a waste. And now I genuinely like French. :p:

How are you learning french?

I didn't want to drop French either because I've learnt it since I was in year 7, but my school has a weird blocking system for 6th form and French clashed with another one of my subjects :frown: I love French too :smile: I read Le Monde at least twice a week and I write a diary entry in French at least once a week. I learn new vocab by using Anki, but I find it impossible to speak French and I work on my pronunciation by reading out some of the articles from Le Monde. I also have some French songs I listen to and I listen to the French Radio...well I try to listen to it. I've kinda slacked off though because I have 5 exams next month.

I find Spanish easier and I've heard other people say it's easier. The pronunciation is definitely easier than French pronunciation :biggrin: I still can't pronounce the 'rr' sound in words like 'perro' and 'aburrido' which is annoying!! I really need to speak more French and Spanish, but I don't even like to speak English so it's really hard for me to have a conversation in Spanish or French :frown:
Original post by manic_fuzz
I find that Spanish is a lot easier than French, especially considering that it's essentially completely phonetic :yep:

And the pronunciation will be really easy to get the hang of! The only real slight difficulties you may have is rolling your rs :awesome:

i love rolling my rs... perrrrro... burrrrro... aburrrrrido :ninja:

But they say "h" like... well, there isn't an eng equiv, it's like... throaty if you know what I mean, don't they?

Hopefully! :smile: I'm gonna try your suggestion of books and music but I don't want to with exams so close. :frown:

Rolling Rs sounds fun >:-)
But they say "h" like... well, there isn't an eng equiv, it's like... throaty if you know what I mean, don't they?

Hopefully! :smile: I'm gonna try your suggestion of books and music but I don't want to with exams so close. :frown:

Rolling Rs sounds fun >:-)

Actually I'm pretty sure they don't say 'h' at all :mmm: I'm assuming you're talking about the 'j' sound. Which I s'pose can sound harsh sometimes, but Spanish (just like any other language) can still sound beautiful, and often does :biggrin: And it's not a very hard sound to replicate... and most people do just use the English 'h' sound for it anyway haha

Books and music is always the best way to go about things, and poetry, mmm poetry :sexface:
Hola a todo!

Me encanta a usar esto hilo para improvar mi Espanol. Estoy muy mal con examenes que necesita escuchando, hispanohablantes me parece que hablar con prisa! Empezaré a usar los emisoras que son en el primero puesto.
Original post by Sem193
I didn't want to drop French either because I've learnt it since I was in year 7, but my school has a weird blocking system for 6th form and French clashed with another one of my subjects :frown: I love French too :smile: I read Le Monde at least twice a week and I write a diary entry in French at least once a week. I learn new vocab by using Anki, but I find it impossible to speak French and I work on my pronunciation by reading out some of the articles from Le Monde. I also have some French songs I listen to and I listen to the French Radio...well I try to listen to it. I've kinda slacked off though because I have 5 exams next month.

I find Spanish easier and I've heard other people say it's easier. The pronunciation is definitely easier than French pronunciation :biggrin: I still can't pronounce the 'rr' sound in words like 'perro' and 'aburrido' which is annoying!! I really need to speak more French and Spanish, but I don't even like to speak English so it's really hard for me to have a conversation in Spanish or French :frown:

Awww, that sucks. :frown: I was really lucky that I didn't get any clashes. What you're doing sounds like it's better for your French than an A level would be tbh. In my class we're encouraged to basically copy things from textbooks to get high grades, rather than actually coming up with our own stuff (which wouldn't make sense and have crap grammar :p:). Depressing.

Yeah, can sympathise with that. I used to watch loads of French TV but I've slacked too cos of exams. Although I only have 2. Good luck with yours, hope they go well. :smile:

Who would you have french/spanish convos with, if you did? Yeah, conversations that I've had with french people (well, Parasiens, specifically) are awkward because they look at you pityingly then speak perfect english at you smugly. :cry:
Original post by manic_fuzz
Actually I'm pretty sure they don't say 'h' at all :mmm: I'm assuming you're talking about the 'j' sound. Which I s'pose can sound harsh sometimes, but Spanish (just like any other language) can still sound beautiful, and often does :biggrin: And it's not a very hard sound to replicate... and most people do just use the English 'h' sound for it anyway haha

Books and music is always the best way to go about things, and poetry, mmm poetry :sexface:

Oops, I think I did mean "J". Or I might even be thinking of Russian :confused: This goes to show how much I need to learn spanish haha.
Yeah, spanish is beautiful, can't argue with that :sexface:

I hate poetry :rofl: But books and music are good!
Oops, I think I did mean "J". Or I might even be thinking of Russian :confused: This goes to show how much I need to learn spanish haha.
Yeah, spanish is beautiful, can't argue with that :sexface:

I hate poetry :rofl: But books and music are good!

Hahaha :tongue:

Oooh, I haven't looked at Russian for so long :rofl: X is essentially that harsh H sound n'est-ce pas? Xa xa xa!

And oooh, poor poetry! It feels sad now :frown:
Reply 32
Awww, that sucks. :frown: I was really lucky that I didn't get any clashes. What you're doing sounds like it's better for your French than an A level would be tbh. In my class we're encouraged to basically copy things from textbooks to get high grades, rather than actually coming up with our own stuff (which wouldn't make sense and have crap grammar :p:). Depressing.

Yeah, can sympathise with that. I used to watch loads of French TV but I've slacked too cos of exams. Although I only have 2. Good luck with yours, hope they go well. :smile:

Who would you have french/spanish convos with, if you did? Yeah, conversations that I've had with french people (well, Parasiens, specifically) are awkward because they look at you pityingly then speak perfect english at you smugly. :cry:

I wish I had moved to a different 6th form now :frown: That sounds really boring, lol! Well done on your French grade though! You did really well :smile:

Good luck with your exams too! I'm sure you'll do well. I've never watched French TV or Spanish, but I've watched a lot of French and Spanish films lately and I'm going to watch some more :biggrin:

You should listen to some Shakira and Alejandro Sanz songs if you want to improve your Spanish with some songs :smile: I love me some Shakira and Alejandro Sanz, hahaha!

I have some Spanish and French contacts on Skype and I use this site to talk to French and Spanish people. I also have a French friend, but I really can't talk to her because my French is that crappy :frown: I've talked to a lot of Spanish people though and we have a Spanish assistant. I don't say all I want to say to her though! Haha. My friend went to Canada TRIED to speak French to some guy in a shop and then he replied to her in English. I wish I was there to see it!
Original post by Respect4Acting
Wow! is there any reason there hasn't been a Spanish society till now? Spanish is such a popular language.

Well, there's been a Spanish society....but there wasn't one for learners, as such! I kept getting PM's from GCSE/A level students asking for a hand, so I thought it would be good to get everyone together :biggrin:
Original post by Mistersjmcg
who the **** struggles with spanish? why don't you put something up that's useful.

If this thread is of no use or interest to you, please don't post! Thank you :smile:
Original post by nexttime
Hola todo! (does that even make sense lol)?

A former GCSE student here re-learning spanish potentially for use for work in South America in two years time. I'm using spanishdict.com and its been useful so far (even if the woman's voice is annoying! :tongue: ). So far i'm finding that readin text it comes back quite fast (e.g. the posts above), however, saying and writing stuff is very hard! Just can't remember the vocab i used to have. Lots of work ahead of me!

May ask a few questions if freetranslation can't answer them. For now, in my broken spanish (and before i've learned to type spanish characters - doing that tomorrow):

Por que aprenden otras personas espanol? Solo los examenes?

*Hola a todos :smile:
Que tal?
It's great that you're re-learning Spanish (although, you'll be amazed by how much you remember!).

Personalmente, yo aprendo español porque tengo familia de países como Cuba, La República Dominicana y Costa Rica! Entonces, el idioma me interesa mucho! Desgraciadamente, nunca he visitado a estos lugares, pero me voy en los anos próximos! :biggrin: Y tu?
I like the look of this thread. :smile: Spanish sounds really sexy, and it's one of the most widely spoken languages, so I want to learn it! I know a decent amount of french, I'm hoping there's some overlap between the two languages... but otherwise, I'm gonna be trying to learn it from scratch :eek:

Hola!

It is a lovely language :rolleyes:
Yes, there will be overlaps, so no issues there! You will be fine learning it from scratch if you have a good knowledge of French! Have a look at some of the links in my first post, they may help you :biggrin:

Saludos!
Original post by FuzzySheep
Hola a todo!

Me encanta a usar esto hilo para improvar mi Espanol. Estoy muy mal con examenes que necesita escuchando, hispanohablantes me parece que hablar con prisa! Empezaré a usar los emisoras que son en el primero puesto.

Hola :smile:

En vez de decir improvar (porque que yo sepa, no existe!), usa el verbo 'mejorar' (to better/to improve) :biggrin:

Si, hablan con prisa, pero necesitas practicar mucho! Escuchar la radio y ver vídeos y películas en español para mejorar tus habilidades de escuchar :biggrin:
Reply 38
Original post by Sem193
Pienso que es "Hola a todos/hola todos" :smile:

ah si - habia pensado no fue correcto!

Hola!!! Aprendo espanol por mis examenes. No voy a estudiarlo en la universidad pero voy a continuar a aprenderlo. Dios mio. Es muy dificil escribir en espanol.

No estudiarias en la universidad? Muy triste! (is that a correct use of triste?)

Necesito escribir y hablar espanol mas :smile:

Y yo - sin duda.

Conoceis el sitio web http://www.sharedtalk.com ? Se puede hablar con y escribir a personas de todo el mundo :smile:

He visto otras sitios etc - quiza utilizo mas tarde.
Reply 39
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
*Hola a todos :smile:
Que tal?
It's great that you're re-learning Spanish (although, you'll be amazed by how much you remember!).

Yeah writing 'hola toda' didn't feel right - i guess that in itself is a good thing, even if i don't know how to correct my mistakes yet! :tongue:

Personalmente, yo aprendo español porque tengo familia de países como Cuba, La República Dominicana y Costa Rica! Entonces, el idioma me interesa mucho! Desgraciadamente, nunca he visitado a estos lugares, pero me voy en los anos próximos! :biggrin: Y tu?

Muy emocionante. Tengo una amiga de St Kitts & Nevis, pero hablan Ingles (o 'Ingles' - el dialecto es demasiado diferente)! Sin embargo, ella habla un poco de espanol (mas que a mi), coincidentemente.

Sorry about the typing - sorting it out soon - and some of those words were shamelessly lifted out of the dictionary :tongue: I figure it will help me learn though.

I have a question for someone - what kinds of 'filler' words are there in spanish (and any specific to latin america would be even better!). e.g. someone is telling a long story and you want to show you're listening - i would say things like 'i see', 'yes', 'oh', etc. What are the translations? (as i don't think the dictionary will be very helpful here!)

Thanks for any help, and to anyone that points out mistakes i make.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending