The Student Room Group

Most overrated people in history...?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PierceBrosnan
Martin Luther King. Yes, he had excellent rhetoric and did contribute extensively in various ways to the Civil Rights movement but not much really did happen because of him.

First neg...

I totally agree, all he did was co-ordinate movements, nothing special really.
Marilyn Monroe. I don't see the attraction. Yes she was beautiful but what else?
Reply 42
Winston Churchill I completely agree with.

He, along with 50 other Tories, set up the Indian Defence League which was against Indian Nationalism. He also quite the misogynist; opposing female enfranchisement and female involvement in anything but housework in general.

He was an admirable leader during wartime, but Britain needed a decisive leader - not Churchill in particular.

Besides after the war, and after he lost power, Atlee did a much better job sorting the finances.
Katie Price.
Original post by JessyPhil
Marilyn Monroe. I don't see the attraction. Yes she was beautiful but what else?

That's the only the reason she was famous for, nobody said she was smart or anything...

Steve Jobs.
Reply 45
Jordan. Kim Kardashian also
Original post by Boqore
For you information, Martin was a man that established an end to racial segregation in an iconic speech. Simply listening to his 'I have a dream' speech sends goose bumps down you spine. He did it with speeches, lectures and marches without violence, even though he was arrested twenty times, assaulted four times, and his house was bombed.
I also believe because of his speech, America has finally got a black president.

True, King was a man of great rhetoric. However, not much really was done because of him and the SCLC. I have listened to the "I have a dream" speech many times and it is a great speech. The Civil Rights movement were essentially fighting the same battles over and over again which could be argued either down to Federalism and/or the Federal government. But it could be argued that it was King's moderate position which caused a massive polarisation about him and the movement.

One last point. King did not end racial segregation as de facto segregation was still prominent in the North and this is shown by the Black Panther movement encouraged segregation away from white Americans.
Matt bellamy
Reply 48
KIM KARDASHIAN .... useless slag
Original post by WhatamIdoing
Probably the most underrated in fact.

Definitely.
Reply 50

Martin Luther King. Yes, he had excellent rhetoric and did contribute extensively in various ways to the Civil Rights movement but not much really did happen because of him.

First neg...

I must agree, he was more in the right place at the right time, and he was pushed into the limelight at first. By 1968 it was clear he was not making progress in the north, and so I believe he is overrated.
Original post by kaylafrances
If anyone dares to say Leonardo da Vinci...

Leonardo da vinci.

all he done was paint pictures :s-smilie:

dont get the hype G.
Original post by fuze-mo25
KIM KARDASHIAN .... useless slag

ONLY INSECURE GUYS CALL GIRLS THEY DONT KNOW SLAGS.

it's a defence mechanism. most of these guys would kill to get with these 'slags'
Reply 53
Original post by daphodil

Original post by daphodil
Matilda.

She didn't make the most of her eye-moving powers at all. WASTE.

I think you got the wrong one.
Original post by La_Furia_Spanja
Leonardo da vinci.

dont get the hype G.

WHAT!?
Reply 55
Original post by Super Cicero

Original post by Super Cicero
What a stupid list. Winston Churchill is in no way overrated. Ok, maybe some people do tend to overlook his flaws and make out he was perfect - an example is the film The King's Speech, in which Churchill is depicted as being supportive of the "goody" George VI during the abdication crisis, when in reality Winston was on the side of nazi-sympathising Edward VIII. However, having flaws does not make Churchill any less great. Nobody could have led Britain through the war, particuarly through 1940-1, with anywhere near the level of capability that Churchill possessed.

I would say John F. Kennedy is overrated.

I would agree. Chamberlain would have folded to German demands.
drake/ anything to do with YMCMB / yolo.. << wtf?
Original post by La_Furia_Spanja
Leonardo da vinci.

dont get the hype G.

He's probably the cleverest person to ever live, I'd even go so far as to say he's godly, since I don't follow bull**** religions.
Get yourself one of these:

Then talk to me.
Original post by kaylafrances
He's probably the cleverest person to ever live, I'd even go so far as to say he's godly, since I don't follow bull**** religions.
Get yourself one of these:

Then talk to me.

all i see is a an x luvy.

be more assertive please. follow through more.
Reply 59
Justin Bieber, nuff said

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending