Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will Federer ever get #1 Back?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally think he will. Although he's 30 Federer is still a force to be reckoned with and at his best, he is better than any other player at their best. 2011 was a bad year for him but towards the end, he managed to go on a 17 match winning streak, winning several tournaments in the process.

I think if he comes into 2012 firing on all cylinders, he can easily get his #1 back, especially since childish idiots like Djokovic aren't expected to last long in the limelight and Nadal is injured.

Thoughts?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    I personally think he will. Although he's 30 Federer is still a force to be reckoned with and at his best, he is better than any other player at their best. 2011 was a bad year for him but towards the end, he managed to go on a 17 match winning streak, winning several tournaments in the process.

I think if he comes into 2012 firing on all cylinders, he can easily get his #1 back, especially since childish idiots like Djokovic aren't expected to last long in the limelight and Nadal is injured.

Thoughts?
    Yeah I agree, im a big fan of Roger and to be honest he was a bit unlucky at times especially at the majors eg. US open, Novak hitting a glory shot on match point on Fed's serve.

so it was a good year by most peoples standards but judged by the standard set by Roger, it wasnt great. Hopefully he can get back to number 1.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, i'd like him to though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I love Roger, absolute professional. But I don't see him regaining his number 1 spot. Not because he isn't playing well, more because of the competition around him is becoming a lot stronger.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    :yawn:

djokivic > federer in my opinion

and nadal, well :dontknow:

don't let me get started on murray

so #2 at most
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oasis Jnr)
    :yawn:

djokivic > federer in my opinion
    Specifically for 2011, I will agree to a point. Djokovic is certainly a good player but overall, if we are considering all their years of professional playing, there is no chance that Djokovic can be considered better than Federer on any level whatsoever.

Federer: More grand slams, more tournament wins, been rank 1 ridiculous number of years, good on all courts, not cocky, plays with his heart

Djokovic: Had 1 good year, cocky like no tomorrow, GIVES UP EASILY, goes for random hail mary shots

I'd rather you have said Nadal is better than Federer since you'd actually have a few points to back up that claim. Djokovic is nothing...just had a good year is all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    Specifically for 2011, I will agree to a point. Djokovic is certainly a good player but overall, if we are considering all their years of professional playing, there is no chance that Djokovic can be considered better than Federer on any level whatsoever.

Federer: More grand slams, more tournament wins, been rank 1 ridiculous number of years, good on all courts, not cocky, plays with his heart

Djokovic: Had 1 good year, cocky like no tomorrow, GIVES UP EASILY, goes for random hail mary shots

I'd rather you have said Nadal is better than Federer since you'd actually have a few points to back up that claim. Djokovic is nothing...just had a good year is all.
    I should have said it was 2011.

You're right, djok has 1 good year but that doesn't make him better than federer like that
    I was just saying for this year, and if djok continues the way he's playing, then fed will lose out
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope so, there is not one player I like watching more than Federer's technical genius, such a class act on and off the court. Then probably after that for me it has to be Murry's style of play as it's slightly reminiscent of Federer's. Don't really enjoy watching Djok or Rafa.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Very difficult question even as a fan.

In terms of his ability it is still as good as ever and so i cannot see him exiting the top 4.

I think what sets Federer apart is that he is brilliant on every single surface whereas Murray for example is poor on clay.

In regards to retaking the number one spot i think it may be possible but the grand slams would need to be split (Nadal or Djokovic not winning more than two and Federer winning at least one).

The problem that Federer has now is that in the GS it seems that he is able to be fatigued (either fitness or age) and so if you can hold him for more than 2.5 hours, then as Tsonga and Djokovic have shown you can win.

I can see Federer regaining the number one spot if he gets into SF's regularly during the clay court season and wins a few masters on grass and hard courts then it leaves it down to his GS performance and being reliant on no one player being dominant.

In conclusion, i do not see dominance for Federer but he stands a good chance of taking and just about holding the number one spot.

Unbeaten matches now - 20 (and if he beats Nadal on Sunday he will have 5 ranking tournaments in a row).
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who is Will Federer?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    Who is Will Federer?
    It's him I can't believe you didn't know

P.s He is injured now so apparently he may not be able to be a part of the Australian open
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glow in the dark)
    It's him I can't believe you didn't know

Isn't that Will Smith?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does he play enough tournaments to get the ranking points?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    Isn't that Will Smith?
    Nah it's Will Federer
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he will ever be number 1 again, which is a shame. He has the likes of Murray, Djokovic and Nadal to contend with as well as being 4-5 years older.

I as a Nadal supporter adore Federer simply because of the numerous breath-taking finals. The competition between fineness and technique vs raw power and ridiculous spin. It was something to marvel at. Now tennis just seems boring without these two contesting for the grand slams.

I will concede Djokovic will be at the top (or near it) for the next few years, however I hate him as a person and a player. Just thought I would put that in there.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glow in the dark)
    Nah it's Will Federer
    Weird he looks a lot like Will Smith:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Smith
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, he can't consistently play at a high enough level anymore.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope Federer gets that #1 spot back. At his age, most tennis players either retire or just flop. This guy is a legend of the game. His technical ability and skill is just amazing and deserves to be at the top for a few more years. Federer is a true sportsman, he is gracious in defeat and does not become cocky if he wins. Just look at his reaction after winning that record breaking Grand Slam, he barely mentions his name with other tennis greats out of respect.

I think that if he can continue his winning form, then he may have a chance at the upcoming Australian Open. The matches between him and Nadal were always entertaining as both players are gifted in different ways. But I think that Djokovic might be around for some time and might break these two players' dominance.

On a final note, Murray is just so rubbish. He is over-hyped by the British media when he is nothing but crap and useless. Does not possess any qualities like technical ability, power or speed. Always hyped up before Grand Slam's and ends up failing hugely. He is not of Grand Slam quality.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Last year he reached 2 GS semis (one of them, ridiculusly close to getting into the final), 1 final, and 1 quarters. How has he not been consistent?

He's not as consistent as he once was like reaching the finals of every GS and winning 3 of them each year, but thats a ridiculously good standard by which to judge anyone. I would say he still has a greater chance than murray in all of the GS this year.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internet tough guy)
    Last year he reached 2 GS semis (one of them, ridiculusly close to getting into the final), 1 final, and 1 quarters. How has he not been consistent?

He's not as consistent as he once was like reaching the finals of every GS and winning 3 of them each year, but thats a ridiculously good standard by which to judge anyone. I would say he still has a greater chance than murray in all of the GS this year.
    Dunno if you're referring to me there since I mentioned lack of consistency.

He was fairly consistent last year, but not consistent enough to be number 1 (compare with what he was like in 2006, for instance, where he was just in God mode the whole year).

I know he's not a joke now, but I don't see how he can get back to number one. Winning another slam is possible, since he can still play well enough for 2 weeks, but I can't see him maintaining a high enough level across an extended period of time to reach no1, especially since Nadal and Djokovic are both very consistent.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 16, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.