The Student Room Group

Should Psychology be accepted as a science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I also think one of the main reasons it is seen by the general public as a pseudo-science or not even a science at all is because as a scientific discipline it's only really been for around 50 years. It's actually remarkable how far it's come in those years.
Reply 21
Original post by Miracle Day
This is so true. What exam board did you do at school? And I look forward to studying Psychology when I reach University :smile:

I did Edexcel A level. To be honest A level Psychology is not a science. It's probably on the same wavelength as History, English, Geography purely because it is just a test of your memory. Loads to learn, not much application. Although we did learn about some basic research methods/stats at A level which moved it up to that awkward position between sciences and humanities along with Economics and Geography. At university it is far more than just learning and recalling bits of info.

Where have you applied?
Original post by Liquid27
Erm, I'm currently an IB natural sciences student at Cambridge, taking experimental psychology as one of my second year options.

The course does emphasise experimental technique, just as any other natural sciences option and if you choose to take it as a part II subject, you will get a BPS recognised degree.

I presume you would graduate with a degree in Psychology then? Obviously you would graduate it with it being BPS-accredited.
Reply 23
Original post by skotch
I did Edexcel A level. To be honest A level Psychology is not a science. It's probably on the same wavelength as History, English, Geography purely because it is just a test of your memory. Loads to learn, not much application. Although we did learn about some basic research methods/stats at A level which moved it up to that awkward position between sciences and humanities along with Economics and Geography. At university it is far more than just learning and recalling bits of info.

Where have you applied?

I hope to apply for Cardiff next year ^_^

Well in WJEC we study the following

Cognitive

Behaviourist

Biological

Pschodynamic

The first three are Science based, and the final one is perhaps more theoretical, but hey.. alot of Science is also theoretical.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm not sure how people can say it's a science when there is the whole neuroscience & psychobiology aspect of it, in this way it is close to being as scientific as biology is.

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=buy.optionToBuy&id=2004-11097-002
Original post by Emmaayziing

Original post by Emmaayziing
I'm not sure how people can say it's a science when there is the whole neuroscience & psychobiology aspect of it, in this way it is close to being as scientific as biology is.

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=buy.optionToBuy&id=2004-11097-002

:rofl: at Sociology being so low.
Reply 26
I think it's about time you realise the world does not revolve around what you think. You can't say it's a social science when infact it is these days considered a science.

One thing that makes it a science is the way Psychology is studied. With hypothesis', theories, experiments, laboratories etc.

But how much of that is considered psychology and how much is neuroscience? I think that is why people have trouble accepting psychology as a science in it's own right, because the theories and hypothesis' behind psychiatric disorders are already being investigated under an existing branch of science.
Reply 27
Did a debate at school about this and I found this article quite helpful if anyone's interested:
Is Psychology a Science?
Science:

Formal science = Mathematics, some parts of computer science, logic, statistics etc

Physical science = astronomy, physics, chemistry, earth science

Life science = Biology

Social science = economics, Anthropology · Archaeology, psychology, Political science and sociology.

So, yes psychology is a science.
surely these days it's more beneficial for the common person to know more about how their mind works than it is for them to know about the structure of atoms?

I don't think you are giving chemistry or physics a fair hearing in regards to the number of lives they have and continue to save and the massive improvement in living standards gained by the application of physical science. Why do you think chemistry and physics are no longer useful?

As for psychology, judging by it's research, it certainly can be a science, but it does seem to tolerate the unscientific as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by ChemistBoy
I don't think you are giving chemistry or physics a fair hearing in regards to the number of lives they have and continue to save and the massive improvement in living standards gained by the application of physical science. Why do you think chemistry and physics are no longer useful?

Oh, I know they are useful.. of course they are! I've not stated they're no longer useful, I've just said to the average person knowing more about Psychology could be more beneficial.

Edit: I'll also remind you this isn't a thread stating Psychology is superior, but more why isn't there room for both?
(edited 12 years ago)
May be controversial but one of my teachers teaches both Biology and Psychology and she said that Biology is far more difficult and demanding than the former. So regardless of the content, in a high school context I don't think it's seen as rigorous enough a subject for it to be considered a Science in the same way as Biology, Chemistry and Physics are.
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh, I know they are useful.. of course they are! I've not stated they're no longer useful, I've just said to the average person knowing more about Psychology could be more beneficial.

I think making those distinctions between the sciences is a bit pointless for the average person. We just need to try and improve basic standards of numeracy and give people the tools to try and evaluate evidence more critically themselves.
Reply 33
I've had this argument many times with school friends, me studying Psychology and them studying Chemistry/Biology/Physics/Maths. They claim Psychology shouldn't be recognised as a Science because as they argue "it simply isn't".

I know most of you will agree, as the majority of TSR do these subjects but surely these days it's more beneficial for the common person to know more about how their mind works than it is for them to know about the structure of atoms?

15% of people with depression will commit suicide, around 340 million people suffer from depresion and suicide is the leading cause of death among adults and children under 35 years old. That's 51 million people with depression that will commit suicide. Around 60 million people died in world war two, and we would do anything to prevent World War 2 from happening again. So what about the 51 million estimated to commit suicide with depression? If they were more knowledged with how they think and with therapies that can help them get better how many lives would be saved.

Take Gary Speed the Welsh manager that killed himself. He seemed fine, but obviously he was suffering deep inside to take his own life. Perhaps he knew more about his mind he'd be able to have seeken help. Psychologists seem foreign to most people, Psychology as a subject is a very useful tool.

I'm not arguing that Psychology is superior to the Sciences, but should it be fully accepted as a Science?

Here are a few key posts that I'll add.

Spoiler

What's your argument? Psychology is important and there should be considered a science? Changes in socioeconomic policies would probably save 10-fold that number but I don't hear anyone ranting and raving about people not considering politics a science.

EDIT: I should add that the keyword is NATURAL sciences.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by TheNod
What's your argument? Psychology is important and there should be considered a science? Changes in socioeconomic policies would probably save 10-fold that number but I don't hear anyone ranting and raving about people not considering politics a science.

I'm sorry what Socioeconomic policies are these? How the **** would politics being a Science save lives?
Erm, I'm currently an IB natural sciences student at Cambridge, taking experimental psychology as one of my second year options.

The course does emphasise experimental technique, just as any other natural sciences option and if you choose to take it as a part II subject, you will get a BPS recognised degree.

Are you 100% sure about that? I heard otherwise?

And...

Tit Hallers only :angry:

Spoiler

Reply 36
I'm sorry what Socioeconomic policies are these? How the **** would politics being a Science save lives?

A more equal distribution of resources (ie. food and medicine) could save millions.

I think you need to re-read and think about my post. You've missed the point completely. I'm not arguing that politics should be a science, I was extrapolating the logic used by OP ('Psychology could save millions of lives, psychology should be a science').
Reply 37
Original post by PeeWeeDan
Are you 100% sure about that? I heard otherwise?

And...

Tit Hallers only :angry:

Spoiler

http://www.psychol.cam.ac.uk/pages/teaching/bps.html

BOOM!BOOM!BOOM!...repeat ad nausea:wink:
(edited 12 years ago)

Fair enough. It's a travesty others don't realize how much of a tool you sound when you do the BOOM thing though :p:

And Psychology still isn't a science!
Reply 39
Original post by Member737,514
May be controversial but one of my teachers teaches both Biology and Psychology and she said that Biology is far more difficult and demanding than the former. So regardless of the content, in a high school context I don't think it's seen as rigorous enough a subject for it to be considered a Science in the same way as Biology, Chemistry and Physics are.

Psychology is too difficult and broad for it to be taught properly in schools. Therefore at A level the furthest it can go is covering just the interesting bits.

Quick Reply

Latest