The Student Room Group

Are my parents commiting fraud?

Scroll to see replies

it's your blue badge not theirs

blue badge and motability fraud is widespread and it needs the peoplewho actually have the badge / are entitled to DLA(HRM) to be an active part of policing it ...

they should only use the blue badge if at least one 'half' of the journey involves you , while the rules about the use of Motability cars / 'disabled' zero VED are slightly different ( and rather broader)...
Original post by Ice Constricter
Wow heartless. You own parents??!!?? :confused:

and if it had been someone else who reported them the OP could be faced with losing her Blue badge unless and until she moved out.

if the OPs parents get the wind up them from the enforcement Officer at their LA they may well behave properly in the future, especially once they know the consequences of their actions.

the OP needs to take control of their own blue badge.
Reply 22
Original post by AvatarMew
I just went to the police and they told me to phone the council about this.

Your parents must be so proud to have a child like you...

Did you even tell your parents to stop using it illegally first?
I've just noticed, reading the original headline for this thread, that you believe your parents have committed FRUAD - we can all relax, it's fruad he's worried about, not fraud, as we all thought.
Original post by AvatarMew
This has been going on for many years, it's go on long enough, they can't get away with this!

If your parents get arrested what are you planning to do?
You either have to be in the car when they park or they have to be picking you up. However, there are some places that state that the disabled person must be in the car when the car is parked. Stupidly, this means the driver (non-blue badge holder) would need to find somewhere to park and then collect the disabled person and put them in the car.

What a PITA.
Original post by zippyRN
and if it had been someone else who reported them the OP could be faced with losing her Blue badge unless and until she moved out.

if the OPs parents get the wind up them from the enforcement Officer at their LA they may well behave properly in the future, especially once they know the consequences of their actions.

Gimmie a break, it's not like his parents have committed murder or anything. He can consult his parents first, he should be firm when outlining the law to them.

the OP needs to take control of their own blue badge.

If you read the first post you'd see that the OP isn't even sure why they have a blue badge in the first place, I'm surprised nobody has questioned that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
That depends. What is "fruad"?
Reply 28
Original post by insignificant
They can have the blue badge aslong as you are inte car when they are using it.

Or doing something specifically for the disabled person. eg collecting their prescription

Abuse of it is a ****y thing to do though

And afaik the LB of Westminster is the only UK local authority that does not recognise them and allow parking in places that other people can't. Might be different now but that was the case at one point
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by viffer
Or doing something specifically for the disabled person. eg collecting their prescription

That's incorrect. The disabled person either has to be in the car or being picked up.
Reply 30
Original post by OU Student
That's incorrect. The disabled person either has to be in the car or being picked up.

Honestly can't say you are wrong now but when my dad had one my mum could use it to do certain things on his behalf. eg the prescription thing I mentioned earlier. Might have changed since then to prevent abuse.

EDIT:- I'm wrong :colondollar:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeople/motoringandtransport/dg_4001061
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by viffer
Honestly can't say you are wrong now but when my dad had one my mum could use it to do certain things on his behalf. eg the prescription thing I mentioned earlier. Might have changed since then to prevent abuse.

EDIT:- I'm wrong :colondollar:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeople/motoringandtransport/dg_4001061

You might be thinking of a motability car? That can be used to pick up prescriptions for the disabled person.
Reply 32
It probably is illegal or at least frowned upon. But, there are much bigger crimes out there and I'm pretty sure they'd just get away with a slap on the wrist.
If it's really bothering you then you have the right to pull them up about it, but calling the police is a little bit extreme. You could always google it and get some information on it, and then show them?
Reply 33
Original post by OU Student
You might be thinking of a motability car? That can be used to pick up prescriptions for the disabled person.

He didn't have one of those but he did have Mobility Allowance. I know (knew?) you could forego the allowance for the vehicle but I distinctly remember him telling me my mum could use it on his behalf. Anyway, academic now as the rules don't allow that .....and he is no longer with us :frown:
Well as the OP has already dobbed in their parents, there is no more advise I can give about the situation ... but look out for the next new thread by the OP:

"My parent's have kicked me out ... where can I and my blue badge go (you know, the one I ain't got a car for)"
Original post by viffer

<snip>

no that's more to do with the wider uses of Zero VED 'disabled' class cars .

the Blue badge holder has to be physically present for at least one 'half' of the journey if the blue badge is used.
Reply 36
Original post by zippyRN
no that's more to do with the wider uses of Zero VED 'disabled' class cars.

He didn't have one of those either.

Original post by zippyRN
the Blue badge holder has to be physically present for at least one 'half' of the journey if the blue badge is used.

Might be the case now and I've proved that with the Direct Gov link. Definitely wasn't then

Anyway, as I said, it's academic now
Original post by zippyRN

There are some car parks that state the disabled person must be in the car when the car is being parked. That makes no sense - because it would mean having to park in a standard bay which might be quite far away, when you go to pick the disabled person up.
Original post by JongKey
So you'd go to the police and complain about your own parents?

Wow... what the world has come to now. Ever thought of speaking to your parents? Why in the world do you want to go to the police and get your parents into trouble? I know it's illegal but explain that to your parents first.

OP
I have spoken to them about this and they have told me that they are intentled to using the badge...

Society is going to the dogs because people let others get away with "it"...
My mother told me that as it is her's due to her lisense eing on it she can use it for whatever she wants... They use it for personal use (Nothing to do with me) isn't that illegal?

Quick Reply

Latest