The Student Room Group

Going to university aged 22

I'm 20 at the moment, and was planning on applying to go to university next year. But I need extra qualifications so will need to study for an extra year before I can even think of applying. This means I'll be going to university at 22.

People keep asking me what I'm doing with my life, and now it's getting to the point where they have stopped as they probably don't think I'll end up at university, particularly my extended family.

I want to apply to good universities so in a way it's good that I'm taking time to decide, but really I wish I was going next year :frown:. I have lost friends over the years and can't wait to make new ones, and I feel like I'll be too old at 22 to really get the university experience, and I kind of regret leaving it so late. Everyone else I know my age is at university having the time of their life.

Please guys make me feel better :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
You probably havent got a reply because there is no real question or idea to be debated in your post.
There is nothing wrong with holding uni back until you decide on something you would want to do. In fact this is a wise decision as you save money.

If you want to go to university just to make friends I dont think this is the right decision. I dont agree with the quote "The friends you make at uni are your friends for life". When everyone graduates we all scatter to all sorts of locations seeing as most students dont go to their local university. Its not easy to maintain a genuine friendship when your in one country and you are in another or are in on the complete oposite side.

Decide what you want to do before you go to university. Obviously what you want to do should be evaluated against your strengths & weaknesses and the real world issues of the career.
Reply 3
I've just started uni at 20. There are people in my halls who are my age, 21 and 27 who fit in fine with everyone else and are getting as much out of the university experience as the 18 year olds.
Reply 4
what do you plan to study
Reply 5
I know of quite a few people who are going to be starting uni at that age or older. When you get to a certain age, age doesn't really matter. You'll get mature people, immature people, people you do or don't get on with whatever the circumstances.

Go to uni, do what you want to do and have a blast. Age is really no factor, and tbh it's not much of an age gap at all, and they'll be people of all ages, you'll probably be surprised.
Reply 6
Go to uni.
You will love it.
I have friends when I started (I was 19) aged between 18 and 26.
Age is just a number you would not be odd one out.
no wayyyy, there's 2 people on my floor aged 22 and 21, and they fit in perfectly with us young ones :biggrin:
Reply 8
It makes no difference. The oldest person on my course was in her 40's No one will know your age anyway.
Reply 9
Thanks, feeling better about it all already :smile:. I guess it's not the end of the world..
22 is still pretty young! uni is full of people from all ages tbh and youll make freinds easily with people on your courses and everything! and secondly your doing the right thing! once youv gotten your qualifications and got into a decent university all your hard work will pay of! :smile:
I just turned 23 and am in year 1 of a 5 year course. Going back into education was one of the best decisions I have made and there are loads of others there too. 22 is nothing. You've got your life at least another 3 times over yet :smile:
Reply 12
I was 21 when i went to uni, it wasn't an issue at all. There is that somewhat awkward moment when people realise you are a bit older, but that didn't seem to make me an outcast or anything. As long as you're fairly outgoing and don't make an issue of it yourself, you'll still make friends. The only way i could imagine it being a problem is if you have an attitude of superiority and look down on the other students by considering yourself far more mature.
I've got people aged 30+ in my course and they fit in perfectly fine with everyone else. Generally speaking, students at university have matured enough to look past the age/race gaps and get on with everyone.
definitely go for it - my boyfriend started uni at 24 and is loving it, and there are all kinds of ages on his course so he's not looked down on for being that age at all. it really won't matter, so go for it!
There's nothing wrong with going to uni later!

I first started uni right after A-levels, then dropped out and went to a completely different uni from Year 1 when I was 22 also. I was a bit worried about not fitting in and such, but it's not bad at all! My uni isn't terribly social in general, but I have friends in my course (most of whom are 19 while I'm 23 but it's no big deal) and I've also met a couple of older students that I get along with. You're definitely going to fit in, and you're not wasting your life away by putting uni off a few years. It's not like you're putting it off so you can hang around your house!
Reply 16
It depends what you want to get out of your uni experience. If it's the time of your life then you may or may not struggle. Most mature students fit in, but if you become obsessed by being a mature student it will probably show and won't benefit you.

If you're looking to develop a career which is only possible through a degree then it is absolutely the route to go.
Reply 17
Hey, just an update - I'm feeling better about the situation :biggrin: I'm going to embark on to an access course in September, and I can't wait to get stuck in. Thanks guys x
Reply 18
Hi there, can I ask have you been working since 18-22? I'm 22 and I haven't been. I'm worried this will affect my PS as a mature student what if they ask about the gap? I have a gap because I did my A Levels all over again and retook. I've only had one job and that was only for three months. I'm so worried about that.
Original post by Rubyx
Hi there, can I ask have you been working since 18-22? I'm 22 and I haven't been. I'm worried this will affect my PS as a mature student what if they ask about the gap? I have a gap because I did my A Levels all over again and retook. I've only had one job and that was only for three months. I'm so worried about that.

The OP is 26 now im sure its married and everything.

U won't get a reply

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending