The Student Room Group

It's NYE and i'm sat at home depressed

I'm stuck at home with just my mother as my sister has been invited by all her friend to go out. I texted my friend and asked him if he was doing anything on NYE and he said that he's too broke to do anything. Just yesterday on Facebook he was talking to his other mate and said that he's already bought his ticket for a party that's happening. Why would he lie? I've also seen on FB that they're all arranging a meet up and no one has invited me. I've texted them and they just say that they don't know what they're doing.
I'm tired of making all the effort. I don't know what to do and my mum just says that i shouldn't bother with people and be used to being on my own. She has no friends and its really pathetic how she doesn't see herself as much and just keeps coming into my room all the time which is annoying. I don't really have close friends at uni. My flatmates rarely go out and the societies i've joined go out mid-week but they're all mostly jocks and i don't think I'd get on with them.
What do i do in 2012 so that i can have real friends??

Scroll to see replies

Umm you may not want my thought or advice but I'll say anyway haha...

I'm 21 and I have no friends...I deleted my fb months ago cos I was so tired of hearing about other people's lives, people who didn't really care about me and vice versa.

I then left uni where I found it difficult to make friends.

I am now working as a care assistant and have taken up a new hobby (guitar) and although I have no friends I really don't mind. In Feb I will start studying with the OU. I love working so I have all sorts to focus on.

I do ask my mother whether I am a weirdo because I have no friends anymore whereas my older sister is forever going out with friends and her bf. She says no, I am just my own person and happy to be on my own.

At school I was really different; loads of friends and sociable. I lost all that when I went to college and it really bothered me so for two years i was just really sad. Now I don't care because I generally love my life.

So my advice to you is to delete fb, it ob. isn't doing any good to you, and your mum is probably right.

Loads of people will probably disagree with me but hey everyone's different.
Reply 2
NYE is an overrated event in my view. Its just a date on the calendar and tomorrow it will read 2012 instead of 11. Your still young and with a positive attitude and make an effort you will have plenty of opportunity to be happy. Just don't close yourself and put yourself down. You cheat yourself by doing that.
Reply 3
mean girls on tv mate, i'm ****ing loving it.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm stuck at home with just my mother as my sister has been invited by all her friend to go out. I texted my friend and asked him if he was doing anything on NYE and he said that he's too broke to do anything. Just yesterday on Facebook he was talking to his other mate and said that he's already bought his ticket for a party that's happening. Why would he lie? I've also seen on FB that they're all arranging a meet up and no one has invited me. I've texted them and they just say that they don't know what they're doing.
I'm tired of making all the effort. I don't know what to do and my mum just says that i shouldn't bother with people and be used to being on my own. She has no friends and its really pathetic how she doesn't see herself as much and just keeps coming into my room all the time which is annoying. I don't really have close friends at uni. My flatmates rarely go out and the societies i've joined go out mid-week but they're all mostly jocks and i don't think I'd get on with them.

You dont need to be sat at home depressed as soon as that clock is about to chime you should strip, and run down your street naked. Streaking makes everything ok.
Haha join the club :biggrin:

Tbh though, this year seems like a bit of a flop anyway. None of my housemates are back at uni (they're all having a quiet one with their families too) and the pubs here closed at 9!

Personally I enjoy a nice evening with a good film now and then :smile:
Reply 6
Sitting in my flat all alone on New Year's Eve. Can't honestly say I've ever done anything interesting on NYE. I'm working at improving my social calendar in the New Year, so I'll focus on that.
Reply 7
i had to come back to my uni house for work so im sat on my own chillin with music reading a book and relaxing =] its what you make of it mate
dont let idiots get u down
start the new year with a fresh mind =]
Original post by Foo.mp3
Dude.. how you are 'inexperienced'/not in a relationship/not out on NYE I will never know :rolleyes:

Lol I'm not out on NYE cos my mates from uni are spending theirs at home and where I'm at home there's bugger all to do :biggrin: (unless you fancy paying a couple of hundred pounds to go to the local country clubs do, which I don't!) Can't say I'm particularly bothered either!
Reply 9

1. If your "friends" are making plans behind your back and intentionally leaving you out of stuff not to be around you then they're not your friends. Ditch them.

2. Go out, find some FUN activities, something that YOU enjoy doing. Don't TRY to make friends, do some things that you enjoy and eventually you will meet new and interesting people.

3. Stop whining and worrying. There are lots of people sitting home, by themselves, watching tv or playing a game. Sometimes, you have to be comfortable by yourself. If you REALLY want to get out the house, go to somewhere crowded, where you'll meet a lot of people, and just have fun by yourself!
Original post by Foo.mp3
You live in the sticks? Cba paying more than like 20 squid to get in someplace on NYE meself, unless it's gonna be a huge night!.. but then I am max Jewbags :smile:

Sticks doesn't really begin to describe it.... My university has a bigger population than the county I live in!
Reply 11
Original post by Foo.mp3
You live in the sticks? Cba paying more than like 20 squid to get in someplace on NYE meself, unless it's gonna be a huge night!.. but then I am max Jewbags :smile:

True!
Original post by Foo.mp3
Haha, awwh! Lincolnshire?

Smaller and more rural :frown: lol
Original post by Foo.mp3
I'm afraid I've expended my knowledge of hick counties right there me dearie :tongue: Which direction should I move in?..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutland
hey, just be the best possible friend you can, that way if it was a malicious, intentional lie they'll just feel really guilty. Take a good look around you, you've probably got more friends than you think, and as for new years, don't let it get you down, be positive and aim to face next year with a positive attitude.

tbh, i know i havent really said much to help but hey, i'm tired.:smile:
Original post by puddingandpie

I'm 21 and I have no friends...I deleted my fb months ago cos I was so tired of hearing about other people's lives, people who didn't really care about me and vice versa.

I am now working as a care assistant and have taken up a new hobby (guitar) and although I have no friends I really don't mind. In Feb I will start studying with the OU. I love working so I have all sorts to focus on.

I do ask my mother whether I am a weirdo because I have no friends anymore whereas my older sister is forever going out with friends and her bf. She says no, I am just my own person and happy to be on my own.

At school I was really different; loads of friends and sociable. I lost all that when I went to college and it really bothered me so for two years i was just really sad. Now I don't care because I generally love my life.

So my advice to you is to delete fb, it ob. isn't doing any good to you, and your mum is probably right.

Thank god some else has discovered the truth of facebook and how it ruins and messes things up :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by puddingandpie

You know i was thinking about deactivating my facebook. I waste so much time one it and it honestly does get depressing to see everyone out and about enjoying themselves and having fun.

Do you think that i should get used to being alone for all my life and not bother with people??
Reply 17
You know i was thinking about deactivating my facebook. I waste so much time one it and it honestly does get depressing to see everyone out and about enjoying themselves and having fun.

Do you think that i should get used to being alone for all my life and not bother with people??

Hey,

I'm 21 and spending NYE on my own too. Was supposed to start a course in Nov but got a problem with the registration :frown:. Haven't made friends here yet. Old friends from school are kind of awkward to call at this time. Room mates are gone..

Btw, where are u living? Maybe we should have a party haha
Happy new year to you :smile:

I too have had a depressing new year, i was home with my dad and mum watching bbc 1 when the fireworks went off. The thing that hit me most was that when i texted everyone , and one of my friends texted me saying the rest and i wish you a happy new year meaning they are all together without telling me.

But hey, im not going to worry its 2012 now just make the best of everything, theres people much worse then you so be happy.

Hope your 2012 goes great!:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Chicken Hulk
Happy new year to you :smile:

I too have had a depressing new year, i was home with my dad and mum watching bbc 1 when the fireworks went off. The thing that hit me most was that when i texted everyone , and one of my friends texted me saying the rest and i wish you a happy new year meaning they are all together without telling me.

But hey, im not going to worry its 2012 now just make the best of everything, theres people much worse then you so be happy.

Hope your 2012 goes great!:smile:

Not even one person text me..
But I'm cool man!

Happy New Year :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending