The Student Room Group

Is this two thousand and twelve, or twenty twelve?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zhy
Emm-ex-eye-eye

It's "emm-emm-ex-eye-eye". :colone:
Reply 41
I say twenty twelve. easier :biggrin:
Reply 42
I mean isnt it at the end of the day the same thing..but to answer your question i think people are more comfortable to call it 20 12 then 2012..thats my theory!
Reply 43
I say twenty twelve.
This has garnered three pages of replies.

Oh dear.
Reply 45
its twenty twelve in the future, two thousand and twelve in the past.
Reply 46
Original post by Circadian_Rhythm
Just like 1912 isn't one thousand nine hundred and twelve.

But it is nineteen hundred and twelve, so surely two thousand and twelve would also be fine by a similar token...?
twenty twelve sounds right but two thousand and twelve is technically right
Reply 48
Two, zero, one, two.
Reply 49
Time will tell.
I'm calling it twenty twelve for the simple reason that you don't describe years like 1973 as one thousand, nine hundred and seventy three, like the Spanish do. It does sound strange when you speak about a year in the future though, I admit, twenty-one thirty four doesn't sound right when compared to two thousand, one hundred and thirty four... or maybe that's just me :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sgany
Two, zero, one, two.

11111011100 sounds better. :jebus:
2011 was two thousand and eleven so 2012 must be two thousand and twelve. That's how most non English people will say it in their own language as well.
Reply 53
Twenty twelve sounds American.

So two thousand and twelve is the correct answer.
Reply 54
Original post by Kezzi
In terms of how we pronounce every other century, the whole "two thousand and.." thing is anomalous and only really happened because we had a millennium (calling it "twenty hundred" might have been a bit odd). Up until 2009 it sounded right to say "two thousand and..", but now I think the media are encouraging back the usual pronunciaton system. As someone else said, we don't say "one thousand, nine hundred and ninety-two". If we carried on with "two thousand and..", years would end up such a mouthful! c:

This one speaks sense. +1
I call in two thousand and twelve. The other way just doesn't fit me, it feels weird saying it :tongue:
Also, it's after a millenium. I'd say the year 1000 'one thousand' or 1001 'one thousand and one' or 1010 as 'one thousand and ten' instead of 'ten-ten' or 'ten-oh-one'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by BoxesAndBangles

Original post by BoxesAndBangles
I call in two thousand and twelve. The other way just doesn't fit me, it feels weird saying it :tongue:
Also, it's after a millenium. I'd say the year 1000 'one thousand' or 1001 'one thousand and one' or 1010 as 'one thousand and ten' instead of 'ten-ten' or 'ten-oh-one'.

I dunno, people always say 1066 as "ten sixty- six" when talking about William the Conqueror... One thousand and sixty- six would actually confuse me!
Original post by lk2011
I dunno, people always say 1066 as "ten sixty- six" when talking about William the Conqueror... One thousand and sixty- six would actually confuse me!

Oh that's true.. hmm I don't know then :biggrin:
Original post by kerily
But it is nineteen hundred and twelve, so surely two thousand and twelve would also be fine by a similar token...?

This seems to be a third option, I say nineteen twelve :smile:
Reply 59
It's two zero one two aka tzot.

Quick Reply

Latest