The Student Room Group

Chatting really easily through texts, but it's a bit awkward in real-life...

Has anyone else ever met anyone where you can chat to them really easily through text or online but when you're together in 'real life' situations, the conversation doesn't really flow?

I've just met a guy I really like, we text constantly and have loads of things in common. I met up with him yesterday and while I still had a good time, there were some silences in the conversation. I'm hoping this doesn't mean we're not compatible, as I'm still getting to know him. I guess it's normal as with texts, you don't have to think on the spot? I just hate feeling awkward.

Does anyone else know what I mean?
Reply 1
Yeah totally. I imagine the more time you spend with each other in person, the less awkward it'll be so maybe hold back on the constant texting and try and see him more often? That's what I'd try anyway.
Original post by aimee810
Yeah totally. I imagine the more time you spend with each other in person, the less awkward it'll be so maybe hold back on the constant texting and try and see him more often? That's what I'd try anyway.

Good advice ^^^

also it will take time for you both to become comfortable around eachother so don't worry.
Reply 3
Conversations natually have silences in them.... but its only when you're around someone you like that it's awkward. I'm sure you have silences in conversations with friends/family and no-one sits there awkwardly.

The more you get to know each other, the less awkward these silences will be. Why not try and make a joke... "ooh, an awkward silence. Ah well, it'll pass" to break the atmosphere a bit? Also if you can avoid "interview dating" and keep things fun and flirtatious, I think this is also less likely to be an issue.
Reply 4
Original post by allspunout
Conversations natually have silences in them.... but its only when you're around someone you like that it's awkward. I'm sure you have silences in conversations with friends/family and no-one sits there awkwardly.

The more you get to know each other, the less awkward these silences will be. Why not try and make a joke... "ooh, an awkward silence. Ah well, it'll pass" to break the atmosphere a bit? Also if you can avoid "interview dating" and keep things fun and flirtatious, I think this is also less likely to be an issue.

It's only awkward if you say it is :smile:

Quick Reply