Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I go on diet pills?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to get my body more toned. My BMI is just at overweight. I have excess fat on my arms, stomach and bottom.

I do a lot of running as cardio and this has definitely toned my legs. For my upper body I do workouts at home and I have noticed I have stronger arm muscles and stronger abs - but the fat is still there. I am restricting how much I eat, cutting down on portion size and I am eating healthily.

I think my metabolism is naturally low. I also think because I am a girl I am naturally supposed to have this fat on me but it is my goal to have a slimmer, leaner, toned body.

I have been researching Capsiplex and am possibly considering using them. I have never used diet pills/weight loss supplements before and am sceptical about how effective it is, and the cost (but I'm guessing 30 quid is normal for 30 pills).

http://www.capsiplex.com/

It contains capsicum and caffeine and apparantly has no side effects. However I suffer from insomnia quite often and am worried about this side effect. I suffered from terrible insomnia when I took Panadol Extra painkillers which contained caffeine.

The only times I have lost weight, or more accuratly, fat, is when I am ill with vomiting/diharrohea. However my body returns to how it is before when I eat food.

I want to lose weight healthily and keep it off. I am not too concerned about taking pills but if it will help dramatically then I want to give it a go.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't use any sort of pills, personally. It's not worth it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    no, just continue eating less and exercising
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    if you're going to use pills to aid you then at least be sensible about it, don't buy crap off the internet.

Go to your doctor and get hunger suppressants
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    No stop being a lazy **** and go do some running every day around the park.
    If I managed to become healthy from it...I had poor met rate, now its very good, so should you.

Oh and don't eat any junk food either.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    I find it difficult to believe that I agree with your advice for weight loss.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <±Lois±>)
    if you're going to use pills to aid you then at least be sensible about it, don't buy crap off the internet.

Go to your doctor and get hunger suppressants
    They're sold at H&B.

I didn't know you could get hunger suppressants at the doctors. I'll check that out
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    I find it difficult to believe that I agree with your advice for weight loss.
    everyone and their dog should know to lose weight you eat less and move more, to gain you eat more and move less and to maintain you eat the same and move the same
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HollowPointSmile)
    They're sold at H&B.

I didn't know you could get hunger suppressants at the doctors. I'll check that out
    yup and they're not herbal from the docs, they're actual chemical compounds

it's far safer, and the doc can monitor you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    This!

NEVER EVER EVER EVER I REPEAT DO NOT EVER DO DIET PILLS!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You will need a private doctor if you want better than Xenical as all the others are unlicensed now... Or better find someone who is going to Thailand or Mexico, you can get proper slimming pills there (amphetamine style, not orlistat)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    No stop being a lazy **** and go do some running every day around the park.
    If I managed to become healthy from it...I had poor met rate, now its very good, so should you.

Oh and don't eat any junk food either.
    I have been running 3 times a week for 1 hour for 6 months and I workout at home. People have told me that they have noticed I have lost some weight but its nothing dramatic.
    I wouldn't say I am lazy at all. I think its easier for men to lose weight, when my brother was getting big he went to the gym for a month and became skinny. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that for me :mad:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have been running 3 times a week for 1 hour for 6 months and I workout at home. People have told me that they have noticed I have lost some weight but its nothing dramatic.
    I wouldn't say I am lazy at all. I think its easier for men to lose weight, when my brother was getting big he went to the gym for a month and became skinny. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that for me :mad:
    thats a crock of **** tbh

only thing 'easier' is that men are able to eat more and still lose weight (that said so can tall females)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

This is really interesting! Do they only give them to you if your BMI says you're overweight though? I have a BMI of about 23 ish, however I find it difficult sometimes as I'm constantly hungry, however when I have previously just followed my hunger I've ended up putting a lot of weight on, I tend to just ignore the hunger and not eat until it's an actual meal time as I don't want to put weight on, but this can make it difficult to concentrate and it really does my head in! Do you reckon I'd be suitable for something like those even if my BMI is normal?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to get my body more toned. My BMI is just at overweight. I have excess fat on my arms, stomach and bottom.

I do a lot of running as cardio and this has definitely toned my legs. For my upper body I do workouts at home and I have noticed I have stronger arm muscles and stronger abs - but the fat is still there. I am restricting how much I eat, cutting down on portion size and I am eating healthily.

I think my metabolism is naturally low. I also think because I am a girl I am naturally supposed to have this fat on me but it is my goal to have a slimmer, leaner, toned body.

I have been researching Capsiplex and am possibly considering using them. I have never used diet pills/weight loss supplements before and am sceptical about how effective it is, and the cost (but I'm guessing 30 quid is normal for 30 pills).

http://www.capsiplex.com/

It contains capsicum and caffeine and apparantly has no side effects. However I suffer from insomnia quite often and am worried about this side effect. I suffered from terrible insomnia when I took Panadol Extra painkillers which contained caffeine.

The only times I have lost weight, or more accuratly, fat, is when I am ill with vomiting/diharrohea. However my body returns to how it is before when I eat food.
    Do you mean capsaicin? I took a pill with capsaicin and it game me awful stomach cramps, happened to both myself and my friend. Makes you feel SO ill. This was after taking 1 pill. I threw away the bottle. Never again. It was awful.

If this pill really worked, GPs would be prescribing it for obese patients and even those have nasty side effects.

Pills aren't the solution - either ineffective or nasty side effects if they do work.

You'll have to eat less / exercise more.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is your diet like?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Is a doctor allowed to say no? I am overweight but I do exercise and eat healthily, and I'm 18. So I won't need permission from my parents, right? (they would kill me if they knew I was taking pills )
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    What is your diet like?
    Rice, rice and more rice.

Chicken curry (light), vegetables, fish curry. Sometime lamb curry.

Minimal fruit.

Hardly dessert ever.

After my brother lost the weight he would always and still eats junk food and hasn't put anything on.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is a doctor allowed to say no? I am overweight but I do exercise and eat healthily, and I'm 18. So I won't need permission from my parents, right? (they would kill me if they knew I was taking pills )
    1. Doctors will say no if they don't believe the treatment is in your best interests (health wise). Doctors are not obliged to provide any treatment just because the patient asks for it. There has to be clinical need. n.b. things may be more lax if you see a private doctor

2. If you're not overweight, you shouldn't be taking diet pills anyway and it's unlikely you Dr will prescribe them

3. You're an adult. Presuming you are competent to make decisions, you don't have to tell anyone about your medical treatments and it's your choice.

4. If you were under 18, or 16 you could still make autonomous decisions if the doctor believed you were capable of understanding the risks and benefits of a treatment, without parental consent.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rice, rice and more rice.

Chicken curry (light), vegetables, fish curry. Sometime lamb curry.

Minimal fruit.

Hardly dessert ever.

After my brother lost the weight he would always and still eats junk food and hasn't put anything on.
    so crap basically

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 18, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.