The Student Room Group

Spending Money for Malia

I'm thinking about going to Malia (Crete, Greece) in the summer with a few friends for two weeks and I've looked at a few deals for the flight and accomodation but the only problem now is that I'm unsure as to how much I should take to spend while I'm there. I was thinking of £500 which is equivalent to 598 euros, but I'm not sure if that will be enough?

We're planning to go clubbing mostly everyday (obviously with a few breaks now and again) and also going for a meal in any restaurants in the area for some days. Could you also tell me how much the drinks usually are in the clubs, and would I be better off buying them before going there?
You will be able to last on £500, i spent about £800 over 2 weeks and went out every night, did a few boat trips and excursions, got quad bikes twice and eat takeaways/at restaurants alot.
pre-drinking before you go out will save you money but going round all the bars is a lot more fun.
Reply 2
Hey! Being Greek myself I can tell you that 800 is way too much and given the crisis most prices have dropped now. I think that Malia is a great place to go! I don't know what sort of deals you have looked at but although I live in London I cooperate with a travel agency in Greece and we are currently developing summer packages for UK students in Greece. You should keep in mind though that it is quite early to look at summer deals since in Greece they usually come out in April and are available to public in May (I know it's quite late but you get the best prices). Anyway, I can inform you about our packages if you like, just send me your email :smile:

I would really appreciate it if you could also fill this questionnaire out as it is designed to help us to develop this year's student summer packages. Hope to hear from you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFV1ZFFzeHNTQjFEaXZMVTMwVGJ4SXc6MQ
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by just say hello
You will be able to last on £500, i spent about £800 over 2 weeks and went out every night, did a few boat trips and excursions, got quad bikes twice and eat takeaways/at restaurants alot.
pre-drinking before you go out will save you money but going round all the bars is a lot more fun.
Thanks very much for the reply. I'm thinking of taking £600 worth of spending money incase I need the extras although I probably won't. And if you don't mind, do you remember the price of the boat trips and what were they like, any good? And what were the prices like at the restaurants, high or average?

Once again, thanks so much.

Original post by FayK
Hey! Being Greek myself I can tell you that 800 is way too much and given the crisis most prices have dropped now. I think that Malia is a great place to go! I don't know what sort of deals you have looked at but although I live in London I cooperate with a travel agency in Greece and we are currently developing summer packages for UK students in Greece. You should keep in mind though that it is quite early to look at summer deals since in Greece they usually come out in April and are available to public in May (I know it's quite late but you get the best prices). Anyway, I can inform you about our packages if you like, just send me your email :smile:

I would really appreciate it if you could also fill this questionnaire out as it is designed to help us to develop this year's student summer packages. Hope to hear from you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFV1ZFFzeHNTQjFEaXZMVTMwVGJ4SXc6MQ
Thanks for the reply FayK, I've filled in your questionnaire and I hope it helps in the research you're doing - good luck with it too!
Reply 4
Sorry for another post, but I've been looking at Co-OperativeTravel and Thomson at the moment but I've come across Club18-30 which has a minimum age of 17 (with parental consent) so would I be better off looking into this? Has anybody used them?
Original post by Wiztakula
Thanks very much for the reply. I'm thinking of taking £600 worth of spending money incase I need the extras although I probably won't. And if you don't mind, do you remember the price of the boat trips and what were they like, any good? And what were the prices like at the restaurants, high or average?

Once again, thanks so much.

Thanks for the reply FayK, I've filled in your questionnaire and I hope it helps in the research you're doing - good luck with it too!

We did a tour boat trip which lasted 6 hours, i slept through most of that because we hadnt slept from the previous night, that was ok but more of a family orientated thing, think that was like 15 euros. Then you can hire your own boat with mates which is really good fun, think that was about 10 euro each. Also try haggle the prices.
The standard deal for local restaurants was starter, main and 2-3 drinks for 15 euros. Prices are pretty similar everywhere.

Loads of people say dont get quads but id say get them, you can explore the island and they are super fun, obv just be careful and use some common sense.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
We did a tour boat trip which lasted 6 hours, i slept through most of that because we hadnt slept from the previous night, that was ok but more of a family orientated thing, think that was like 15 euros. Then you can hire your own boat with mates which is really good fun, think that was about 10 euro each. Also try haggle the prices.
The standard deal for local restaurants was starter, main and 2-3 drinks for 15 euros. Prices are pretty similar everywhere.

Loads of people say dont get quads but id say get them, you can explore the island and they are super fun, obv just be careful and use some common sense.
Did you go to any Booze Boat trips too? And the price for the restaurant sounds alright actually, thought it would be more than that.

I might look into renting a quad for a day to have a go, but yeah I will use common sense as you said.

Also if you don't mind me asking, who did you book the holiday with?

(edited 12 years ago)
Did you go to any Booze Boat trips too? And the price for the restaurant sounds alright actually, thought it would be more than that.

I might look into renting a quad for a day to have a go, but yeah I will use common sense as you said.

Also if you don't mind me asking, who did you book the holiday with?

didnt do the booze cruise because our rep was trying to rip us off, doubling the price of the ticket...... but people i spoke to said they are well worth doing.

booked with first choice, but just look around for the best price. If your happy to leave it you will get it cheapest last minute.
Reply 8
didnt do the booze cruise because our rep was trying to rip us off, doubling the price of the ticket...... but people i spoke to said they are well worth doing.

booked with first choice, but just look around for the best price. If your happy to leave it you will get it cheapest last minute.
Were your reps pushy or anything compared to the horror stories I've seen about the Club18-30 reps?

Thanks for all the help, very much appreciated.
Reply 9
We booked ours through Olympic, two weeks for £490 in self catered accomodation just off the strip.
I'm thinking about going to Malia (Crete, Greece) in the summer with a few friends for two weeks and I've looked at a few deals for the flight and accomodation but the only problem now is that I'm unsure as to how much I should take to spend while I'm there. I was thinking of £500 which is equivalent to 598 euros, but I'm not sure if that will be enough?

We're planning to go clubbing mostly everyday (obviously with a few breaks now and again) and also going for a meal in any restaurants in the area for some days. Could you also tell me how much the drinks usually are in the clubs, and would I be better off buying them before going there?

I was there in 2010 absolutely loved it. It was our sixth year holiday and there was about 22 of us that went out each night together. Because there was so many we got really good drinking deals, 5euro each for 3 vodka mixes each 100 shots and 4 fishbowls to share. Good times. I took about £250 but that was only for the week :smile:
Reply 11
Malia isn't cheap anymore, no drinks deals and beer in the shops isn't the cheapest similar prices to over here and in the clubs your looking at 5euros for a vodka and mixer (although they are strong as!).

If your doing it on the cheap 600euros minimum otherwise i'd take 800 and have some spare to take out if i got desperate.

Make sure you go to the WKD bar and get an MG.
Reply 12
Original post by Alt__x
We booked ours through Olympic, two weeks for £490 in self catered accomodation just off the strip.
I'm looking at Olympic now but when I search it's down for maintenance so I'll keep it on the list of Travel Agents.

Original post by lyrical_lie
I was there in 2010 absolutely loved it. It was our sixth year holiday and there was about 22 of us that went out each night together. Because there was so many we got really good drinking deals, 5euro each for 3 vodka mixes each 100 shots and 4 fishbowls to share. Good times. I took about £250 but that was only for the week :smile:
We're trying to find other people to go although I doubt we'll find 22 people haha. I'm probably going to take about £600 as most people have used around that amount.

Original post by AdzD
Malia isn't cheap anymore, no drinks deals and beer in the shops isn't the cheapest similar prices to over here and in the clubs your looking at 5euros for a vodka and mixer (although they are strong as!).

If your doing it on the cheap 600euros minimum otherwise i'd take 800 and have some spare to take out if i got desperate.

Make sure you go to the WKD bar and get an MG.
I'll take about £600 minimum (probably more) anyway so I guess it should be alright.

Thanks for the replies all! :smile:
Were your reps pushy or anything compared to the horror stories I've seen about the Club18-30 reps?

Thanks for all the help, very much appreciated.

they do there best to get your money but dont hassle that much.
Reply 14
we are going 26th june til 10th july, staying bed and breakfst ( altho doubt we will be up) we got it for £390 each. we r taking atleast £1000 each spends, so we can do excursions and have good time my bro went for week last year and spent £900 and he said it pretty expensive these days. but i went in 2010 and we got drink for room had few then headed out n just topped up with a couple of drinks in the bars and club, the shop brought drink was resonable price, just get the deals. and with the pr tell them what u want and most of them will make a deal with ya
Reply 15
Hiya all I seem to go a little later then you all im going on 11th September for 3 weeks with my friend but staying just outside malia. Im going all inclusive and im hopeing to take about 900 euros. Do you think that will be enough?
Reply 16
Original post by kay19
Hiya all I seem to go a little later then you all im going on 11th September for 3 weeks with my friend but staying just outside malia. Im going all inclusive and im hopeing to take about 900 euros. Do you think that will be enough?

I spent 850 in two weeks, but I was in self catered so obviously had to spend a bit of money on food. We didn't do excursions etc, but we didn't take taxis anywhere which you obviously will need to. It all depends, I could easily get drunk off 20 euros a night, I know some people say it isn't cheap anymore but its certainly a lot cheaper than over here. I could easily get mashed on 20 euros a night.
just got back two week ago went for two week for £300 with thompson took £1000 and still had to withdraw more as £1000 wasnt enougth for two week if your doing activity and drinking and food it all adds up and isnt as cheap as people are making it sound just take a card an take your minimum amount you can alway withdraw while over their

Latest