The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP! English lit or History A level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I had to make a choice between History and Philosophy for a-level. Thank God I chose Philo because everyone who does History thinks it's too long-winded and some of the boards make you learn very recent history, which I suppose is great if that's what you like.

I do English Literature and I love it but then again I know a lot of people dislike it because of how difficult it can be.

The skills you learn and acquire from English far pass the ones you get from History, but it's very hit and miss. Unless you love it, you probably won't pick up the skills. If you like reading though I'd say just go for English :smile:
Reply 21
okay thanks, but when people say do it if you like reading, i get kinda confused. i like reading a lot, but i dont read any classics. does that still count?
Reply 22
I do both, I always thought that History was a little more respected than English Lit. I find History harder than English - I've always found that if you enjoy reading, and have a natural flair for writing essays, English is easy (compared to my other subjects). History is fun but a lot to remember and there isn't really room to blag... unlike English :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by tadzingoo
okay thanks, but when people say do it if you like reading, i get kinda confused. i like reading a lot, but i dont read any classics. does that still count?

Well you will be expected to read classics alongside modern literature. For example, for AS I had to read The Handmaid's Tale, Streetcar Named Desire and read a lot of Duffy's work. For A2 I've read Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, The Millers Tale, Antony and Cleopatra etc. It's good, really interesting but you need to like reading.:smile:

In other words, you need to be willing to put the effort in. Coursework counts for a lot.
Reply 24
I studied both at AS Level and continued with A2 History, and I found History easier and more enjoyable. Both are good subjects; have you checked the course details?
Reply 25
i'd go for english, it not only helps wiv degree but looks good on CV
History you can learn but Eng Lit you have to be born with the technique.
IMO History is VERY content heavy so harder
Reply 27
I would say probably choose depending on your firm interests......and should also depend on the modules taken for history from your college because my old gcse school does a totally different module from the history module im doing right now as there are many per each AS1/AS2 etc.

Hope you make the right choice but i would say i have a friend who just got into do PPE at Oxford and the main subject he had was HISTORY!!!

Quick Reply

Latest