The Student Room Group

McGill and UofT Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
AAAAAnnnndddddddddd...Montreal > Bath!!!
Original post by ibs007
AAAAAnnnndddddddddd...Montreal > Bath!!!

:yes: So much better, you can't even compare.
Reply 202
Original post by punctuation
:yes: So much better, you can't even compare.

Exactlyyy!!!!
Reply 203
Original post by ibs007
Exactlyyy!!!!

Hi Guys, I just spoke to someone who has graduated from McGill with Major in Economics. He took the honours but dropped out.

If we take the Honours Progam we skip freshman (U0) year due to our A-Levels so we enter U1. That means we have to hit the ground running and have less time to go and enjoy Montreal as it is very difficult to keep up with the Honours Program.

He also mentioned that career services in McGill are useless :L

Overall, it seems a more research oriented department and they don't really prepare you for careers in Investment Banking as well as UK universities do (despite the sufficient Mathematical Content).

I check the statistics and for McGill average earning with a degree in Economics after 2 years is $33,000 and Bath is £27,000 after 6 months.

I think I will stick to Bath guys. Thanks for your help though, and I hope you make the right choice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 204
Original post by ibs007
BTW did you get a Specified offer from McGill? Or did they just maintain academic standard?

They said they will mail it to me. I guess I have to wait for the post? I only got admitted on my Minerva.
Reply 205
Original post by Yash13
Hi Guys, I just spoke to someone who has graduated from McGill with Major in Economics. He took the honours but dropped out.

If we take the Honours Progam we skip freshman (U0) year due to our A-Levels so we enter U1. That means we have to hit the ground running and have less time to go and enjoy Montreal as it is very difficult to keep up with the Honours Program.

He also mentioned that career services in McGill are useless :L

Overall, it seems a more research oriented department and they don't really prepare you for careers in Investment Banking as well as UK universities do (despite the sufficient Mathematical Content).

I check the statistics and for McGill average earning with a degree in Economics after 2 years is $33,000 and Bath is £27,000 after 6 months.

I think I will stick to Bath guys. Thanks for your help though, and I hope you make the right choice.

Even if you go to bath I presume the degree is a BA (Hons) so your going to have to hit the ground running there aswell...?! Honours degrees are always difficult but the pay-off is good..! I still think you should pick McGill over Bath! McGill could get you into great universities both in the UK and abroad for your masters!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 206
Original post by ibs007
Even if you go to bath I presume the degree is a BA (Hons) so your going to have to hit the ground running there aswell...?! Honours degrees are always difficult but the pay-off is good..! I still think you should pick McGill over Bath! McGill could get you into great universities both in the UK and abroad for your masters!

Yeah Bath is Bsc (Hons) but in the first year you have to pass with 40% to proceed. I think McGill you must attain a 3.0 GPA to proceed. I understand what you are saying and thanks for the advice but I think Bath has a more vocational focus with courses including Investment Banking. I think if I wanted to do Masters for sure McGill is the clear choice. I am not sure yet and I may need more time to decide but nearly everyone I have to spoken to has convinced me away from McGill, except this forum and you! :smile: Its great to hear from both sides as it will enable me to make the best decision that way.
Reply 207
Original post by Yash13
Yeah Bath is Bsc (Hons) but in the first year you have to pass with 40% to proceed. I think McGill you must attain a 3.0 GPA to proceed. I understand what you are saying and thanks for the advice but I think Bath has a more vocational focus with courses including Investment Banking. I think if I wanted to do Masters for sure McGill is the clear choice. I am not sure yet and I may need more time to decide but nearly everyone I have to spoken to has convinced me away from McGill, except this forum and you! :smile: Its great to hear from both sides as it will enable me to make the best decision that way.

Yeah, your right about the work load part. You enter in the second year and so are expected to perform as well as everyone else in the same course. The work load will be very high to say the least and that pretty much kills the debate of Montreal vs Bath. In all fairness though if you plan to go on to further studies it does not matter which you go to. Oxbridge/Harvard/Yale will consider applications from both bath and mcgill as they are both quite reputable. Stick with Bath if you consider it a good choice. It is after all your future.
Reply 208
If I have a D in a subject at A Level, does it mean that I should forget about UofT?
I've applied for a remark but I'm just wondering...
Original post by A-haaa
If I have a D in a subject at A Level, does it mean that I should forget about UofT?
I've applied for a remark but I'm just wondering...

It depends on the subject, but likely yes, sorry. How many A-levels are you taking, and which subject are you thinking of?
Reply 210
Original post by punctuation
It depends on the subject, but likely yes, sorry. How many A-levels are you taking, and which subject are you thinking of?

It was in AS Chemistry. It's the only exam I had to do this year. :sad:
I had already gotten an A in A Level Pure Math and a B in A-Level Physics.
Original post by A-haaa
It was in AS Chemistry. It's the only exam I had to do this year. :sad:
I had already gotten an A in A Level Pure Math and a B in A-Level Physics.

Don't take my word for it! I don't attend or work for UofT. Email the admissions office! :smile:
Original post by Yash13

Why did everyone convince you not to go to McGill?
Reply 213
Original post by fellowjoe
Why did everyone convince you not to go to McGill?

My family, research online and a member of alumni allowed me to compile these reasons not to accept the offer:

The fact that you enter second year for the honours program and the high drop out rate. Also, the lack of time to enjoy your first year at McGill due to the difficulty of the program.

The careers services at McGill apparently are poor. Also, average salaries for Economics graduates from McGill are low.

Apparently, getting to the US for jobs has complications due to Visa regulations.

The fact that Montreal is french speaking, jobs may require understanding of it which could be difficult to grasp.

The course lacks the vocational focus that UK universities have and so it is more suited towards research for Economics.

Montreal employer activity is lower than London. (QS rankings).

Most of this information is from McGill Alumni.
Original post by Yash13
My family, research online and a member of alumni allowed me to compile these reasons not to accept the offer:

The fact that you enter second year for the honours program and the high drop out rate. Also, the lack of time to enjoy your first year at McGill due to the difficulty of the program.

The careers services at McGill apparently are poor. Also, average salaries for Economics graduates from McGill are low.

Apparently, getting to the US for jobs has complications due to Visa regulations.

The fact that Montreal is french speaking, jobs may require understanding of it which could be difficult to grasp.

The course lacks the vocational focus that UK universities have and so it is more suited towards research for Economics.

I see; we are somewhat on the same boat :/

Gotta decide between UBC and McGill soon (majoring in both economics and political science).
Original post by Yash13

I completely understand your decision, but I'd just like to add a few points for those who might be reading this:

I can't comment on the careers services in general, but I know that the faculty of management has a great mentoring system with people from the industry, and some econ. students profit from that. As for the salary, it might be due to the lower salaries in Canada in general compared to the UK. A lot of undergrads stay in Canada, whereas if you went back to the UK I am quite sure you'd make a salary similar to other UK graduates, if not higher.

Visa regulations are complicated in the US, both for Canadian educated and British educated people.

As for French, you do need it for a job that involves customer services. But a lot of people get by with very little French even in these jobs. Alternatively, you can work for anglophone companies that won't ask you to speak French. And a lot of anglophones go work in Ontario in the summer, it's really close-by, and they won't ever ask you to know French. (By the way, living in Montreal is also an amazing opportunity to pick it up, which can improve your employment prospects!)

The Econs honours program is indeed insanely difficult. But insanely difficult means that if you manage to get through it, you will have gained much more from your degree than if you did it elsewhere. At McGill, you take 5 classes per term instead of 3, so the workload is much heavier than in the UK, but it allows you to specialize a lot more, and prepares you well for grad school or jobs.

I really don't want to make you change your mind, if you feel than the UK is best for you then go for it! I just wanted to clarify a few things just in case it could help other people! :smile:
Original post by Yash13

Do you have any links about the average salaries? Employments prospects are pretty much what will help me choose.
Reply 217
Original post by Dark92amaury
Do you have any links about the average salaries? Employments prospects are pretty much what will help me choose.

http://www.mcgill.ca/files/caps/Salary_Prospects_Information.pdf

I am still not sure if this if for degrees from any University in Canada or from McGill specifically.
Reply 218
Original post by Yash13
http://www.mcgill.ca/files/caps/Salary_Prospects_Information.pdf

I am still not sure if this if for degrees from any University in Canada or from McGill specifically.

Is this in CAD or USD?
Reply 219
Original post by ibs007
Is this in CAD or USD?

I think CAD. Marginal difference I think though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending