The Student Room Group

McGill and UofT Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Yash13
I think CAD. Marginal difference I think though.

true true..cant seem to get the salary prospects for the University of York...I wanna compare now!
Original post by Yash13
http://www.mcgill.ca/files/caps/Salary_Prospects_Information.pdf

I am still not sure if this if for degrees from any University in Canada or from McGill specifically.

Those figures are for professions across Canada, not just McGill graduates (the website is run by the federal gvt). I doubt you would be able to find average salaries for each program at each university.. They wouldn't mean much anyway

McGill is one of the top schools in Canada so there is no way graduate salaries would be much lower than other Canadian schools. Of course it depends on the programs but I would bet that they are probably generally higher than the figures in the table you attached.

And the visa issue you mentioned, that has absolutely nothing to do with the university.. You really think you'll have a better chance to land a work visa for the US if you go to school in the UK or some other Canadian uni??

You are right about the French, you would have a hard time finding a job in Montreal if you can't speak it, but it's not unheard of (I have a few English-speaking friends who got one)
Reply 222
Original post by chad_bro_chill
Those figures are for professions across Canada, not just McGill graduates (the website is run by the federal gvt). I doubt you would be able to find average salaries for each program at each university.. They wouldn't mean much anyway

McGill is one of the top schools in Canada so there is no way graduate salaries would be much lower than other Canadian schools. Of course it depends on the programs but I would bet that they are probably generally higher than the figures in the table you attached.

And the visa issue you mentioned, that has absolutely nothing to do with the university.. You really think you'll have a better chance to land a work visa for the US if you go to school in the UK or some other Canadian uni??

You are right about the French, you would have a hard time finding a job in Montreal if you can't speak it, but it's not unheard of (I have a few English-speaking friends who got one)

Hi ok you have clarified a lot. I suppose McGill graduate prospects are high.

However, if I cannot get a job due to my inability to speak French my options are either Toronto or US (local to McGill) because they are English speaking, of which I prefer the US. If I was in the UK I would look for work in London.

I suppose I could come back to the UK for work. The worst issue for me is the difficulty of the Honours program and the fact that it may mean I miss out the first year enjoyment. Also, the drop-out rate is scary.
Reply 223
Original post by Yash13

However, if I cannot get a job due to my inability to speak French my options are either Toronto or US (local to McGill) because they are English speaking, of which I prefer the US. If I was in the UK I would look for work in London.

I suppose I could come back to the UK for work. The worst issue for me is the difficulty of the Honours program and the fact that it may mean I miss out the first year enjoyment. Also, the drop-out rate is scary.

A person I know requested McGill to not use his Advanced Placement scores to give him advanced credit and started at year 1 normally like everyone else. Not sure if you can do that for A Levels though.
Reply 224
Original post by Yash13

Why are you scared? Honours programs are meant to be hard...Uni isnt meant to be all fun and no work! The more work, the higher chance your degree is actually worth something!
Original post by Yash13

Yeah I know what you mean. I went straight into 2nd year at McGill in engineering, which also has a big workload, and was taking 18 credits my 1st semester (whereas a "normal" semester is 15 credits) so it was definitely a big adjustment. But honestly it wasn't too bad. I still went out (although not as much as 1st-year students) and did lots of the typical 1st year stuff (frosh etc..). Interesting point, though: my 1st semester grades were the worst over my entire 4-year degree haha (although they were not terrible, and I don't regret it).
Reply 226
Original post by Azland
A person I know requested McGill to not use his Advanced Placement scores to give him advanced credit and started at year 1 normally like everyone else. Not sure if you can do that for A Levels though.

I would be very interested in this. Thank you for the information. I will enquiry if I am able to do this.

Original post by ibs007
Why are you scared? Honours programs are meant to be hard...Uni isnt meant to be all fun and no work! The more work, the higher chance your degree is actually worth something!

Yes but in 2010 out of class of 120 only 35 graduated. Compare that with Bath, which has 96% completion rate and is a Bsc(Honours) as well. I will ask an honours advisor whether they think I have good chances of coping. Uni is not all fun but it is about equilibrium and I feel that I may be over worked at McGill and I do not want to sacrifice and offer from a top 10 university in the UK. If you search in LinkedIn, there are similar number of people in Investment Banking from Bath and McGill. Thanks for the input though, I am still considering McGill but it is not looking likely for me.
I have an offer for an MA in Classics starting September at UofT. Waiting to hear back from places here however first. Would be nice to talk to some other British people heading to the 'other side'. PM me.
Reply 228
Yeah I know what you mean. I went straight into 2nd year at McGill in engineering, which also has a big workload, and was taking 18 credits my 1st semester (whereas a "normal" semester is 15 credits) so it was definitely a big adjustment. But honestly it wasn't too bad. I still went out (although not as much as 1st-year students) and did lots of the typical 1st year stuff (frosh etc..). Interesting point, though: my 1st semester grades were the worst over my entire 4-year degree haha (although they were not terrible, and I don't regret it).

Hang on. You went to McGill, you will really help me here. Did you do honours too? Why did you choose McGill over UK universities? Do you mind if I ask for your A-levels. Sorry for so many questions but your information will be priceless. Also, are you from the UK. If so, do you think you will come back here for work? Thanks.
Original post by Yash13
Hang on. You went to McGill, you will really help me here. Did you do honours too? Why did you choose McGill over UK universities? Do you mind if I ask for your A-levels. Sorry for so many questions but your information will be priceless. Also, are you from the UK. If so, do you think you will come back here for work? Thanks.

I graduated from McGill last May, did a BEng in chemical engineering (there are no honours programs). I am not from the UK so did not do A-levels. I am Canadian but I did the French baccalaureat which is why I went directly into 2nd year.

I'm in London now because I'm doing an MSc at Imperial... And I will stay and work in the UK when I graduate next September.

I did not consider any universities in the UK for my undergrad degree (McGill was the only uni I applied to since I had known for a long time I wanted to go there). Sorry I can't really answer any of your questions, I'm not much help.. If you want to know anything else about McGill (that's not related to Econ, since I don't know anything about that program) just ask and I'll try to help you
Reply 230
I graduated from McGill last May, did a BEng in chemical engineering (there are no honours programs). I am not from the UK so did not do A-levels. I am Canadian but I did the French baccalaureat which is why I went directly into 2nd year.

I'm in London now because I'm doing an MSc at Imperial... And I will stay and work in the UK when I graduate next September.

I did not consider any universities in the UK for my undergrad degree (McGill was the only uni I applied to since I had known for a long time I wanted to go there). Sorry I can't really answer any of your questions, I'm not much help.. If you want to know anything else about McGill (that's not related to Econ, since I don't know anything about that program) just ask and I'll try to help you

Do a lot of McGill graduates go on to other top universities to pursue MA/Msc's?
Reply 231
Original post by ibs007
Do a lot of McGill graduates go on to other top universities to pursue MA/Msc's?

Quite a vague question, dont you think? Pretty sure graduates from almost every top university in each country go on to other top universities or the same to pursue further studies. I've got some family in UBC and even there most graduates go on to Stanford/MIT etc.
Reply 232
Original post by Azland
Quite a vague question, dont you think? Pretty sure graduates from almost every top university in each country go on to other top universities or the same to pursue further studies. I've got some family in UBC and even there most graduates go on to Stanford/MIT etc.

Well thats great to hear! Just wanted to make sure that McGill would be a good starting ground to get into places like MIT/Stanford/Oxbridge etc.
Original post by ibs007
Well thats great to hear! Just wanted to make sure that McGill would be a good starting ground to get into places like MIT/Stanford/Oxbridge etc.

Oh, definitely! :yes:
Reply 234
I don't know why but all of a sudden I feel really excited about the prospect of going to McGill...no matter how hard a joint honours program in Econ and PolSci is :biggrin: provided that LSE reject me ofc :P
Reply 235
Original post by ibs007
I don't know why but all of a sudden I feel really excited about the prospect of going to McGill...no matter how hard a joint honours program in Econ and PolSci is :biggrin: provided that LSE reject me ofc :P

Ah man I wish I could be so excited. I am so stressed about this whole Bath vs Mcgill decision :L I just need to know I will not fail the first year at McGill then I will go lol.
Reply 236
Original post by Yash13
Ah man I wish I could be so excited. I am so stressed about this whole Bath vs Mcgill decision :L I just need to know I will not fail the first year at McGill then I will go lol.

I dont think you will if you put the work in....Ive been doing tons more research about McGill...its reputation, quality of degrees and the more I read the more attractive it looks!

Id rather work hard now and relax in the future bro...dont be afraid of hard work! Embrace it...every1 will be starting there degree's in U1 so we will all be in it together! And im sure McGill will offer us support and help bring us up to speed if needed...we are their students afterall!
Original post by Yash13

Dude you're comparing Bath and Mcgill. Embrace life and go to Montreal, don't go to Bath, lost in Britain's countryside, how boring.
Reply 238
Original post by Dark92amaury
Dude you're comparing Bath and Mcgill. Embrace life and go to Montreal, don't go to Bath, lost in Britain's countryside, how boring.

LOOL. Bath isn't far from Bristol though :P

Original post by ibs007
I dont think you will if you put the work in....Ive been doing tons more research about McGill...its reputation, quality of degrees and the more I read the more attractive it looks!

Id rather work hard now and relax in the future bro...dont be afraid of hard work! Embrace it...every1 will be starting there degree's in U1 so we will all be in it together! And im sure McGill will offer us support and help bring us up to speed if needed...we are their students afterall!

Yeah this is true. I am just scared of getting really low grades there. :O Bath I might get higher grades and placement. Social life will definitely be better in Montreal. AHHHH!!! I can't decide :frown:
Reply 239
Original post by Yash13
LOOL. Bath isn't far from Bristol though :P

Yeah this is true. I am just scared of getting really low grades there. :O Bath I might get higher grades and placement. Social life will definitely be better in Montreal. AHHHH!!! I can't decide :frown:

My opinion is that your getting afraid of something you have never experienced and kinda shying away from hard work. McGill is better than Bath in every single way possible mate. The only thing that even compares to McGill in this country would be Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and UCL and perhaps...and this is a BIG perhaps..Warwick.

Everything in Montreal would be better..:biggrin:

And look McGill university has been in the paper loads in the past 3 months!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?pageOffset=&pageSize=&sel=site&searchPhrase=McGill+University&orderBy=relevDesc&_channelshortname=on&_channelshortname=on&_channelshortname=on&_channelshortname=on&_channelshortname=on&_channelshortname=on&_channelshortname=on&_channelshortname=on&_channelshortname=on&_channelshortname=on&_channelshortname=on&_contenttype=on&dateupdated=last90days&dateFrom=&dateTo=&_authornamef=on&_authornamef=on&_personnames=on&_personnames=on&_personnames=on

You know what to do mate..:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending