The Student Room Group

McGill and UofT Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Alexlol28
Would anyone know if its possible to switch majors within a Faculty?
How would you get round to doing so?

Are you starting in U1 or U0? I think you can change your major at any time as long as you have taken the appropriate courses. After U2 it may be difficult for obvious reasons. You have to register for courses on Minerva and declare your major. You can change this I am pretty sure but I am not aware if there is a procedure or not.
Reply 321
Hey guys,

Ive got a quick question. This whole advance standing thing is driving me nuts. Im trying to plan out my course outline as registration is coming up. A level students enter McGill in U1. So that means we need 90-96 credits to graduate.

I taking 3 A levels. (Maths, Physics and Economics) so how much advance standing do we get? I called up service point and they were like its usually 3 credits per course. How is that possible...that makes 9 credits....we need a MINIMUM of 24 credits to even get into U1? Am I missing something? Do we enter in U1 or not??

I also found this page on McGill:

http://www.mcgill.ca/students/transfercredit/prospective/advanced

But I didnt find it helpful at all.

SOMEBODY HELPPP!!!!...:P

thanks guys!
Reply 322
Original post by ibs007
Hey guys,

Ive got a quick question. This whole advance standing thing is driving me nuts. Im trying to plan out my course outline as registration is coming up. A level students enter McGill in U1. So that means we need 90-96 credits to graduate.

I taking 3 A levels. (Maths, Physics and Economics) so how much advance standing do we get? I called up service point and they were like its usually 3 credits per course. How is that possible...that makes 9 credits....we need a MINIMUM of 24 credits to even get into U1? Am I missing something? Do we enter in U1 or not??

thanks guys!

I assume that you only get credit for courses that actually relate to your major. In your case I dont know what your doing but Physics and Econ arnt jointly related at all to any course so not much point counting credits for everything. I assume that everyone enters U1 because the classes which you took that do not count towards your major are taken instead as passed electives. In any case once registration opens you'll know which year your in.
Original post by ibs007
Hey guys,

thanks guys!

Just because you enter in U1 doesn't mean you automatically get 30 credits. Ultimately the U0-U1-U2 etc system doesn't really mean anything, you can do your degree in 3-4-5 years depending on your major and what YOU decide your workload is going be.

OK officially you'll be in U1, but you'll probably still need to take U0 classes for which you didn't get credits through A-levels. So in your first year you'll take both U0 and U1 classes so you won't be as advanced as the 2nd year students but you won't be as "fresh" as the new students starting from scratch.

By the way, this is going to continue on through 2nd and 3rd years too. You'll always have to juggle between classes from different years so make sure to check pre-requisites carefully.

What do you not understand about the link you posted? I'm not familiar with the A-level exams but do you not see your exams in the list and can't see what courses at McGill they correspond to?

PS: and no, you don't need a "minimum of 24 credits to even get into U1". Anybody coming from the UK with A-levels automatically gets classified as U1. The number of credits you're actually awarded depends on your program at McGill and I guess which A-levels you took. You can be classified as a U1 with less credits: I started as a U1 with 22 credits awarded so had to take 3 U0 classes in my first year
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 324
Original post by chad_bro_chill
Just because you enter in U1 doesn't mean you automatically get 30 credits. Ultimately the U0-U1-U2 etc system doesn't really mean anything, you can do your degree in 3-4-5 years depending on your major and what YOU decide your workload is going be.

OK officially you'll be in U1, but you'll probably still need to take U0 classes for which you didn't get credits through A-levels. So in your first year you'll take both U0 and U1 classes so you won't be as advanced as the 2nd year students but you won't be as "fresh" as the new students starting from scratch.

By the way, this is going to continue on through 2nd and 3rd years too. You'll always have to juggle between classes from different years so make sure to check pre-requisites carefully.

What do you not understand about the link you posted? I'm not familiar with the A-level exams but do you not see your exams in the list and can't see what courses at McGill they correspond to?

PS: and no, you don't need a "minimum of 24 credits to even get into U1". Anybody coming from the UK with A-levels automatically gets classified as U1. The number of credits you're actually awarded depends on your program at McGill and I guess which A-levels you took. You can be classified as a U1 with less credits: I started as a U1 with 22 credits awarded so had to take 3 U0 classes in my first year

If you go through that Advanced standing faq on the website it basically says that for each a level you get 6 credits more or less. That being said I doubt more then 2 of your A Level subjects actually relate to your course ( The rare exception may be some science courses where Chem/bio/Phy all contribute ). Like Econ for example would only really need Econ and Math as a pre req. By this logic you would only enter with 12 credits or so completed right? How exactly do you go U1 then? I assume that you would spend much more of your time actually doing U0 classes?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Azland
If you go through that Advanced standing faq on the website it basically says that for each a level you get 6 credits more or less. That being said I doubt more then 2 of your A Level subjects actually relate to your course ( The rare exception may be some science courses where Chem/bio/Phy all contribute ). Like Econ for example would only really need Econ and Math as a pre req. By this logic you would only enter with 12 credits or so completed right? How exactly do you go U1 then? I assume that you would spend much more of your time actually doing U0 classes?

I can't give you a specific answer since I didn't do A-levels. But keep in mind that not all the courses you will take in your program will be related to your major. Several classes will be to "expand" your knowledge on different subjects, such as electives, where you're pretty much free to take any class you want in ANY department (or sometimes you have to choose within a certain list). Usually these will be intro classes, obviously if you're studying ECON you can't choose a 4th year computer engineering class (not that anybody would want to anyway :biggrin:). The number of electives you get depends on your program. The more "vocational/specific" the program, the less electives. So engineering programs usually get 3-4 electives, Arts programs get a lot more.

My point is that one or two (maybe more, I don't know) of your A-levels will probably count for those electives if they're not related to your major. I was in engineering and got credit for 2 electives (one history, one geography - clearly nothing to do with my program) so I was awarded 6 credits that were not related to my major. In the end I only had 1 elective to do in my entire program.
Reply 326
Ok so basically i plan to do a join honours program in Econ and PolSci. I get 18 credits as electives in my joint honours program.

Only 2 of my A levels are in the McGill List of advance standing. Those are

A Level Mathematics (Edexcel Board) course code: 9371 ---- according to the website I am awarded 3 credits for this and I am exempt from MATH 140

The other Subject on the list is Physics (Edexcel Board) course Code: 9PH01 and its says for this I get 8 credits and Im exempt from PHYS 131, 142 (not that im even taking physics)

None of my other A levels are on the list.

So does that me my total advanced credit will be 11 credits? So if the total program is 120 credits over 4 years does that mean I know have to complete 109 credits in order to graduate? Will I still be classified as U1 and if so, how long will it take to complete my degree? Can I still join the joint honours program?

Im sorry for all the questions but thank you guys so much for all the help.
Reply 327
Oh and since Physics isnt related to my major will those 8 credits be taken from my electives? So in the end I still have to complete 109 credits total but with only 10 credits for electives?

They say you can only be in U1 if you have 90-96 credits to complete.
Reply 328
Original post by ibs007
Ok so basically i plan to do a join honours program in Econ and PolSci. I get 18 credits as electives in my joint honours program.

Only 2 of my A levels are in the McGill List of advance standing. Those are

A Level Mathematics (Edexcel Board) course code: 9371 ---- according to the website I am awarded 3 credits for this and I am exempt from MATH 140

The other Subject on the list is Physics (Edexcel Board) course Code: 9PH01 and its says for this I get 8 credits and Im exempt from PHYS 131, 142 (not that im even taking physics)

None of my other A levels are on the list.

So does that me my total advanced credit will be 11 credits? So if the total program is 120 credits over 4 years does that mean I know have to complete 109 credits in order to graduate? Will I still be classified as U1 and if so, how long will it take to complete my degree? Can I still join the joint honours program?

Im sorry for all the questions but thank you guys so much for all the help.

I find it odd that they sub divide different boards and give different credit for each of them. I'm actually taking credit for some courses aswell. Though for me it says that I'll get 6 credits for Math (122 and 203 ) since I'm doing CIE Math.
Hey,

I have an offer from both Edinburgh and McGill, I have chosen to go to McGill.
I was just wondering if anyone had any idea of how they compare to each other?
Which one would you say is better? more reputable?
Reply 330
I HAVE NEWS!

ok, so I called up OASIS a McGill today and finally cleared up this A level/Advance Standing fiasco.

YOU GET 10 CREDITS FOR EACH A LEVEL YOU PASS AT GRADE C OR HIGHER!

So 3 A levels at grade C or above = 30 Credits (THIS IS THE MAX YOU CAN GET)

So we have to complete 90 credits to graduate...its a 3 year course!! wooohooo
Reply 331
Original post by Alexlol28
Hey,

I have an offer from both Edinburgh and McGill, I have chosen to go to McGill.
I was just wondering if anyone had any idea of how they compare to each other?
Which one would you say is better? more reputable?

Hi man I had offers from Bath and Exeter. I am going to McGill based on reputation and location. Edinburgh is a nice city but it depends on where you want to be Canada or Scotland? Reputation wise McGill has the slight edge based on my understanding. I think McGill does great to place students in top graduate programs in the likes of Havard, Yale, MIT, Oxbridge and Imperial. chad_bro_chill would tell you this is correct. However, Edinburgh may place well I am not sure. Weirdly, I have seen so many forums about Edinburgh vs McGill because I needed help making a decision. Here's an example: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1060649

I hope I have helped. Back to revision :L
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 332
Original post by ibs007
I HAVE NEWS!

ok, so I called up OASIS a McGill today and finally cleared up this A level/Advance Standing fiasco.

YOU GET 10 CREDITS FOR EACH A LEVEL YOU PASS AT GRADE C OR HIGHER!

So 3 A levels at grade C or above = 30 Credits (THIS IS THE MAX YOU CAN GET)

So we have to complete 90 credits to graduate...its a 3 year course!! wooohooo

Yo Ibrahim, that's great news! Thanks, I rang up and gave up after being put on hold and being forced to listen to some French Opera :s-smilie:

For our Mathematics A Level what exemptions do we get? For Economics Honours classes we need Math 141.

So no need for the four a levels? :frown: lol
Reply 333
Original post by Yash13
Yo Ibrahim, that's great news! Thanks, I rang up and gave up after being put on hold and being forced to listen to some French Opera :s-smilie:

For our Mathematics A Level what exemptions do we get? For Economics Honours classes we need Math 141.

So no need for the four a levels? :frown: lol

I think I remember that you do MEI. They dont actually have that on the list. I think you would have to call up and find out exactly. Lol, good luck with the songs again. They have a very detailed list though for the other boards.

Most of the boards are on 3 credits though except for CIE and AQA I think.

And yeah, no need of 4 AL's. Makes sense in a way since most people only do 3 anyway, so no credit for the 4th.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 334
Original post by Azland
I think I remember that you do MEI. They dont actually have that on the list. I think you would have to call up and find out exactly. Lol, good luck with the songs again. They have a very detailed list though for the other boards.

Most of the boards are on 3 credits though except for CIE and AQA I think.

And yeah, no need of 4 AL's. Makes sense in a way since most people only do 3 anyway, so no credit for the 4th.

Lol yes I am well remembered, I believe it is considered one of the harder boards. I should ideally get exemption from Math 141 but I will call up and check. Lool :mad: fml I hate the damn music! Yeah for Economics we don't have to do ECON 208/209 I think. What courses are you thinking of doing first semester/year? Are you going for Joint Honours?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 335
Original post by Yash13
Lol yes I am well remembered, I believe it is considered one of the harder boards. I should ideally get exemption from Math 141 but I will call up and check. Lool :mad: fml I hate the damn music! Yeah for Economics we don't have to do ECON 208/209 I think. What courses are you thinking of doing first semester/year? Are you going for Joint Honours?

Yeah Joint honours. CIE actually has more fm topics then any uk exam board so it has the highest credits in their standing there but still no 141 exemption. 141 is listed under further math for all boards listed there. Anyway I dont really mind doing it tbh.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 336
Original post by Azland
Yeah Joint honours. CIE actually has more fm topics then any uk exam board so it has the highest credits in their standing there but still no 141 exemption. 141 is listed under further math for all boards listed there. Anyway I dont really mind doing it tbh.

Nice with what? I can't decided between Maths + Eco or Econ + Finance. That's true but on facebook I have joined a group with McGill Economics students a few of them have done A Levels and got exemption from Math 140 and 141 so I am not so sure. It should say on our unofficial transcripts, which I can't see yet. I don't mind doing it either but I can't register for ECON 250D on Minerva then, I will have to ask the Honours advisor to allow me to.
Reply 337
Original post by Yash13
Nice with what? I can't decided between Maths + Eco or Econ + Finance. That's true but on facebook I have joined a group with McGill Economics students a few of them have done A Levels and got exemption from Math 140 and 141 so I am not so sure. It should say on our unofficial transcripts, which I can't see yet. I don't mind doing it either but I can't register for ECON 250D on Minerva then, I will have to ask the Honours advisor to allow me to.

I'm doing it with finance. I dont really want to do more math then needed tbh lol. Though go for it if you think you would like it. Can we register for stuff after we reach there by any chance? All this is so confusing without talking to an advisor.
Reply 338
Original post by Azland
I'm doing it with finance. I dont really want to do more math then needed tbh lol. Though go for it if you think you would like it. Can we register for stuff after we reach there by any chance? All this is so confusing without talking to an advisor.

Lol fair for Math + Eco might be a bit of GPA killer if I can't cope with the Math but it will helpful if I want to go to graduate school then again they won't let me in with a bad GPA. Hmm leaning towards finance at the moment. Yeah registering for courses opens June 1st and closes Sept 18th. Although, classes get filled on the first day apparently so I suppose we should register for courses we are sure about June 1st but yeah we can see an advisor first if you need. Why not call OASIS? http://www.mcgill.ca/oasis/ba/departmental/checklist
Reply 339
Original post by Yash13
Lol fair for Math + Eco might be a bit of GPA killer if I can't cope with the Math but it will helpful if I want to go to graduate school then again they won't let me in with a bad GPA. Hmm leaning towards finance at the moment. Yeah registering for courses opens June 1st and closes Sept 18th. Although, classes get filled on the first day apparently so I suppose we should register for courses we are sure about June 1st but yeah we can see an advisor first if you need. Why not call OASIS? http://www.mcgill.ca/oasis/ba/departmental/checklist

They dont put you on hold like the other one? Hmm, will call soon to be sure. I think though its compulsory for us to talk to an advisor or atleast meet him anyway before registering for these classes so they can approve it or something?

Edit : Oh and sorry for interupting your study time ;p. Do get back to it if your geting distracted.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending