The Student Room Group

McGill and UofT Applicants 2012

The 2011 thread was very popular last year and I found it very helpful, so here's the new one.

Questions, answers, worries, problems, stories? Fire away.

(I've been through the application process for both as an international).

Scroll to see replies

Last year, before I graduated from high school, I applied to U of T and got into Trinity College with a $5,000 scholarship (apparently was a U of T Scholar), which was quite a sweet deal. Nevertheless, I found out that the academic environment wasn't suitable for me after all, so I didn't attend.

I'm currently on my gap year and applied to McGill, which is better for me because 1) I get to stay closer to family and 2) I like the multilingual community of Montreal, since I get to practice all my languages on a regular basis. I applied to other schools as well, but I don't think I'd object going to McGill at all if that was the only option I had. :smile:
Reply 2
When should we expect replies from McGill ? Considering I applied a few weeks ago :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by allegroconbrio
Last year, before I graduated from high school, I applied to U of T and got into Trinity College with a $5,000 scholarship (apparently was a U of T Scholar), which was quite a sweet deal. Nevertheless, I found out that the academic environment wasn't suitable for me after all, so I didn't attend.

I'm currently on my gap year and applied to McGill, which is better for me because 1) I get to stay closer to family and 2) I like the multilingual community of Montreal, since I get to practice all my languages on a regular basis. I applied to other schools as well, but I don't think I'd object going to McGill at all if that was the only option I had. :smile:

Interesting to hear that, I choose McGill for similar reasons over UofT and am too on my gap year, I have a deferred offer to McGill from last year so no application worries for me this time :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Superglue25
When should we expect replies from McGill ? Considering I applied a few weeks ago :redface:

At the moment I believe their admissions office will still be on Christmas break (or just returning from), it is hard to say but as some measure I got my reply around 3 weeks after my status went to "in review".
Reply 5
Original post by Ishamo
At the moment I believe their admissions office will still be on Christmas break (or just returning from), it is hard to say but as some measure I got my reply around 3 weeks after my status went to "in review".

Oh ok thanks :smile:
Reply 6
I'm hoping to spend my third year at McGill :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ily_em
I'm hoping to spend my third year at McGill :smile:

What/Where are you studying now?
Reply 8
Original post by Ishamo
What/Where are you studying now?

Linguistics at UCL. The degree is normally 3 years but we can do a year abroad in 3rd year which makes it four years in total. I'm still not entirely sure if I want to do it as it's such a big move, but then I think it's only a year of my life and a great opportunity to experience living in another country and travel, so I probably shouldn't pass it up :p:

I have applied though as the deadline was a few weeks ago. There was a personal statement type thing and a few forms but I don't think it's that competitive (there are 2 spaces at McGill and only 1 other applicant, so I think only if McGill hate me for some reason will I be rejected)!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ishamo
Interesting to hear that, I choose McGill for similar reasons over UofT and am too on my gap year, I have a deferred offer to McGill from last year so no application worries for me this time :smile:

Lucky you! I actually also have a deferred offer from last year at UC Berkeley, so I'm technically still a Berkeley student (although my official status at the university is "Withdrawn"). It definitely helps as I'm not as worried this year in general. The only reason why I'm even applying to other schools this year is because Berkeley costs a fortune to attend, especially for international students.
Reply 10
Go to McGill since its the best school in Canada

Go to UofT if you want to be a statistic among thousands (and be surrounded by asians [not being racist I have nothing against asians])
Reply 11
Hey,
I'm applying from outside Canada and I don't know what to do on the Transcript Request section of the ouac form...
Dose anything have to be done on this section?
Original post by A-haaa
Hey,
I'm applying from outside Canada and I don't know what to do on the Transcript Request section of the ouac form...

Are you applying for undergrad?? I don't remember seeing that? OUAC is something to do with ontario high schools I think, so I guess you wouldn't need to do anything there
Reply 13
Original post by katiesonicboom
Are you applying for undergrad?? I don't remember seeing that? OUAC is something to do with ontario high schools I think, so I guess you wouldn't need to do anything there

Yeah, I'm applying for undergrad!
Really?! Are you sure you didn't see it? :confused:
Reply 14
Original post by A-haaa
Hey,

I don't remember the form exactly, can you quote it to me and it may jog a memory of what I did in that section.
Original post by Ishamo
The 2011 thread was very popular last year and I found it very helpful, so here's the new one.

Questions, answers, worries, problems, stories? Fire away.

(I've been through the application process for both as an international).

Hi! I've applied to McGill Uni. Just a question: I'm doing edexcel A levels and I've repeated an AS module last year (C1 maths :s-smilie:). Should I sent both of my results (the original and the retake) or only the retake?

Reply 16
Original post by sevenbooks
Hi! I've applied to McGill Uni. Just a question: I'm doing edexcel A levels and I've repeated an AS module last year (C1 maths :s-smilie:). Should I sent both of my results (the original and the retake) or only the retake?

I wouldn't know the exact answer, quite a specific question... maybe best to email McGill admissions for that one. However I would imagine send both, just to be on the safe side.
Original post by Ishamo
I wouldn't know the exact answer, quite a specific question... maybe best to email McGill admissions for that one. However I would imagine send both, just to be on the safe side.

Ok, I'll be sure to do that :colondollar: What course are you applying for, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm going for Physics :biggrin::cool:
Reply 18
Original post by sevenbooks
Ok, I'll be sure to do that :colondollar: What course are you applying for, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm going for Physics :biggrin::cool:

I'll be in Arts, majoring in PolSci or something similar/equally useless :smile:
Hello, I know this question has come up millions of times, but I'm another student who's indecisive of whether to apply for McGill or UofT for Economics (BA) (NOT commerce). I was planning to apply to both at first, but only realised how expensive the application fees are recently. Applying to UofT will cost me $220 (canadian dollars), and it's about $100 or 120 for McGill.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can share the differences in living in both cities/course structures/living cost. Thanks! From the information I gathered in the 2011 thread, McGill seems to be a more European-like city with more greenery, whereas Toronto is more populated but also diverse (more shops and restaurants around I guess?)

Also, how would you all compare UofT or Mcgill with UK unis such as Durham and Nottingham? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending