The Student Room Group

sociology exam 12th January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Kind of hoping for a 24 mark question on social policy as that seems pretty easy to me.
Nearly completed all revision now, only 1 booklet left to complete! Then onto politics... which is Friday. Oops.
It is me or does anyone feel that in Sociology a lot of the information you can 'bull-****'? :s-smilie:
Reply 42
I was wondering how many sociologists do you have to use on average per essay? I usually put 2 or 3 in when I'm doing practice essays.. Should I use more sociologists? I need an A and have no idea how to do a bloody essay lol! :'(
Reply 43
My teachers an examiner she said at least 4 but i tend to use 5 or 6 just to be on the safe side .
Just remember to evaluate, after every point .
Reply 44
Original post by s_axo
Hola!! I find mark schemes invaluable to find out some good studies! :smile: I can generally outline those for you

Hirsch- said that there will be 'equal blocks' whereby there will be as many 7 year olds as there are 68 year olds. Hirsch also said there will need to be a change in social policy, for example, more skills will have to be taught to older people to keep them in employment, housing policies will have to change, such as a down grading system to make room for younger people. In addition to this, we will have to change our opinions according to Hirsch, especially about source distribution as age is defined as a socially constructed time of life.

Mckeowen said that nutrition helped death rates to decrease, as it improved resistance

Townshed stated that ageism, the negative stereotyping of someone due to age, is because of state policies, such as the retirement process. Townshed believed that because of retirement, old people are literally 'forced' in to poverty, and to live off benefits

I found this all out using the Rob Webb sociology revision guide. It has a orange cover. Definitely gonna buy myself a copy instead of robbing my teachers copy! haha. It's a great book.

YOU ARE SO HELPFUL! THANK YOU FOR REPLYING ASAP! :smile:
One more thing, when you are writing an answer can you swear as in when you like refering to Ansley "takers of ****" do you actually write the word '****'?

With regards to childhood what does cross cultural differences mean?
Reply 45
Original post by sallylo
YOU ARE SO HELPFUL! THANK YOU FOR REPLYING ASAP! :smile:
One more thing, when you are writing an answer can you swear as in when you like refering to Ansley "takers of ****" do you actually write the word '****'?

With regards to childhood what does cross cultural differences mean?

Yes I think so, well I do anyway! and cross cultural differences means what childhood is like in different countries :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by snewlan
I've done post-modernism and modernism. Not really much to cover there though from what my class was taught.

Ahh, so there are more people :smile:
Well, from how much time we spent on it, I'd say its not that for off for an essay question, there's alot of views you can cover about family structures and who believes what.
Reply 47
Original post by Myda
Ahh, so there are more people :smile:
Well, from how much time we spent on it, I'd say its not that for off for an essay question, there's alot of views you can cover about family structures and who believes what.

Oh yeah I guess so, I do have a whole A3 page dedicated to just that so it might be worth going over :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by snewlan
Oh yeah I guess so, I do have a whole A3 page dedicated to just that so it might be worth going over :smile:

Haha, whole A3? *goes and checks own work too..* ... 4 A4 pages. :unsure: yeah that seems about the same.
Reply 49
So do we need to know about postmodernism and modernism? :/
Reply 50
Original post by Sana210693
My teachers an examiner she said at least 4 but i tend to use 5 or 6 just to be on the safe side .
Just remember to evaluate, after every point .

That's loads D: I don't know many... My revision guide doesn't have alot in, damn aha
I'll be sitting this exam.
Good luck everyone.
Revised so much.. I need an A so much.
(fingers crossed) it will be a decent paper..
Ah, and got government and politics the next day..
Original post by ruby_v
So do we need to know about postmodernism and modernism? :/

Yes it would be good to know about it, at least the definitions. It's better to have a general idea about something than none at all! I doubt they are gonna ask a direct question on it though. You usually just introduce a postmodernist/modernist perspective where you deem necessary in an essay.
Original post by heartlesswhore
It is me or does anyone feel that in Sociology a lot of the information you can 'bull-****'? :s-smilie:

Totally.. Once you have a general idea you can just about stimulate a good argument in a 24 Mark essay. As long as you're not ranting about how radical feminist are OTT and drama queens. But meh.. Hopefully it's a decent paper.
Original post by snewlan
Kind of hoping for a 24 mark question on social policy as that seems pretty easy to me.
Nearly completed all revision now, only 1 booklet left to complete! Then onto politics... which is Friday. Oops.

Omg I got politics too.. I really wanna concentrate on politics tbh. I'm just doing reading revision for sociology now, made so much key notes. Hm.. Good luck with politics.. Hopefully both exams will be decent. (fingers crossed)
My friend is doing this. We are in Year 11 but her mum's a teacher...
Yeah, it's an extra AS for her. Some people get all the luck, don't they?

Please understand the fake bitterness here. You are a sociologist.

:cool: My little contribution.
(edited 12 years ago)
To be honest, most of this unit is common sense. If your mind cannot generate a reasonable handful of reasons for changes in demographics, you don't deserve any kind of qualification.

I'd really like an essay on function of the family, and I would hate childbearing or lone-parent families.
My socio teachers seem to think family diversity or social policies are possibilities because they haven't come up before, but neither has Marxism.

Good luck, everyone.

I've revised everything, but I'm rusty on marriage/cohabitation/lone parenthood/etc. I've got a socio lesson tomorrow so hopefully I can cover it all.

EDIT: I've got Gov&Pol on the friday as well. A bit less confident on that one, I think.
Reply 57
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
To be honest, most of this unit is common sense. If your mind cannot generate a reasonable handful of reasons for changes in demographics, you don't deserve any kind of qualification.

I'd really like an essay on function of the family, and I would hate childbearing or lone-parent families.
My socio teachers seem to think family diversity or social policies are possibilities because they haven't come up before, but neither has Marxism.

Good luck, everyone.

I've revised everything, but I'm rusty on marriage/cohabitation/lone parenthood/etc. I've got a socio lesson tomorrow so hopefully I can cover it all.

EDIT: I've got Gov&Pol on the friday as well. A bit less confident on that one, I think.

A question on the assesment of marxism recently came up :smile:
Original post by s_axo
A question on the assesment of marxism recently came up :smile:

Bugger >_<.
Reply 59
Taking this on the 12th as well. Not too worried, I could have done more revision but most of the unit is common sense, let's be real. You could pretty much sit the exam without knowing anything about the syllabus and still get a C.

And yeah, gonna go over family diversity and social policy in detail tomorrow, since I also have a feeling that those are gonna come up in the exam. :3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending