The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrSupernova
Meh, not really... I only had 85% GCSE's and a fairly average BMAT score (4.9,6.5,3.5A), but as long as you do well enough to make it to interview it's a level playing field from there.

Presume you've got some work experience and volunteering lined up?

Hello, is it safe to assume that you got in? :smile:

If so, I badly need some advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only chances of getting shortlisted; it's only interview performance and, to a smaller extent, BMAT score after that. I think it's more correlation than causation that people with lower percentages of A*s are less likely to do well at interview. Mine was probably balanced out by my school not being particularly great and my high number of A*s (12) anyway tbh. They interviewed more than 5 people for every 2 places so I'd probably have had to be pretty good at interview anyway :wink:

Yeah, I got an offer from Univ. Still need to get the grades though... And firm it as well actually, even though I'm 90% sure I wanna go Oxford I'm waiting until the deadline in case I have a last minute change of heart :colondollar: What do you want to know? :smile:

Wow! Congratulation! I do understand what you mean.

How was the interview? Which other college interviewed you, and if you apply for Univ, or did an Open App and just got relocated to Univ. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only chances of getting shortlisted; it's only interview performance and, to a smaller extent, BMAT score after that. I think it's more correlation than causation that people with lower percentages of A*s are less likely to do well at interview.

That's a confident assertion - what is your source?

(Its also definitely not true, but we'll come onto that later :wink: )
Original post by EcstaZEEH
Oh my...I need to decide anyway :smile:

I haven't decided which college I will apply for :| Univ? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only problems I can foresee for medicine is grades and then that you applied for English, then human sciences and then medicine - they might call your commitment to the course into question - but if you're sure then you can convince them :smile:
Original post by nexttime
That's a confident assertion - what is your source?

(Its also definitely not true, but we'll come onto that later :wink: )

Feedback my sixth form asked for (I wasn't really bothered) only mentioned interview and BMAT ranking, according to notes (and my note-taking skills are very good; I have a part-time job where I have to write down everything being said) I took at an Oxbridge conference the Director of Pre-clinical studies said something along the lines of "Although we take a holistic approach to admissions, we place a particular emphasis on interview performance and, to a lesser extent, BMAT score", a student helper doing medicine who was taking me from one college to another for an interview said my GCSE's weren't important at this stage... I can't find anything online though so suspect I may well be talking ****e. Even though you probably have work to do, feel free to put me out of my misery :P
Wow! Congratulation! I do understand what you mean.

How was the interview? Which other college interviewed you, and if you apply for Univ, or did an Open App and just got relocated to Univ. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I applied for Univ and then got allocated to St Anne's (everyone who's shortlisted gets interviewed at two colleges, but can still receive an offer from one which is neither of these). They were similar really in that there was an ethics-based part which was essentially the same as the interviews at any other uni, and then a science-based part which involved being shown something and asked to explain it, or given an article and being asked if I thought it's findings were accurate and/or significant. The only difference was that it was one big interview at Univ and two separate ones at St Anne's. Enjoyed them a lot more than I thought I would despite how stressful they were, which really wasn't the case at my other medicine interviews
(edited 10 years ago)
Feedback my sixth form asked for (I wasn't really bothered) only mentioned interview and BMAT ranking, according to notes (and my note-taking skills are very good; I have a part-time job where I have to write down everything being said) I took at an Oxbridge conference the Director of Pre-clinical studies said something along the lines of "Although we take a holistic approach to admissions, we place a particular emphasis on interview performance and, to a lesser extent, BMAT score", a student helper doing medicine who was taking me from one college to another for an interview said my GCSE's weren't important at this stage... I can't find anything online though so suspect I may well be talking ****e. Even though you probably have work to do, feel free to put me out of my misery :P

I'd agree with the first couple of sources - they definitely are the most important. I don't think you can state that they aren't looked at from that though and as for the student - I suspect they were trying to be nice and reassure you.

My only counter-example is the tutors at my college, who have commented that they consider everything and about tryly outstanding academic profiles virtually guaranteeing offers. They've also commented specifically about how important considering the school is.

I think its safe to say that once you get an interview, that is most important, though.
Original post by Lucilou101
The only problems I can foresee for medicine is grades and then that you applied for English, then human sciences and then medicine - they might call your commitment to the course into question - but if you're sure then you can convince them :smile:

TELL ME ABOUT IT...that's one reason I am sure to be asked. I was asked in HMC when I was interviewed for HS.

I still have time to think, hopefully I can decide. :smile:

How was your first day back, anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
TELL ME ABOUT IT...that's one reason I am sure to be asked. I was asked in HMC when I was interviewed for HS.

I still have time to think, hopefully I can decide. :smile:

How was your first day back, anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was okay - usual stuff :smile:

Thinking about it - how did they actually know you'd applied and been offered a place before?
Original post by Lucilou101
It was okay - usual stuff :smile:

Thinking about it - how did they actually know you'd applied and been offered a place before?

My "silly" tutor mentioned it, thinking it was rather "cool" that I applied before...

I was actually caught off-guard...

Posted from TSR Mobile
For example, if you applied for History and English, could you be given an offer for just History OR English? Or would you just be rejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
For example, if you applied for History and English, could you be given an offer for just History OR English? Or would you just be rejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My understanding is you could indeed be given a single-subject offer :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I'm aware you could - although I'm not sure how likely it is.
I applied for Classics and English and was offered straight Classics :smile:
My "silly" tutor mentioned it, thinking it was rather "cool" that I applied before...

I was actually caught off-guard...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh..

Maybe don't mention it next time :wink:
Meh, not really... I only had 85% GCSE's and a fairly average BMAT score (4.9,6.5,3.5A), but as long as you do well enough to make it to interview it's a level playing field from there.

Presume you've got some work experience and volunteering lined up?

What is your overall BMAT score, and what type of work experiences did you take? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep you could!

Interestingly I know someone who applied for German sole, and got an offer for straight history. I'm not really sure how that worked...
Yeah, I applied for Univ and then got allocated to St Anne's (everyone who's shortlisted gets interviewed at two colleges, but can still receive an offer from one which is neither of these). They were similar really in that there was an ethics-based part which was essentially the same as the interviews at any other uni, and then a science-based part which involved being shown something and asked to explain it, or given an article and being asked if I thought it's findings were accurate and/or significant. The only difference was that it was one big interview at Univ and two separate ones at St Anne's. Enjoyed them a lot more than I thought I would despite how stressful they were, which really wasn't the case at my other medicine interviews

Hey, I would just like to know how did you prepare for the BMAT? Did you use revision books? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4017

Posted from TSR Mobile

Presumably the admissions stats would count that as an application in "History and English" (joint) but an acceptance in "History" (single) or "English" (single). So are the acceptance stats for the history joint subjects misleading?
Original post by nexttime
I'd agree with the first couple of sources - they definitely are the most important. I don't think you can state that they aren't looked at from that though and as for the student - I suspect they were trying to be nice and reassure you.

My only counter-example is the tutors at my college, who have commented that they consider everything and about tryly outstanding academic profiles virtually guaranteeing offers. They've also commented specifically about how important considering the school is.

I think its safe to say that once you get an interview, that is most important, though.

This is why I normally refrain from giving out advice on the Internet... The initial buzz brought by the feeling of self-importance is soon wiped out when someone more knowledgeable comes along :colondollar: There's a guy on this year's medical applicants thread who had ridiculously good GCSE's and BMAT, but he was rejected. He must have really bombed the interview I take it? Then again I suppose colleges may have different policies
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey, I would just like to know how did you prepare for the BMAT? Did you use revision books? :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Preparing for the UKCAT (600Q book was a godsend for this test) gave me a lot of the skills needed for S1. I bought one book for the BMAT as well, can't remember what it was called and I've binned it now cos it was in awful condition. It was decent for S1, but the S2 section was a bit vague and not really that relevant to what came up on the exam. This is shown by my 4.9 score in S2, which is below that of the average test taker and (I think) would have led to me being rejected from Imperial if I'd applied there, for example. So basically... I do not recommend that book haha.

What is your overall BMAT score, and what type of work experiences did you take?

Using Oxford's formula it works out as 63/100. I did a week in a GP's surgery, 2 weeks in a hospital (one week would have been enough tbh; the second felt like overkill), one week on a psychiatric ward working with occupational therapists (the most enjoyable, and possibly rewarding, out of all my placements, but didn't mention in my PS or any of my interviews) and I had volunteered for 6 months at a Hospice at the time of my interview. My work experience didn't come up at all in my Univ interview, thinking back... It was literally all science-based, other than one question, but I think it'd be against forum rules to write it on here
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending