The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucilou101
You wouldn't be reallocated before interview for that reason, it would just be because of the amount of applicants as all applications are considered the same, and 22 isn't exactly very mature! You do have a reasonably high chance of being invited for an extra interview at Harris Manchester though!

Thank you! :smile: Does this mean that if I apply to, say, Keble and get an interview there, if they don't have space for me but think I'm a good enough candidate I'll be sent for a second interview at Harris Manchester? It sounds like a cool college, don't get me wrong, but being just 22 I'd want to be at a different place for undergrad :tongue:
Original post by Swirll
Thank you! :smile: Does this mean that if I apply to, say, Keble and get an interview there, if they don't have space for me but think I'm a good enough candidate I'll be sent for a second interview at Harris Manchester? It sounds like a cool college, don't get me wrong, but being just 22 I'd want to be at a different place for undergrad :tongue:

You could be invited to any college for a second interview - I just think it's more likely that you'd get invited to Harris Manchester. It's entirely possible for you to be invited to various colleges or none at all! :smile:
Original post by Lucilou101
You could be invited to any college for a second interview - I just think it's more likely that you'd get invited to Harris Manchester. It's entirely possible for you to be invited to various colleges or none at all! :smile:

Oh, I see, thanks :smile:
I'm starting at Queens in October and I was wondering if they're really strict with overnight guests? Or do they not really care?
Original post by rpower123
I'm starting at Queens in October and I was wondering if they're really strict with overnight guests? Or do they not really care?

Trying to stop 18 year olds having "overnight guests" sounds like the most hopeless task imaginable. They're still working on stopping the tide coming in, i would think.

They will not care.
Original post by cherriesjubilee
When it mentioned food costs being charged for does that mean you pay whether or not you eat in, or are they all pay as you go?

It varies by college. Most seem to be pay as you go, but not all.
Are there many Scottish students at Oxford?
Does Oxford still greatly encourage Scots to apply as they stated a few years back in the news?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeschichteJunge
Does Oxford still greatly encourage Scots to apply as they stated a few years back in the news?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a good number, but not a huge number (probably around 50 a year). Clearly it should be more, not enough apply!

Unfortunately I think Scottish students tend to be put off by the distance, and by the fees (i.e. compared to staying in Scotland). Pretty sure those that come are glad they did though!
I am looking at St Johns, is the location good for engineering? Any pros or cons?

Any St John's students on here?
Original post by cherriesjubilee
I am looking at St Johns, is the location good for engineering? Any pros or cons?

Any St John's students on here?

Yeah it's a wonderful location for Engineering, it's would be hard to get any better!

Lots of pros: accommodation, everything is cheap, location
More here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons#St_John.27s_College
Original post by fluteflute
There's a good number, but not a huge number (probably around 50 a year). Clearly it should be more, not enough apply!

Unfortunately I think Scottish students tend to be put off by the distance, and by the fees (i.e. compared to staying in Scotland). Pretty sure those that come are glad they did though!

Thanks for replying :smile: what are the usual grades attained by Scottish students do you know of any? (As in Highers in S5)? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for replying :smile: what are the usual grades attained by Scottish students do you know of any? (As in Highers in S5)? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is what the website says:
Students with Scottish qualifications would usually be expected to have AAAAB or AAAAA in Scottish Highers, supplemented by two or more Advanced Highers. The University currently sets conditional offers that require AAB if a student is able to take three Advanced Highers; where this is not possible then a student would be expected to achieve AA in two Advanced Highers, as well as an A grade in an additional Higher course taken in Year 6.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not huge numbers, but a fair few. In my college there's one other Scottish student (as well as me) in my year and a couple in the year below. Oxford does encourage Scots to apply.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about applying from Scotland.
Reply 4333
What are some of the best colleges for physics and philosophy? And is the workload super crazy as some people have said it is? :smile:
Original post by delato
What are some of the best colleges for physics and philosophy? And is the workload super crazy as some people have said it is? :smile:

I did a BA in physics. I'd say Brasenose was pretty good for physics and philosophy. I'm not going to lie, the workload for phys phils did seem kinda crazy sometimes. There were times when they would be doing exactly what the physicists were doing plus philosophy on top, which seemed intense. I would also say that you should be careful with it - were you to decide you wanted a career in academic physics, it seems like it is much harder with a phys phil degree. That said, most of the phys phils I know do find their degrees really interesting, although very confusing sometimes!
Original post by silverground
Hi, I'm a fresher and want to join an orchestra/chamber group at Oxford. From what I've seen it seems to be auditioning, which I'm not too keen on doing as I have no piece ready, but I will if I see no alternative. What is the standard (roughly) of the woodwind players in each of the auditioning orchestras/groups? I noticed some non auditioning orchestras too.. what is the standard like/which one is of the highest standard? Also, do these non auditioning orchestras have caps on the number of people in each section?

I play a woodwind instrument to quite a high standard, I've done my grade 8 and have played in lots of orchestras around where I live and at college. I understand that the orchestras are particularly competitive for woodwind? I want to play with people that are a similar standard (grade 6/7+) and want to play classical music primarily.

The standard of OUPhil and OUO is incredibly high - there is a lot of competition. Of the non-auditioning groups, the only one I would recommend from my experiences is the Oxford Millennium Orchestra, which is non-auditioning but picky. Many of the players in it are also in OUPhil and OUO, but yes, there is a cap to keep things in proportion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Is it true that Oxford Biomedical sciences tutors will automatically reject personal statements that includes elements obviously aimed at medicine at other schools? Someone just posted this info and i'm really frustrated because I'm applaying to Oxford Biological sciences and 4 medical courses at other universities. I don't have a personal statement exclusively for medicine but I certainly do have elements involving it(volunteer at hospital, etc.)
Original post by ssd0904
Is it true that Oxford Biomedical sciences tutors will automatically reject personal statements that includes elements obviously aimed at medicine at other schools? Someone just posted this info and i'm really frustrated because I'm applaying to Oxford Biological sciences and 4 medical courses at other universities. I don't have a personal statement exclusively for medicine but I certainly do have elements involving it(volunteer at hospital, etc.)

I don't know if it affects the answer, but are you talking about Biomedical sciences or Biological sciences? (two different courses)
Original post by fluteflute
I don't know if it affects the answer, but are you talking about Biomedical sciences or Biological sciences? (two different courses)

What I heard is that Biomedical science tutors do that, I wanted to ask if

1.biomedical science tutors actually auto reject every application with personal statement aimed toward medicine
2.if yes, then would biological science tutors do that too?
Original post by silverground
Hi, I'm a fresher and want to join an orchestra/chamber group at Oxford. From what I've seen it seems to be auditioning, which I'm not too keen on doing as I have no piece ready, but I will if I see no alternative. What is the standard (roughly) of the woodwind players in each of the auditioning orchestras/groups? I noticed some non auditioning orchestras too.. what is the standard like/which one is of the highest standard? Also, do these non auditioning orchestras have caps on the number of people in each section?

I play a woodwind instrument to quite a high standard, I've done my grade 8 and have played in lots of orchestras around where I live and at college. I understand that the orchestras are particularly competitive for woodwind? I want to play with people that are a similar standard (grade 6/7+) and want to play classical music primarily.

Original post by cadence
The standard of OUPhil and OUSO is incredibly high - there is a lot of competition. Of the non-auditioning groups, the only one I would recommend from my experiences is the Oxford Millennium Orchestra, which is non-auditioning but picky. Many of the players in it are also in OUPhil and OUSO, but yes, there is a cap to keep things in proportion.
I play a woodwind instrument too (no prizes for guessing which one).

I didn't get into the auditioning orchestras (no surprises, I got grade 8 merit, but didn't play well in my audition - do prepare if you're going to go for it). Obviously there are a lot of good players, but I'd have thought it's worth giving it a go. And if you play the oboe, or to be honest anything other than flute, you would seem to have a decent chance.

My experience of the non-auditioning (i.e. college) ensembles has been a bit disappointing. I'm not currently playing in anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending