The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mahi.ik
I was hoping i would find an international student, i had some questions.. but is it compulsory to live at oxford if you are an undergraduate?

Yep, that's what I said! Terms are short and busy, and it wouldn't really be feasible to keep up with everything if you lived elsewhere.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Yes. Lectures aren't streamed and it's very unlikely that every tutor you'll have over your course will be happy to run tutorials via skype. I guess you could commute, but that doesn't really help you on the cost of living point. Costs etc are also partially dependent on your country of origin (much better if you're in the EU).

That's pretty much the problem, i would like to study at oxford but find accomodation elsewhere nearby.. is it not allowed completely? And if you can please quote for me the estimate full accomodation costs for students? The website had it 8 - 12 thousand pounds approximately.. is it that much ??how much is it per month for you if u dont mind telling me :smile: thanx
Original post by mahi.ik
That's pretty much the problem, i would like to study at oxford but find accomodation elsewhere nearby.. is it not allowed completely? And if you can please quote for me the estimate full accomodation costs for students? The website had it 8 - 12 thousand pounds approximately.. is it that much ??how much is it per month for you if u dont mind telling me :smile: thanx

Some colleges only offer accomodation for a certain amount of years i.e. Regents so maybe you could look at those? You would have to live in for the first year
Original post by mahi.ik

Some colleges have price tiering systems for accommodation, like Oriel I believe, which means you could apply for the cheapest rooms. At Regent's it costs £3000 for a year's accommodation and at richer colleges I assume it would be even cheaper - many colleges subside accommodation costs, so if you research enough you should be able to find a college which would provide cheap enough accommodation
Original post by antigone-
Some colleges only offer accomodation for a certain amount of years i.e. Regents so maybe you could look at those? You would have to live in for the first year

So when i apply and specify the college, do i have to choose the amount of years i want to live in ? Or is it renewed every year? Please explain, thankyou so much !
Original post by Naomi12
Some colleges have price tiering systems for accommodation, like Oriel I believe, which means you could apply for the cheapest rooms. At Regent's it costs £3000 for a year's accommodation and at richer colleges I assume it would be even cheaper - many colleges subside accommodation costs, so if you research enough you should be able to find a college which would provide cheap enough accommodation

Oh okay, so the accomodation amount is based on the college i choose right? Well that helped so much thanks ! I feel the fee is extremely high for international students !
Original post by *pitseleh*
Yep, that's what I said! Terms are short and busy, and it wouldn't really be feasible to keep up with everything if you lived elsewhere.

Oops ..I posted the reply twice by mistake ! Which college do you think is the most feasible for international students ?
Original post by mahi.ik
Oops ..I posted the reply twice by mistake ! Which college do you think is the most feasible for international students ?

Hm.. that question doesn't really make much sense; things like lectures are centralised, and even students studying the same subject at different colleges will get roughly the same number of contact hours per week, so there isn't a college with a lighter workload, if that's what you're asking?

Edit: did you mean which Oxford college has the cheapest accommodation? IIRC Wadham was the cheapest a few years ago - it's probably not much different now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mahi.ik
So when i apply and specify the college, do i have to choose the amount of years i want to live in ? Or is it renewed every year? Please explain, thankyou so much !

No you don't choose at the time of application. What normally happens is that a room ballot is held each year for the next academic year. For example, Regent's only offers accommodation for 1st and 3rd years. The ballot for accommodation in your 3rd year will take place sometime in your 2nd year; if you don't want to live in Regent's in your 3rd year, just pull out of the ballot and don't choose a room.
Original post by *pitseleh*
Hm.. that question doesn't really make much sense; things like lectures are centralised, and even students studying the same subject at different colleges will get roughly the same number of contact hours per week, so there isn't a college with a lighter workload, if that's what you're asking?

Edit: did you mean which Oxford college has the cheapest accommodation? IIRC Wadham was the cheapest a few years ago - it's probably not much different now.

Yes , i meant the cheapest college accomodation. Thanks alot for all the help though :biggrin:
Original post by mishieru07
No you don't choose at the time of application. What normally happens is that a room ballot is held each year for the next academic year. For example, Regent's only offers accommodation for 1st and 3rd years. The ballot for accommodation in your 3rd year will take place sometime in your 2nd year; if you don't want to live in Regent's in your 3rd year, just pull out of the ballot and don't choose a room.

Oh okay, thats great! Thankyou so much:biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by mahi.ik

You won't want to be living out in Oxford if £8-12k is unaffordable. Accommodation in college is significantly cheaper than renting, unless you just want a room in a 3+ bedroom house which can be as cheap as renting in college (depending on your definition of 'nearby') but if you want to rent a 1 bedroom flat or something for yourself you'll be looking at £12k+ a year in rent alone.
Original post by mahi.ik

Personally, I spend £22/night on college accommodation and then about £150/week on everything else. This is way more than the bare minimum though, you can probably get by on about £50/week for everything else.
Oxford offers two degrees in the hard sciences that I think are offered only as integrated masters: MChem and MBiochem. De facto, people are recruited for a Masters-level course on the basis of their A-levels. And not some of them: all of the cohort.

I can't see what measures are in place to mop up the people who struggle. I mean, there's no obvious exit point, no provison to 'just take the bachelors', and no obvious opportunity to switch-out while remaining within the university, as at Cambridge a struggling natural scientist might do the third year in History & Philosophy of Science, or Management Science or Biological anthropology.

So what happens if I reveal myself toward the end of the MChem second year as certain not to get better than a 2.2 in the year three exams, and not certain even of getting that of 2.2? Do I only have to either leave the university or look forward to two years of it becoming only more mystifying? And does the department have to look forward to two years of nursemaiding me? Surely not. But then what?
Original post by mahi.ik

All colleges are feasible for international students, but you MUST live within 6 miles of city centre (specifically, of Carfax), and you must remain within the area for all of term- at least 42 nights. You aren't supposed to leave even on weekends, though that is a rule observed more in the breach than in the practice!

http://www.univ.ox.ac.uk/content/residence-requirements.
Original post by cambio wechsel
Oxford offers two degrees in the hard sciences that I think are offered only as integrated masters: MChem and MBiochem. De facto, people are recruited for a Masters-level course on the basis of their A-levels. And not some of them: all of the cohort.

I can't see what measures are in place to mop up the people who struggle. I mean, there's no obvious exit point, no provison to 'just take the bachelors', and no obvious opportunity to switch-out while remaining within the university, as at Cambridge a struggling natural scientist might do the third year in History & Philosophy of Science, or Management Science or Biological anthropology.

So what happens if I reveal myself toward the end of the MChem second year as certain not to get better than a 2.2 in the year three exams, and not certain even of getting that of 2.2? Do I only have to either leave the university or look forward to two years of it becoming only more mystifying? And does the department have to look forward to two years of nursemaiding me? Surely not. But then what?

We've not had a case involving MCHEM or MBIOCHEM but a few years ago an MENGINEER did exit after three years. The Department and University agreed to vary the regulations, taking account of personal circumstances. Across the University, some students transfer (either to another course or to a dufferent University) at the end of the first year after the results of the first public examination.

Your main point is worth emphasising - these are four year programmes with an integrated masters year. Entry standards are, therefore, high and applicants need to be committed to four years of study that reaches a very advanced level by the end of the course. The great majority of students do complete their programme and graduate with a 2.1 or 1st. There are, however, risks attached to any undergraduate degree - non-completion or graduation with a 2.2 are possibilities to bear in mind.

Other science degrees are 4 years with the option of graduating with a BA after 3 years (Maths and Physics) or 3 years (Biology).
What limits are there on internet? I saw they ban torrents, but what about online movie streaming? If it is due to broadband usage, does that mean that websites like twitch.tv (live game streams) or online gaming in general won't work? What about upload speed to upload youtube videos?

I really want to know because in Spain, universities never check or restrict your internet and I was quite shocked about in being normal to restrict internet in the UK.

Right now I'm on 3mbps download, 500kbps upload and 120ms ping, so if it is any better it will be much appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Guarzog
What limits are there on internet? I saw they ban torrents, but what about online movie streaming? If it is due to broadband usage, does that mean that websites like twitch.tv (live game streams) or online gaming in general won't work? What about upload speed to upload youtube videos?

I really want to know because in Spain, universities never check or restrict your internet and I was quite shocked about in being normal to restrict internet in the UK.

Right now I'm on 3mbps download, 500kbps upload and 120ms ping, so if it is any better it will be much appreciated.

I stream films, watch live streams and twitch and do some online gaming and have never had a problem with the university internet. I've never heard anything about my internet usage being restricted at all to be honest.

I've also just done a speed test using a random checker online and come out with : 12.9mb/s download, 0.91mb/s upload and 348ms ping. Admittedly this is using my college's wifi rather than the university network, so might not be representative of the whole university.
Original post by Guarzog

Just did a test using the University WiFi and got:

14.72mbps download, 9.66mbps upload and 3ms png

I've never had a problem with WiFi restrictions and I watch a lot of live TV and stream a lot :smile:
If i live in an international country, how do i do a BMAT as it is required for admission for medicine .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending