The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
So would you say that not having Maths A level but having History would be OK if you are applying for PPE ? It seems that not having Maths A level is seen as a massive disadvantage but you've just stated that there is barely any maths in the course. Furthermore, my neighbour is a professor of Economics at West Minister and he said that he'll teach me economics during A level. So. Should I take Maths A level or not ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

90% of successful applicants have Maths, so you'd need a very strong application to get in without.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
90% of successful applicants have Maths, so you'd need a very strong application to get in without.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see. I'll just stick with Maths for A level then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see. I'll just stick with Maths for A level then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths A Level is really fun btw, much more so than the GCSE.
What is the recommended set of books for PPE wider reading prior to Oxford?
Here are my questions:

1) Would Oxford prefer applicants to do Chemistry/Physics rather than Biology A Level? Just that I am stronger at Biology. Yes, I could probably manage Chemistry A Level, but would I not 'stand out' as much if I chose Biology over the other sciences? I am planning to apply for law.

2) Also, may someone outline the recommended reading list for Oxford Law applicants? I have read a law GCSE text book and a book called: 'what is law?' so far. What else would be highly recommended?

3) Is taking maths A level highly recommended? Bearing in mind that I would like to apply for law.

Thank-you
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
Here are my questions:

1) Would Oxford prefer applicants to do Chemistry/Physics rather than Biology A Level? Just that I am stronger at Biology. Yes, I could probably manage Chemistry A Level, but would I not 'stand out' as much if I chose Biology over the other sciences? I am planning to apply for law.

2) Also, may someone outline the recommended reading list for Oxford Law applicants? I have read a law GCSE text book and a book called: 'what is law?' so far. What else would be highly recommended?

3) Is taking maths A level highly recommended? Bearing in mind that I would like to apply for law.

Thank-you

Don't read a 'recommended list', read things about the law (and surrounding subjects like politics and philosophy) which you find interesting. I posted something of a recommendation either on the last page or in the law students thread. As for biology vs chemistry, I really doubt that one is preferred over the other given you're planning to study law. Maths A Level is respected and really fun (I just graduated in law, did maths, further maths, law and french at A Level).
Original post by Edminzodo

What proportion of unsuccessful applicants have maths?
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Don't read a 'recommended list', read things about the law (and surrounding subjects like politics and philosophy) which you find interesting. I posted something of a recommendation either on the last page or in the law students thread. As for biology vs chemistry, I really doubt that one is preferred over the other given you're planning to study law. Maths A Level is respected and really fun (I just graduated in law, did maths, further maths, law and french at A Level).

thank-you very much for the helpful advice. i really appreciate your time taken in replying to me :smile: congratulations on the law degree :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths A Level is really fun btw, much more so than the GCSE.

In what way ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
any med students here? :smile:
Dear tsr community, I am an overseas student who is interested in applying for PPE in the autumn of 2016. Below I have listed the majority of activities that I have taken part in, (some minor and irrelevant ones such as participation in art expositions and piano have not been included):-School volleyball team captain-Leos club president 2013-2014 and ongoing member-Vice captain of green house 2015-2016-Annual participation in the school choir and school shows ( some major roles)-In the progress of completion of my Duke of Edinburgh gold medal award-School council and house rep. Years 7 to 11-Cambridge certificate of proficiency in English ( top grade (A))
-Numerous LAMDA exams all passed with distinction
- GCSE grades: 8A*, 3A and 2B (awarded the prize for best GCSE results of 2015 in the school)
-Participated as delegate in the FAMUN 2016 (Model United Nations)
-1st language English, Spanish and Russia- Co-creator of the school debating society. Currently I am studying my A levels, this year taking the full Spanish A level, Russian AS, English Lit AS and Maths AS (also doing History but doing both AS and A2 exams next year. However, unfortunately this year, my Maths AS exams did not go very well, and I fear they will come out as a B (something I am very worried about, for I feel like I have lost all my chances of a successful application). Therefore, I have the following questions for the tsr community:Are my current achievements enough to apply?If I do come out with a B at AS maths, would Oxford look down on a retake?Can I leave maths as an AS and do another another A level in a year, and if so which would you recommend? Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Original post by confused dot com
It may be a silly question, but where do you wash your clothes? Do most people just take a bag to their parents or go to a laundrette?

Im not to sure about the other colleges but i assume they are the same, but Pembroke accommodation has washing facilities!
Original post by connormc199
Im not to sure about the other colleges but i assume they are the same, but Pembroke accommodation has washing facilities!

BTW, the post you quoted was from 2012; you can scroll to the most recent post when you check out a forum :smile:
ohh... i just realised how old this thread originates...
Original post by rosemondtan
any med students here? :smile:

I'm a recent alumnus if that counts.

GCSE is very repetitive and often easy, with little emphasis on applying your knowledge to unorthodox situations. This changes a bit at A Level.
GCSE is very repetitive and often easy, with little emphasis on applying your knowledge to unorthodox situations. This changes a bit at A Level.

Thank God. It's the repetitive nature of Maths that pisses me off. May I ask what GCSEs grades you have achieved ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank God. It's the repetitive nature of Maths that pisses me off. May I ask what GCSEs grades you have achieved ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean, you're still doing the same process a number of times because that's how you learn, but there's more variety.

GCSE was 6 years ago for me, but back int' day ( :wink: ) I got 9 A* 5 A.

I agree with this. AS maths is still quite repetitive, and you still get asked things like "expand these brackets" but this improves a lot in A2 where you get to do more interesting maths, combining lots of techniques. The applied maths modules are also a nice change, as I'd never done applied maths before.

Now Further Maths A-levels, that's where it's at. I have such a love hate relationship with it. AS was relatively easy (I found AS chem harder, but maybe that's just me) but A2 Further Maths is pretty tough. The best A2 though by far
Can you give me an honest opinion on each of the following-
Oriel
Christchurch
Magdalen

I am loooking to study medicine, am a keen rower, and want somewhere with nice accommodation and to be able to get to know other first years. Which would you personally choose?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending