The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannahrobinsxn
Here are my questions:

1) Would Oxford prefer applicants to do Chemistry/Physics rather than Biology A Level? Just that I am stronger at Biology. Yes, I could probably manage Chemistry A Level, but would I not 'stand out' as much if I chose Biology over the other sciences? I am planning to apply for law.

2) Also, may someone outline the recommended reading list for Oxford Law applicants? I have read a law GCSE text book and a book called: 'what is law?' so far. What else would be highly recommended?

3) Is taking maths A level highly recommended? Bearing in mind that I would like to apply for law.

Thank-you

I've been offered a place for Law for 2016 entry, and I took Biology and Maths AS, dropped Biology at A2 and am carrying on with Maths. They don't seem to mind which subjects you do when applying for Law, it's more about the skills you gain- e.g. an essay writing subject, an analytical subject, a problem-solving one, and about what grades you get. Just take the subjects you enjoy the most, as you'll be most likely to get a higher grade in them
Original post by LoveToArgue
I've been offered a place for Law for 2016 entry, and I took Biology and Maths AS, dropped Biology at A2 and am carrying on with Maths. They don't seem to mind which subjects you do when applying for Law, it's more about the skills you gain- e.g. an essay writing subject, an analytical subject, a problem-solving one, and about what grades you get. Just take the subjects you enjoy the most, as you'll be most likely to get a higher grade in them

What GCSEs did you get ? Thanks.

~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~

In terms of grades. Thanks again.

~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~

thank-you very much for your response, i really appreciate it! :smile: well done for being offered a place! that's amazing! do you mind telling me what GCSE and AS results you gained? also, would you mind informing me about the whole interview & LNAT test? really appreciate it, thank-you again :smile:
thank-you very much for your response, i really appreciate it! :smile: well done for being offered a place! that's amazing! do you mind telling me what GCSE and AS results you gained? also, would you mind informing me about the whole interview & LNAT test? really appreciate it, thank-you again :smile:

I second that! I also got an offer for Law 2016 entry; at AS Level I did Maths, Econ, Hist and Biology. I then dropped Maths. It really doesn't matter what you do, so long as the subjects are considered to be 'challenging' :-)

Feel free to message me if you want any help with your application or have any questions about mine x
Original post by Aquaxo
I second that! I also got an offer for Law 2016 entry; at AS Level I did Maths, Econ, Hist and Biology. I then dropped Maths. It really doesn't matter what you do, so long as the subjects are considered to be 'challenging' :-)

Feel free to message me if you want any help with your application or have any questions about mine x

Congratulations. 👏👏👏👏👏

Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
In terms of grades. Thanks again.

11A* 1A but that was at the top of the range i think for people i met at interview, there were some people there with a handful of A*s, or a mixed bag of A*s,As,Bs, so I think our AS performance counted for more. Good GCSEs won't get you a definite place but of course they wouldnt harm your application
11A* 1A but that was at the top of the range i think for people i met at interview, there were some people there with a handful of A*s, or a mixed bag of A*s,As,Bs, so I think our AS performance counted for more. Good GCSEs won't get you a definite place but of course they wouldnt harm your application

agreed. I don't think the GCSE grades you get are super important, I know a girl with an offer for physics at Oxford who got mainly B's abd Cs because she went to a bad school. It's more like a little boost if your entrance exam and interview scores are identical to another candidate and they can't choose between you. I also got an offer for physics there, and met tonnes of different students who are applying to a wide range of subjects. Seems to me, so long as you have the subjects that are vital (like physics and maths for me) then the others don't have to be related. I kmow a girl with an offer for law who did French, fine art, History and Law for her ASs
For medicine to get an interview its literally just gcse grades, numbef and percent of a*s as etc. Compared to ur schools average, u then get that with ur bmat to rank u. Interviews only affect whether ur college of choice accepts u not whether u get in

GCSE 11A* 1A
AS 6A (including general studies) but most people I met at interview took 4 subjects and got a mix of As, Bs and Cs

Interview process was a lot of fun- only had 2 interviews about half an hour long each, one more of a debate, and the other hypothetical situations and about me personally. My tip is very cliché but just be yourself because at least you know that if you don't get in, it wasn't right for you anyway, but if you do get in then you know they genuinely like you. Don't be afraid to make mistakes but make sure you listen to the questions and explain your thought process! The questions require no prior legal knowledge, the tutors just want to learn how you think to see if you're suited to the tutorial-style degree. Also, if you're having a good time and really enjoying the interview, tell them or express it through your facial expressions, no one likes someone who looks miserable. (Look in my older forum posts for more detail- it was all back in December so I can't remember that much now!)

As for the LNAT, do all the practise papers on the website and you might find some preparation books helpful (Mark Shepherd was my favourite), practise typing essays to time, and download the LNAT simulator on your computer so that you know vaguely how to work the software when you do the actual test. Book your test slot early as possible to make sure you get in before the deadline and get it over and done with.

Hope this is helpful!
I am doing my GCSEs right now and I know this has been asked a lot but I go to a school with around a 45% pass rate. I am predicted 6A*s 3As and 1B however I am aiming for 7A*s and 3As. I was just wondering if I got 7A*s 2As and 1B would that be perfectly fine for a subject like medicine, law, economics and maths? The Bs in english lit but there is a slight chance I got a B in english lang haha. And the A is in Computer science and English lang.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
I am doing my GCSEs right now and I know this has been asked a lot but I go to a school with around a 45% pass rate. I am predicted 6A*s 3As and 1B however I am aiming for 7A*s and 3As. I was just wondering if I got 7A*s 2As and 1B would that be perfectly fine for a subject like medicine, law, economics and maths? The Bs in english lit but there is a slight chance I got a B in english lang haha. And the A is in Computer science and English lang.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Medicine it could cause problems but for the others, it's fine.
Original post by Plagioclase
For Medicine it could cause problems but for the others, it's fine.

Even with medicine I know people here with multiple Bs and Cs - if your school does have a low pass rate they will take your results in context, particularly if your GCSEs in the relevant subjects are A*s (ie sciences/maths for medicine/maths/economics). Don't put the possibility of a B or two put you off from applying :smile:
Original post by square_peg
Even with medicine I know people here with multiple Bs and Cs - if your school does have a low pass rate they will take your results in context, particularly if your GCSEs in the relevant subjects are A*s (ie sciences/maths for medicine/maths/economics). Don't put the possibility of a B or two put you off from applying :smile:

Just going off the admissions statistics from last year which show that your chance of getting into Oxford for Medicine with 7A*s is less than 5%. Which is pretty much a waste of an option given how competitive Medicine is.
Just going off the admissions statistics from last year which show that your chance of getting into Oxford for Medicine with 7A*s is less than 5%. Which is pretty much a waste of an option given how competitive Medicine is.

The statistics may say this, but individual cases are different, and applications considered holistically. The acceptance rate is already low, even for people with many A*s, and a LOT more goes into an application than their GCSEs, such as admissions tests, interviews, personal statement, and personal circumstances. Was just letting the poster know that I know several medics with Bs and Cs and that in my personal opinion, it it worth considering applying :smile:
The statistics may say this, but individual cases are different, and applications considered holistically. The acceptance rate is already low, even for people with many A*s, and a LOT more goes into an application than their GCSEs, such as admissions tests, interviews, personal statement, and personal circumstances. Was just letting the poster know that I know several medics with Bs and Cs and that in my personal opinion, it it worth considering applying :smile:

I would be extremely cautious about advising such applicants to apply to Oxford for Medicine. Yes, there are outliers, but the fact of the matter is that the vast, vast majority of applicants with such a GCSE profile will be rejected without interview. I think it's somewhat disingenuous to encourage applications when the odds of success are so low, especially for Medicine, where applicants only have 4 choices and admission is so competitive.
GCSE 11A* 1A
AS 6A (including general studies) but most people I met at interview took 4 subjects and got a mix of As, Bs and Cs

Interview process was a lot of fun- only had 2 interviews about half an hour long each, one more of a debate, and the other hypothetical situations and about me personally. My tip is very cliché but just be yourself because at least you know that if you don't get in, it wasn't right for you anyway, but if you do get in then you know they genuinely like you. Don't be afraid to make mistakes but make sure you listen to the questions and explain your thought process! The questions require no prior legal knowledge, the tutors just want to learn how you think to see if you're suited to the tutorial-style degree. Also, if you're having a good time and really enjoying the interview, tell them or express it through your facial expressions, no one likes someone who looks miserable. (Look in my older forum posts for more detail- it was all back in December so I can't remember that much now!)

As for the LNAT, do all the practise papers on the website and you might find some preparation books helpful (Mark Shepherd was my favourite), practise typing essays to time, and download the LNAT simulator on your computer so that you know vaguely how to work the software when you do the actual test. Book your test slot early as possible to make sure you get in before the deadline and get it over and done with.

Hope this is helpful!

Thank-you so much! :smile: well done, those are brilliant GCSE and AS grades! Fair enough, I will probably take 4 AS'. But yes, i really appreciate all of the advice and information which you have provided me with. Wishing you the best of luck for the future! :smile:

Yes applications are considered holistically but that doesn't change the fact that admissions statistics over the past few years show a very clear correlation between acceptance rate and GCSE results. Last cycle, your chance of being accepted with 6/7A*s was almost an order of magnitude lower than your chance of being accepted with 12A*s. For practically any other subject I'd agree that it's worth applying but for medicine, with many applicants not even getting a single acceptance, it's simply not worth applying to Oxford for Medicine unless you've got a decent chance of being shortlisted at the very least. Outliers exist but the overwhelming likelihood is that you're not going to be an outlier.
Yes applications are considered holistically but that doesn't change the fact that admissions statistics over the past few years show a very clear correlation between acceptance rate and GCSE results. Last cycle, your chance of being accepted with 6/7A*s was almost an order of magnitude lower than your chance of being accepted with 12A*s. For practically any other subject I'd agree that it's worth applying but for medicine, with many applicants not even getting a single acceptance, it's simply not worth applying to Oxford for Medicine unless you've got a decent chance of being shortlisted at the very least. Outliers exist but the overwhelming likelihood is that you're not going to be an outlier.

Also just to add these grades would be the highest grades the school has ever got bringing me to first rank out of my whole year group. Does that change anything?

Thank you everyone who has given advice haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for replying :smile: I will decide when the time is closer and after I have done more research :smile:

Just saying if I do get those grades, it will be the highest grades the school has ever got and will be the one with the highest grade in my year group! Does this change anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest