The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BARbaric
That is so lovely of you for setting all of that out, thank you. I hope karma is with you. Thank you for not mentioning to my competitors about 5SAH being keen on interviewees turning up in chicken suits. Hopefully that will give me the edge I require... Good luck at 13KBW.

Thanks BARbaric and good luck with the fancy dress ;-)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by pupillage1986
Got a couple of second rounds involving advocacy exercises - will this definitely be a plea in mitigation or a bail app in people's exeriences?

Also - do they usually give you any books or anything to use, or sentencing guidelines?

Thanks

J

I think it usually is those things; but I've had second rounds that have been a bit more inventive; one had an opening speech and one had an application before a judge on practicalities (it was moving the date of a trial). However, I would say it is more likely to be PiM or bail than anything else, but just be aware that there are other options.

If you've been given the problem in advance to prepare, then you're not usually given anything on the day; you're expected to have brought sentencing guidelines, other relevant guidance etc with you. If they're giving it you to prepare on the day (i.e. 30 mins before you go in) then they will almost certainly give you a bundle of whatever they think you need, be that guidelines, Archbold etc.

Because they know that some candidates won't have done the BPTC yet they're usually very fair, in my experience, at looking for a good overall advocacy style, as opposed to standard 'Bar School' format (and see the very helpful post from somene a few pages back about 2BR second round advocacy exercise). Providing you have either done the BPTC, or seen those sorts of things in court (either on a mini-pupillage or from your own volition) you should be as well-armed as the next person :smile:.

Good luck!
Original post by chimera_5452
Sorry to be invasive and feel free not to answer, but what do you mean by blip? Do you mean a mistake on your OLPAS form or something like that or a negative exam result or a period of absence etc?

No, that's OK, it was just one of my grades that's a bit of an anomaly so they asked why I hadn't performed in line with my other results. Good luck!

Reply 3123
Original post by BARbaric
That is so lovely of you for setting all of that out, thank you. I hope karma is with you. Thank you for not mentioning to my competitors about 5SAH being keen on interviewees turning up in chicken suits. Hopefully that will give me the edge I require... Good luck at 13KBW.

I was under the impression that the theme was masked avengers?!
Original post by wantobeathebar
No, that's OK, it was just one of my grades that's a bit of an anomaly so they asked why I hadn't performed in line with my other results. Good luck!

Thanks and same to you!
Reply 3125
Still no news from 9 St Johns Street Crime 2nd rounds?
or 1 High Pavement first rounds... despite them seeking references..?!
Evening all.

I've got apps with Angel, Apex, and Iscoed. Everyone else OLPAS-wise is gone now, but nothing from those two.

Anyone heard owt interview-wise from any of them?
Reply 3127
Quick question: all those interviewing at Dyers- was everyone's interview today or are they interviewing on other days as well?
Original post by All Bar None
Evening all.

I've got apps with Angel, Apex, and Iscoed. Everyone else OLPAS-wise is gone now, but nothing from those two.

Anyone heard owt interview-wise from any of them?

Still waiting on those three as well!

Original post by FurryFeet
I think it usually is those things; but I've had second rounds that have been a bit more inventive; one had an opening speech and one had an application before a judge on practicalities (it was moving the date of a trial). However, I would say it is more likely to be PiM or bail than anything else, but just be aware that there are other options.

If you've been given the problem in advance to prepare, then you're not usually given anything on the day; you're expected to have brought sentencing guidelines, other relevant guidance etc with you. If they're giving it you to prepare on the day (i.e. 30 mins before you go in) then they will almost certainly give you a bundle of whatever they think you need, be that guidelines, Archbold etc.

Because they know that some candidates won't have done the BPTC yet they're usually very fair, in my experience, at looking for a good overall advocacy style, as opposed to standard 'Bar School' format (and see the very helpful post from somene a few pages back about 2BR second round advocacy exercise). Providing you have either done the BPTC, or seen those sorts of things in court (either on a mini-pupillage or from your own volition) you should be as well-armed as the next person :smile:.

Good luck!

At the risk of sounding like a tired old appellate judge...

I have had the benefit of reading the judgment of my noble and learned friend, Lord/Lady Feet of TSR, with whom I agree. I would though add a few remarks of my own.

1) In respect of the 'other exercise(s)' - I think what Furry feet might be alluding to is that 23 essex street last year asked candidates to, amongst other things, make 'an application to break a fixture'. I remember being sat there in the prep room literally thinking 'Oh. My. God. What on EARTH is that?' Luckily common sense prevailed and as Furry feet says, its basically an application to move a trial date. If I remember rightly, in that case it was something to do with issues about disclosure...don't be afraid though to recognise that sometimes you have to say to the court 'its our fault, we haven't done x - and we fully accept there will be a wasted costs application here that the court is going to be minded to grant, however the interests of justice require that we break this fixture because x, y z'.

2) When they give you the advocacy exercise just before the interview itself, be aware of potential pitfalls. Its not so much an attempt to trap you as a test in determining how well you can use information. For example whether you were given a bail application or a plea in mitigation - you might be given a whole range of information about the defendant's circumstances/ circumstances of the offence. On initial examination all of it seems very juicy and there is a temptation to, whilst making notes, think that you need to mention everything.

STOP. RESET. Re-READ.

Work out what is/are the MOST important things you need to be saying. Be selective. If you do this properly you demonstrate to the panel that you:
(i) are capable of choosing the relevant information;
(ii) can understand certain points are more persuasive than others and
(iii) you have the cahones to be decisive.
Believe me. Point (iii) alone will impress them.

3) Whilst there is no set formula, from what I have seen - keep it simple and direct. Therefore (and doubtless others will (dis)agree with me here) I suggest the following as a rough guide.
Bail apps: just deal with the objections raised by the crown and maybe suggest a condition or two (curfew, reporting requirement, surety etc). Don't be tempted to start rehearsing the evidence or telling the court 'my client has a prima facie right to bail'

Plea in mit: If you have a psr and you agree with it, start by saying you seek to persuade them to agree with the psr...then...circumstances of offence*....circumstances of offender*...acknowledge seriousness (if relevant) and conclude by coming back to recommendation of the psr.

*Remember, choose the RELEVANT INFORMATION. Don't throw it all in (like a desperate LLb undergrad - chucking case law at an essay question, hoping something will stick. Less is more!)

It follows therefore, that I too would allow this appeal. Conviction quashed. Appellant awarded pupillage at dream set.

(guess who is having a slow wednesday...)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bar-hunter
At the risk of sounding like a tired old appellate judge...

I have had the benefit of reading the judgment of my noble and learned friend, Lord/Lady Feet of TSR, with whom I agree. I would though add a few remarks of my own.

It follows therefore, that I too would allow this appeal. Conviction quashed. Appellant awarded pupillage at dream set.

(guess who is having a slow wednesday...)

Lady Feet (think I might have to start using that name more widely...) is thankful to her noble and learned friend Lord/Lady Bar-hunter for their helpful and pertinent additions :wink:
Reply 3131
TGC are inviting for 2nd round now.

Original post by FurryFeet
Lady Feet (think I might have to start using that name more widely...) is thankful to her noble and learned friend Lord/Lady Bar-hunter for their helpful and pertinent additions :wink:

Thanks very much to both, this is EXTREMELY helpful advice that has really helped to put my mind at rest about what I'm being asked to do and what will impress.
Temple Garden 2nd round invites are out by e-mail.
Still no rejection from 5SAH
Nothing from High Pavement after references & grades
Nothing from Broadway House
Nothing from 15NBS
Nothing from 30 Park Place

just a waiting game
Original post by Pupilmaster
Blimey - Relax. I was good enough to ensure that the process is done more quickly than had been envisaged. If you think this is 'disrespectful' you wait until you have a 25 year old paralegal from Hull moaning at you for not winning the un-winnable, and then not paying you for two years. You wait until your pupil supervisor takes you to task for some failing or other, the clerks are on your back, and you have an enormous tax bill to repay.

Temperament is one of the four principal criteria we look for. A bit of confidence, swagger, and above all a sense of humour go a long way!

Can I ask what the other three are? (In the hope that I have that one covered).
Has anyone heard from St Ives about second round interviews, by any chance?
Reply 3137
Does anyone know when Temple Court Chambers hold their interviews?

I contacted the clerk and she wasn't able to tell me. I'm meant to be out of the country during early September so I don't know whether to risk booking my flight!
Reply 3138
Original post by GreenMatt
Has anyone heard from St Ives about second round interviews, by any chance?

I haven't...
Original post by Luckypupil
Are you actually looking for advice or fishing for praise?? If the former, ask a specific question and you'll get some constructive advice. If the latter, I'm sure a career at the Bar will be all the validation you need my boy :smile:

Ouch. And apologies if I appeared gittish or seemed to be fishing for anything other than support and advice. Like many others, I am having a tough time working out a sensible route through all of this. Not sure I had a coherent question at the time.

Quick Reply

Latest