The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theotherwinnie
Hi,

Is anyone still waiting to receive confirmations for their submissions on OLPAS? I sent 3 applications between 10 and 11 and none have been confirmed yet by email or on the system - so it's been 2 hours for one of them. (the ones sent before 10 all were confirmed).

Should I take that to mean "pfft, jog on, sunshine?" or is everyone on their lunchbreak?

Prior experience/madcap theories/snide comments about how unorganised people don't deserve pupillage - all welcome.

Don't read too much into this. The system entirely depends on the relevant chambers religiously updating and acknowledging applications and application status. The actual input by chambers is mixed across the board. Out of my 12 slots last year, I didn't get any confirmation from two until the last week of July. 1 of those was an interview, the other a rejection. Some never updated or acknowledged at all in the previous year. The best thing to do now is to concentrate on NON-OLPAS apps. There's nothing you can do about your OLPAS submissions, and it's unlikely there'll be any substantial movement by chambers until the end of May.
Original post by Kessler`
I can accept not wanting to relocate, but the benefits of interview practice alone must surely outweigh the "danger" of having to relocate. Believe me, that practice makes a massive difference when you get to a chambers you really want.

It's a bit too late for OLPAS now, but I urge anyone in a similar position to maximise their opportunity by making as many apps as possible.

I didn't apply to all twelve because even though the interview experience would be welcome (if I got interviews that is)...on the off chance I happened to get an offer at a set that is not commutable from where I need to be, I think I would find it very, very difficult not to accept it (and yet accepting it would be impossible)...so from that logic, it wasn't work the prospect of heartache!
Original post by Wildman
At the time I submitted my final app, there were actually around 5,000 fewer than at exactly the same point last year.

I got mine in about a day earlier than last year and they were 10,000 down on my application numbers from last year. That seems an awful lot of applciations to be done in one day!
Original post by Wildman
There are definitely fewer OLPAS applications this year. Perhaps that is because there are fewer OLPAS pupillages - a couple of sets I noticed are offering 1 rather than 2, or 2 rather than 3 compared to last year. Some notable sets aren't offering pupillages at all.

Do you have any idea what the figures were towards the end? I doubt that less advertised pupillages would put people off applying though?
Don't read too much into this. The system entirely depends on the relevant chambers religiously updating and acknowledging applications and application status. The actual input by chambers is mixed across the board. Out of my 12 slots last year, I didn't get any confirmation from two until the last week of July. 1 of those was an interview, the other a rejection. Some never updated or acknowledged at all in the previous year. The best thing to do now is to concentrate on NON-OLPAS apps. There's nothing you can do about your OLPAS submissions, and it's unlikely there'll be any substantial movement by chambers until the end of May.

Thanks very much, that was helpful - the last one just got back to me so you were quite right.
Original post by Satis
Managed to send it?

Sorry, didn't see this - I sent it but clicked 'submit' on the pdf and nothing happened so I just risked it and sent it via my e-mail too so not sure if they've got mine twice...
Did you work it out in the end?
Reply 486
Original post by Lawrasawrus
Do you have any idea what the figures were towards the end? I doubt that less advertised pupillages would put people off applying though?

Easily over 25k...

Anyone waiting on Tanfield may want to be aware that the date for rejection by silence has moved back a week to the 4th of May:

http://www.tanfieldchambers.co.uk/Asp/uploadedFiles/File/Timetable_for_applications_received_in_2012.pdf
Original post by Shearn
Easily over 25k...

A 10:30 submission. Living on the wild side!
Reply 489
Original post by InnerTemple
A 10:30 submission. Living on the wild side!

:biggrin: It's not mine, I was done several days before the deadline... or would have been if Dean's Court hadn't (allegedly) thought "Oh, hang on, we actually have too many pupils, let's withdraw less than 24 hours from the deadline."

Apparently they've had tonnes of complaints and lots of people saying they won't be applying there next year.
Reply 490
Original post by Shearn

Apparently they've had tonnes of complaints and lots of people saying they won't be applying there next year.

They won't be worried about this at all, they'll still get hundreds of applications next year.

As a general rule, at the well-established London sets there will be 75-100 applications for each Pupillage. The set I eventually accepted pupillage at said they had nearly 500 applications for 3 pupillages. With those kind of numbers, good luck plays a HUGE role, so good luck everyone!
Reply 491
Just to let people know, 3 Paper Buildings (Winchester) rejections are out via email this morning (11am).

Best of luck to those who have received interview invites.
Some light relief from Legal Cheek -

http://www.legalcheek.com/2012/04/deadline-disbelief-as-pupillage-portal-doesnt-go-down/

In terms of interview preparation, here's the advice one barrister who sits on the pupillage committee gave me about what tenants want in a pupil: 'Be good company. Be interested. Don't be a t**t'. Words to live by...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 493
Original post by tnedutS waL
Sorry, didn't see this - I sent it but clicked 'submit' on the pdf and nothing happened so I just risked it and sent it via my e-mail too so not sure if they've got mine twice...
Did you work it out in the end?

Hey, yes it did, thanks :smile: Or I think it did. I sent it to a friend (at silly o'clock in the morning) and he said it seemed to be working for him even though Mail was not happy with it from my end. So just risked it. I'm sure it'll be fiiiine.
Reply 494
May I ask what influenced your decision not to apply? What stage of your education are you at? My own view is that, once you are eligible to do so, it is always a good idea to make the OLPAS run - whether for testing the water or even getting the experience!

Sorry for the late reply. In honesty I made the decision as a result of the effort required to fill in the form vs the relative chance of getting pupillage. I don't think I am yet a good enough candidate to justify the expense of time to fill in the form. Also, I have a full time job at the moment and it would have been a nightmare trying to commit enough time to make my application halfway decent. Also I'm not entirely sure which area of law I want to do yet, let alone which chambers to apply to, which also presents an issue! I'm happy to keep building up my CV and give it a proper bash next year, when I will know more, have more on my CV and, hopefully, present as a stronger candidate.
After the BVC finished for me, I devoted my time to pupillage apps and looking for work. I didn't get a long-term job until November of the same year, and missed out on pupillage to boot.
I spent the following year working in a very nice job, obtaining pupillage in August. Fortunately, I'm still in the job and was offered the choice of leaving when I wanted. I'll be leaving work in July, simply because I haven't had a holiday since, erm, 2005! I'll be using the time between then and starting pupillage to travel Europe on my own, following a cultural trail from Ancient/Renaissance Italy, Medieval Spain, Reformationist Germany and finishing in Baroque France.

I'm doing it because I know it's going to be a long time before I get the chance to do something like this again :wink:

Sounds brilliant, congrats, where will your pupillage be? How many years did you apply for? Do you think there's a magic formula to get a pupillage or just hard work and luck?
Original post by TakeTwo
I have a serious case of nodding head syndrome having stayed up way past my bed time finishing non-olpas apps. There seem to be very few of us here this year.... surprising considering there were well over 12,000 apps on portal.

I, in the days before OLPAS panic set in, compiled a schedule of when pure crime sets notified of first rounds/when the first rounds were/when they notified of second rounds last year. I am barely computer literate and so can't post it but if anyone wants me to send it to them then let me know.

It would be fantastic if you could send me it - would you need my e-mail or could you PM it? :smile:
Reply 497
Original post by TakeTwo
I have a serious case of nodding head syndrome having stayed up way past my bed time finishing non-olpas apps. There seem to be very few of us here this year.... surprising considering there were well over 12,000 apps on portal.

I, in the days before OLPAS panic set in, compiled a schedule of when pure crime sets notified of first rounds/when the first rounds were/when they notified of second rounds last year. I am barely computer literate and so can't post it but if anyone wants me to send it to them then let me know.

Same here; it would be really useful. Ive just applied to 12 straight crime sets so am anxious to know when I will start to hear back!
I've been lurking here for a while so I though I'd post!
I've applied to a couple of straight criminal sets but mostly mixed common law sets.
I just want to hear! I'm not holding out much as I'm only graduating uni in July and I know there will be a lot of people in much better positions than me...... but hey I've not lost anything by applying!

Good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 499
All those who asked for the pure crime interview notification spreadsheet - I can't post it here, so it has just gone up on The Pupillage Pages homepage. Please let me know if there are any missing that you can fill in.

Quick Reply

Latest