The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Wildman et al are spot on.

I'd can't add much, but I would just say this: Listen.

Nothing worse then coming out of court and having your barrister say: "So what did you think about Mr Opposing Counsel's response to my second submission?" When the fact is that you nodded off 5 minutes after sitting down.
Reply 601
Dear all,

You have all been extremely useful. I will go in paying a lot of attention to all your kind advice. The problem with me is sometimes I know too much and it is a case of tempering my ardour. I will be myself and I shall report back in due course and relay the experience as I see this board as an information sharing board in helping all get on without breaking any rules or any confidentiality. I wish you all well.

Good night
Reply 602
Guildford chambers interviews out
they're a great set, I just wish I was interested in family! Good luck, and congrats, if you're through to the first round.
Original post by Little_Amy
Letter from 18SJS this morning! Assessment day is the same as the provisional date (26th May).

Congratulations!

Has anyone received a rejection letter from 18 SJS? I've not received anything either way and I'm starting to assume that the impending assessment day means that acceptance letters were sent out first and I should receive my "no thank you" letter next week/never.
Original post by WigAndGown
Congratulations!

Has anyone received a rejection letter from 18 SJS? I've not received anything either way and I'm starting to assume that the impending assessment day means that acceptance letters were sent out first and I should receive my "no thank you" letter next week/never.

I'm thinking this is the case too as I know of a few people with invite letters. Not heard anyone get a rejection letter yet though.
Reply 606
Original post by Ready123
Guildford chambers interviews out

How did you hear? Congratulations :-)
Hi guys, I've been receiving a lot of positive private message about my blog - so thanks so much for that. To answer a few 'frequently asked questions':

1. There are stil 5 or 6 posts from the period late-March to early-May that need to go up to fill in the gaps, they'll be up in the coming days. Recently I have uploaded two posts on my application form last year, and my interviews last year which I hope might be interesting, do take a look at them.

2. I'd prefer to stay anonymous for now, but people who know me have found it very easy to identify me. Even one of my tutors at BPP worked it out. Well done him.

3. It is possible to subscribe to the blog via an RSS reader like google reader, or via email. If you go onto the main blog website, you'll see a 'subscribe by email' box on the right hand side, if you put in your email you get an automated message every time I write something new. Which is nice. I do NOT have access to this email list, it's completely automated by google, so I'd like to think there are no data protection issues, etc.

Anyhow, thanks for all of the very kind words so far, I hope to keep you interested in the coming months.
With regards to handwritten covering letters accompanying a CV, would people agree that they should remain limited to one side of unlined a4 paper - even though an individual's handwriting may be slightly larger than .11 font causing them to go onto a second page?

Thanks!
Original post by Wildman
Only ever done one of these. My typed covering letter is always on one page, but the one handwritten one that I did basically followed the same format but was 2.5 pages. It was fine - the focus was on making it clear and legible rather than cramming it onto one side - and I got an interview. Didn't get any further than first round though, so read into that what you will.

Thanks Wildman - I will type it out first and then see if I can neatly fit it onto one page.

Cheers.
Last shameless plug for a while, I promise, the final part of my posts about last year is now up on the blog and can be found here

EDIT: I've now turned on anonymous and unregistered comments so you can get involved without registering.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 611
Hello,

I haven't applied there, but Henderson Chambers have put an official post re interviews on The Pupillage Pages website.
Reply 612
Also, CPS 1st round online test invitations are out by email.
do we know how many people go into this stage? As it's online I assume it's still thousands.
Reply 614
And what an annoying test it is. :frown:
Reply 615
I completed a practice one on the website they recommended, and after 30 questions it doesnt even give you any feedback as to whether you got them right or not!!
Original post by littlewig
I completed a practice one on the website they recommended, and after 30 questions it doesnt even give you any feedback as to whether you got them right or not!!

I found this as well. The questions where you have to rank your responses from 1-5 were particularly mindless.
Reply 617
Original post by mwiko
And what an annoying test it is. :frown:

And considering the fact that this is only the first out of 3....
hi there, has anyone heard back from any criminal sets of chambers? charter chambers, pump court chambers, 23 essex st, 7 bedford row?.. or does anyone know when we might be hearing from them? I'm guessing that the lack of contact isn't a good sign!
Personally, I feel that undertaking a pupillage in the CPS is a dangerous move for a wannabe future practitioner. There's a real chance that you could lose your perspective, which is one of the elements that make the Bar so strong. To be able to prosecute successfully, objectively and efficiently surely one needs to have a deep understanding of how the defence operates? Vice versa, if you have a pure defence practice, it's entirely possible that you could lose objectivity and foresight in the long run. FWIW, I wish that criminal practitioners were required to prosecute and defend as much as possible!

Quick Reply

Latest