Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini Pupil)
    Zara, first class trolling, really, top notch.
    I just gave you my opinion. That's what we are (or will be) paid for!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to go down the 'that's the way the career works' line, let me remind you of the Bar Code of Conduct:

701. A barrister:

(a) must in all his professional activities be courteous

Good luck with your career.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to go down the 'that's the way the career works' line, let me remind you of the Bar Code of Conduct:

701. A barrister:

(a) must in all his professional activities be courteous

Good luck with your career.
    According to Code of Conduct you must also not waste the court's time
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know what point you're making, and I feel pathetically immature even indulging you with responses.

Nonetheless, let me restate my point one last time: Yes, a few Sets may respond in May, but don't get your hopes up about receiving too many responses any time soon, as that's just not the way the timetable has operated historically. It was just friendly advice from someone who say through this last year and wasted an unnecessary amount of time worrying. Your responses have been needlessly hostile, and I would only seek to remind you that the Bar is a notoriously small profession; friends are in short supply.

Now, let's drop this inane rambling and go back to acting like humans, eh?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Mini Pupil;37576035]

Nonetheless, let me restate my point one last time: Yes, a few Sets may respond in May, but don't get your hopes up about receiving too many responses any time soon, as that's just not the way the timetable has operated historically. It was just friendly advice from someone who say through this last year and wasted an unnecessary amount of time worrying. Your responses have been needlessly hostile, and I would only seek to remind you that the Bar is a notoriously small profession; friends are in short supply.

QUOTE]

This is how you should ve said in the first place. and not advising us not to sweat etc. Hope you got my point now too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlewig)
    Anyone received a rejection email from Zenith?!
    Friend of mine has applied there, I've just asked them on your behalf and they've said they're yet to receive anything.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildman)
    Guys, this is an argument over literally nothing.
    I know. I was just at a loss to understand Zara's tone.

Luckily we've put it behind us now and we're bezzers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    First Round Interviews at Monckton are out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Congrats
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Friend of mine has applied there, I've just asked them on your behalf and they've said they're yet to receive anything.
    I had an invite for Zenith they are interviewing 24 people on Sat the 26th May. People who were invited had to call and book a time, I guess they may be waiting until all the interview slots are filled before they reject?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most probably yes.
    Ah well..
    I just noticed a glaringly obvious mistake on my application anyway. Doh.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kessler`)
    I might be able to clarify a little on this. "Decision made" does not mean very much at all. Someone from a chambers last year told us that could happen whenever chambers performed an "action", such as printing off the forms or even acknowledging to the system that they had recieved the forms. Sometimes, and only sometimes, it did precede an email. However, for the vast majority of cases, your status would be updated as "invited to first interview" or "rejected" as soon as chambers sent out the appropriate emails through the system. You couldn't rely on "decision made" as an early indicator, therefore, of either rejection or interview.

The important thing to remember at this stage, people, is that you are still in the early days. When I look back at my diaries for the preceding two years, chambers didn't really start applying themselves en masse to sifting/inviting people until June. You will recieve an email/telephone call to interview, so don't torment yourself by f5'ing the Portal all day
    I agree broadly, but I have to add a caveat since having been given the same advice myself, I actively ignored it (and doubtless Kessler too). Perhaps more pragmatic advice is to acknowledge that nothing will stop you checking the portal or venting frustration on here but simply to be aware, as Kessler says, that its going to take time. Odd though it feels to me, I now have friends who I went to University/ did the Bar with, who as junior tenants, are now getting involved in their own sets with the applications. From what they tell me, the applications are in - but the process hasn't even begun in earnest yet.

This is the point they all repeatedly and independently make. Barristers are not expert recruiters or HR staff. They are managing their own caseload(s) under time and pressure constraints that most us don't fully understand...because we aren't practicing yet. Pupillage applications, though important, take priority over...(and here's the big bit)....pretty much nothing or just literally nothing. Logically speaking, as they approach the kind of time where they want to be holding interviews (in my experience early June onwards) the work they do on pupillage applications, both in respect of shortlisting and conducting the interviews, gains momentum and focus. Chambers also know from experience that they can afford, for the most part, to summon candidates for interview at short notice and be obliged.

Some chambers are faster than others. Some, for example, give the first sift to an outside recruitment agency who use the given chambers' criteria which also takes time. My point - it takes time. Its difficult but patience is paramount. Keep your sanity because if you don't, by the time you get those all important interviews you will seem jaded and it can seriously appear to erode your natural enthusiasm. I know this because I was told myself during interview feedback.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Does anyone know what the first round interview at Monckton was like last year? They say general chat about CV, but Brick court said that too and they were lying!

Thanks in advance!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They like to make Crim Barristers sweat it out, the vast majority in that list seemed to say end of June early July before any news would be due.

I expect most of the other criminal sets are the same.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard from Farringdon Chambers? Anyone know what their first round interviews are like? Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamPupil)
    Has anyone heard from Farringdon Chambers? Anyone know what their first round interviews are like? Thanks.
    Dreampupil - Post from Zara82 two days ago "Phoned Farringdon law chambers just now and asked for an update. The clerk said that they are currently considering applications and will get back to us very soon."
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delboyandrodders)
    Dreampupil - Post from Zara82 two days ago "Phoned Farringdon law chambers just now and asked for an update. The clerk said that they are currently considering applications and will get back to us very soon."
    Farringdon chambers have sent out invites.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah, so we are finally out of our misery! By post or email? today?
    A couple of days ago I think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    were you invited?
    Didnt apply. No it's my friend who has an interview there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: February 1, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.