The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by Chilbaldi
I spoke to a barrister at Farringdon yesterday and they are still in the process of shortlisting.

Either that poster above is telling porky pies or their friend is a Walter Mitty character who is trying to boost his rep by saying he has an interview.

I didn't apply there by the way.

I agree as I heard something similar from this chambers too. Cant imagine the clerks tell us they shortlisting and someone else secretly receiving invitations for interviews...
This thread is fantastic and often the source of good information, an occasionally some light relief. However it can be subject to abuse and the tool of those spreading, whether deliberately or not, misinformation.

While checking this thread is good, I think that the best thing to do at this time is to find something to keep yourself occupied (of course, keeping your phone with you at all times.) No point getting yourself worked up, is there now?
I spoke to a barrister at Farringdon yesterday and they are still in the process of shortlisting.

Either that poster above is telling porky pies or their friend is a Walter Mitty character who is trying to boost his rep by saying he has an interview.

Ok, rather than being thought of as a porky pie teller, we'll go with my friend being a Walter Mitty character who is trying to boost his rep by saying he has an interview:nutcase:

It's funnier and, to me, more polite.
Seriously, if there is one thing I've got from this process, it's that chambers all do things differently.

It may well be the case that they are staggering interviews, and are indeed still shortlisting. It happens.

Heaven forbid what this thread will be like the end of July.

Time will tell I suppose.
Reply 704
For anyone that is interested The Pupillage Portal has been updated and you can now change your "responsibility, awards and scholarships' section of your application.

Previously this season this was not possible, but I expect a lot of people besides me emailed them about it.

Apparently it also places a notice on your application that it has been updated.
Original post by Konran
For anyone that is interested The Pupillage Portal has been updated and you can now change your "responsibility, awards and scholarships' section of your application.

Previously this season this was not possible, but I expect a lot of people besides me emailed them about it.

Apparently it also places a notice on your application that it has been updated.

I noticed this. I do wonder how often chambers will check the system though - or what the mechanism is for this.

I was always of the belief that when chambers get the applications through, they are printed off and dealt with. I can't imagine chambers doing this, and then checking the computer for any updates which may affect their decision (which may have already been made...)
Reply 706
Original post by InnerTemple
I noticed this. I do wonder how often chambers will check the system though - or what the mechanism is for this.

I was always of the belief that when chambers get the applications through, they are printed off and dealt with. I can't imagine chambers doing this, and then checking the computer for any updates which may affect their decision (which may have already been made...)

I'm sure I saw a video of a presentation about the portal at one of the Inns a few years ago, where one of the presenters was saying that after first round interviews you could update this section. They acknowledged that around this time a lot of people would be getting Inn scholarships and it would be fair to allow them to reflect this on the portal.

It makes sense when you have reduced your pool to 30-40 candidates but with places routinely getting 200+ applicants you're dead right that they're not going to reprint / cross-check them all again.

I guess on a practical level the best advice is just to update it if you can and hope for the best!

Farringdon are interviewing. I have an invite.
Reply 708
Does anyone know whether the CPS SJT test only consists of Personality questions (as previously discussed in this forum) or also CPS related questions? Thx.
Original post by Wildman
well done. by post or email?

Thanks. It was by email.
Ah! I can stop calling my friend Walter now. He hated it. :rolleyes:

Just as I wasnt keen on being called a liar. Honourable members, some of us are.

Congrats DreamPupil.

Wildman - plenty of other opportunities out there. :smile:
Did anyone get invited to the St Philips selection evening last year or is it a new thing for this year? Just wondering what is involved.
Original post by Lawrasawrus
Did anyone get invited to the St Philips selection evening last year or is it a new thing for this year? Just wondering what is involved.

They didn't have one last year. I imagine they want to see how you interact with people (networking [ugh, hate that word] etc). But I also think they want people to come and see Chambers which are pretty impressive looking & give an overview of themselves as a modern set. They're the sort of Chambers that wants to sell itself to candidates just as much as they want candidates to come in and try and sell themselves to Chambers.
********* ATTENTION WOULD BE CRIMINAL PUPILS *********

I'd make sure to read the article below and follow the story closely.

This seems like pretty juicy interview question material. In any event, even if its not - the old time classic question of 'how can the Criminal Bar survive?' might give you a window to talk about what the Criminal Bar is now considering. Be very careful though and KNOW YOUR SETS. Some sets will think this is a great idea, others will think it utterly disgraceful...depending on their political leanings and their support of affirmative action (or lack thereof). Indeed, its likely to split opinions even within chambers and across a pupillage panel. Whatever the case maybe, you need to have an informed opinion and be able to make a reasonable and cogent argument either way.

This is a hypothetical from me, based on anecdotal experience, I believe they might use this topic in the following way........."so Mr/Miss X, doubtless you've read that the Criminal Bar is considering strike action...in one word, yes or no tell us whether you think the Criminal Bar should strike? (Pause while you answer either way)....Ok Mr/ Miss X - in the 3 minutes that follow you will argue the OPPOSITE of your answer. Your time starts now."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2012/may/18/barristers-strike-legal-aid-fees
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 714
The email inviting people to do the SJT states you cannot discuss the questions with anyone apart from the assessment provider otherwise you could be kicked out of the process. So unfortunately you'll have to go in blind (like everyone else) and hope for the best!

Original post by zara82
Does anyone know whether the CPS SJT test only consists of Personality questions (as previously discussed in this forum) or also CPS related questions? Thx.
Original post by littlewig
The email inviting people to do the SJT states you cannot discuss the questions with anyone apart from the assessment provider otherwise you could be kicked out of the process. So unfortunately you'll have to go in blind (like everyone else) and hope for the best!

I'm happy to say that it's entirely personality-based *******s and a completely useless way of selecting barristers.
Reply 716
Farringdon Chambers invite out by email for interview on 22nd May.
Reply 717
Original post by Mini Pupil
I'm happy to say that it's entirely personality-based *******s and a completely useless way of selecting barristers.

Agree:smile:
Reply 718
Original post by Wildman
Just done that CPS test - what a load of unmitigated bull****. CPS - you should be utterly ashamed of yourselves for indulging in that HR guff. I note that one of your main objectives is to be efficient and ensure costs are kept to a minimum; I imagine if you made HR redundant you would save an absolute ****load.

I probably wont get a job there on reflection - I'm far too capable of individual thought.

It is the same through-out the Ministry of Justice, utterly stupid questions, with no real defining feature between any of them.

I work for the MoJ currently, although I did not gain my position through their recruitment processes, and I have to say, inside the MoJ it is exactly the same, millions being cut from the budget and yet it is a constant merry-go-round of unrelenting management speak bullsh*t that achieves nothing but an exceptional level of wasted time through-out every single department.

I would imagine that they could save literally thousands of man hours in just the building I work in, that has a total of about 25 staff, just by sacking whatever numpty is thinking up and implementing this crap.
Reply 719
Oriel Chambers interviews 9th June via post :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending