The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dustbinbeaver
Yes thanks, that's interesting to know Jessica. As my application was not in early by any definition of the word, I'll be patient in waiting for confirmation that it was received.

I interviewed to second round at 15 NBS last year. I did not receive confirmation of my app, though it too was on the late side. I didn't hear anything at all from them until 7 July when I was called for interview.

Amusingly, I received an email shortly after that call rejecting my application. Eyebrows were raised...until an apologetic Katie Cameron sorted it all out. She really is lovely, by the way - if you are worried about whether they got your app/you made the deadline, I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you checked. Otherwise, just hold fast :wink:
Reply 1241
Original post by Kessler`
Very little I can add to the solid advice from charly533. Try to remember that the people on the other side of the table are just that. People like you. Most interviewers want you to do well - they will be encouraging and supportive. If some of them are being aggressive, they are usually trying to push you and see how you think on your feet. It's not because they want to make you look small. If they are genuinely being horrible then smile, relax and treat the interview as a good experience. They haven't sold themselves to you- who would want to spend the first years of their career with a set that takes pleasure in belittling people?!

Personally speaking, I always took 5 minutes before an interview to remind myself of all my achievements. I would detail - in my mind - every single accomplishment of mine, from starting secondary school to that day. I would tell myself that I stood out for x, y and z. I would tell myself that whoever took me under their wing was getting a very lucky deal. It gave me that boost of quiet self-confidence which is so useful in the interview room. It may sound big-headed, but I often think we naturally undervalue ourselves during the pupillage process. As a poster on these forums pointed out the other day, it is incredible to think of the competition, the level of ability and achievement and the hard work that goes into what is, essentially, selection for one of the world's most prestigious apprenticeships. If you are invited to interview, then you have the same potential as the rest of 'em. Don't forget it.

Great advice! Thank you.
Kessler also gives excellent advice. There are many who never even get an interview, so remind yourself that they must have seen something in you to invite you to interview in the first place. They wouldn't just waste an interview slot on someone who they thought had no chance of securing pupillage with them.
Original post by Kessler`
Chin up. Could be staggered, after all.

I love your name, incidentally.

Thanks for the encouraging words Kessler. This is my first year of applying for pupillage, but I read last year's student room thread recently and I found it very helpful, so thanks for your contributions there also.

As I insinuated in an earlier post, I'm trying to keep my expectations low so as to avoid being too disappointed when I receive rejections. That might sound pessimistic, but I prefer to think of it as being realistic. I've already written my list of where I'm applying next year, which some might even view as twisted optimism...

Just out of interest - did anyone here go from zero interviews in one year to pupillage in another later year? I've taken the view that no interviews this year means serious reconsideration of my career and I want to make sure I'm not being unduly negative.

Re the name: I've been working with children this year and I picked it up from something they're into. I can't take any credit for it. In fact, I think there's going to be a legal battle about it at some point soon, so I'll probably be off down the Thames to the Tower in my own mini flotilla soon...
Original post by Cymru1985
Has anyone heard from any of the following?

Portal
Angel Chambers, Swansea
Apex Chambers, Cardiff
Broadway House Chambers, Bradford
1 High Pavement Chambers, Nottingham
Lincoln House Chambers, Manchester

Non-Portal
30 Park Place, Cardiff

Cheers

I have applied to Angel, Apex and 30 pp and am yet to hear anything.

Apparently, according to older forums, Angel contact very late, I am unaware when Apex usually contact individuals, and 30pp according to another member of TSR contacted individuals in July due to a committee issue.

Hope this helps.
Reply 1245
So is anyone here planning on applying to the GLS when it opens next month? It seems a shorter process than the CPS application...
Just out of interest - did anyone here go from zero interviews in one year to pupillage in another later year? I've taken the view that no interviews this year means serious reconsideration of my career ( my emphasis) and I want to make sure I'm not being unduly negative.

...This is a very difficult position. I know several people that didnt get any interviews one year and got pupillage later on in the same year with non olpas sets. There are people that also have had the experience you outline. My personal view is that whilst these cases do happen, they aren't something you should use as a yard stick. It follows then that you have to consider what your situation is with interviews. Egs. how many are you getting, how many are you converting to second rounds, are you getting reserve offers etc.

Here's the difficult bit.

Its got to be a matter for the indiviudal. I'd say you need to be thinking about these kinds of questions:

How commited are you to the Bar (is it the only choice for you)?

How sustainable is your current life style? Can you justify (in your own mind) spending a year after you've had no interviews at all, box ticking your CV and often doing unpaid work SIMPLY to stand a 'better' chance next year?

How realistic is your application (be objective, seek advice from others) or how realistic can it become?

My view is that if you are not getting any interviews at all in your first year its probably indicative of; (1) Gaps in your CV, (2) Issues with your answers to the questions/ covering letter. Of course, there is a third possibilty which is that your application simply lacks the requisite merit.

If it had been me, with no interviews after year one, I think I would have plugged away for one more year having worked on my CV. Knowing when enough is enough though...as I say....thats a matter for you.

Bare in mind also that you can try and find a related job (para legal, LPC, Probation etc) that serves the purpose of strengthening your CV, pays the bills and also gives you a platform to move forward if you do eventually conclude that the Bar isn't for you.

To conclude this muse, I would say - no interviews at all is certainly cause to seriously consider your career (note the omission of the 're').
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mmmbop
So is anyone here planning on applying to the GLS when it opens next month? It seems a shorter process than the CPS application...

I am thinking of doing so, the only worry for me is that there is less advocacy involved in their work compared with, for example, the CPS, but there are too many positions on offer for this to deter me from submitting a application!
Original post by Bar-hunter
Just out of interest - did anyone here go from zero interviews in one year to pupillage in another later year? I've taken the view that no interviews this year means serious reconsideration of my career ( my emphasis) and I want to make sure I'm not being unduly negative.

...This is a very difficult position. I know several people that didnt get any interviews one year and got pupillage later on in the same year with non olpas sets. There are people that also have had the experience you outline. My personal view is that whilst these cases do happen, they aren't something you should use as a yard stick. It follows then that you have to consider what your situation is with interviews. Egs. how many are you getting, how many are you converting to second rounds, are you getting reserve offers etc.

Here's the difficult bit.

Its got to be a matter for the indiviudal. I'd say you need to be thinking about these kinds of questions:

How commited are you to the Bar (is it the only choice for you)?

How sustainable is your current life style? Can you justify (in your own mind) spending a year after you've had no interviews at all, box ticking your CV and often doing unpaid work SIMPLY to stand a 'better' chance next year?

How realistic is your application (be objective, seek advice from others) or how realistic can it become?

My view is that if you are not getting any interviews at all in your first year its probably indicative of; (1) Gaps in your CV, (2) Issues with your answers to the questions/ covering letter. Of course, there is a third possibilty which is that your application simply lacks the requisite merit.

If it had been me, with no interviews after year one, I think I would have plugged away for one more year having worked on my CV. Knowing when enough is enough though...as I say....thats a matter for you.

Bare in mind also that you can try and find a related job (para legal, LPC, Probation etc) that serves the purpose of strengthening your CV, pays the bills and also gives you a platform to move forward if you do eventually conclude that the Bar isn't for you.

To conclude this muse, I would say - no interviews at all is certainly cause to seriously consider your career (note the omission of the 're').

Thanks Bar-hunter. As I said before, I'm already thinking about next year's applications so this will all be useful advice to bear in mind.
Original post by dustbinbeaver
Thanks Bar-hunter. As I said before, I'm already thinking about next year's applications so this will all be useful advice to bear in mind.

Kessler's advice is bang on as usual! I'd add that it's worth talking to a pupillage advisor at your provider or someone at your Inn if possible, as they can be very helpful at pointing out problems in your CV or application and telling you how to fix them (or whether you're shooting the moon with the sets to which you've been applying).

My experience could be useful - I applied to 7 sets in the 2011 January round and had 5 first round and 2 second round interviews, and was a reserve candidate at my first choice. I then applied to 18 sets in the summer and got no interviews at all - pit of despair. Applied in January again this year and got pupillage at the set where I'd been the reserve last year.
Original post by charly533
As long as the information wasn't available on the Chamber's website, I almost always asked about pupil retention rates.

Having been an enthusiastic follower of this thread for a while, I thought I'd give my two cents on this particular question. In my experience, sometimes it's a better idea not to ask anything at the end - particularly if you have demonstrated during the interview that you are aware of Chambers' profile and, more importantly, have the aptitude to be a successful barrister in the future. The suggestion with the pupil retention rates is a good one, methinks.
Original post by wantobeathebar
I am thinking of doing so, the only worry for me is that there is less advocacy involved in their work compared with, for example, the CPS, but there are too many positions on offer for this to deter me from submitting a application!

Ditto! A pupillage is a pupillage!
Original post by Mmmbop

I have a friend who did pupillage with the GLS. I'm not sure what he thought about the lack of advocacy compared with the CPS, but he did enjoy the opportunity to do part of the pupillage seconded to a very good quality chambers, which he himself admitted he would have had no chance getting into directly for pupillage.
Original post by olpasdisliker
I have a friend who did pupillage with the GLS. I'm not sure what he thought about the lack of advocacy compared with the CPS, but he did enjoy the opportunity to do part of the pupillage seconded to a very good quality chambers, which he himself admitted he would have had no chance getting into directly for pupillage.

Oh that's good to know, thank you. Do you know what experience/qualifications your friend has? Obviously not specifically, but was he an outstanding candidate in your opinion? I'm just wondering what standard of applicant they look for. Thanks in advance! :wink:
Reply 1254
Talking of the CPS, I wish all those who are to hear their VRT results on Thursday all the best.
I myself do not have any hope at all as as I said previously, I completely ran out of time in the end:frown:
Original post by zara82
Talking of the CPS, I wish all those who are to hear their VRT results on Thursday all the best.
I myself do not have any hope at all as as I said previously, I completely ran out of time in the end:frown:

I ran out of time for the last three questions too so don't panic. I imagine most people will have done...so good luck!
It surprises me to learn that people ran out of time - it was certainly tight, but nothing crazy. Good luck, though.
Has anyone had a first round interview at 42 Bedford Row? Any tips?!
Original post by Isherwood100
Kessler's advice is bang on as usual! I'd add that it's worth talking to a pupillage advisor at your provider or someone at your Inn if possible, as they can be very helpful at pointing out problems in your CV or application and telling you how to fix them (or whether you're shooting the moon with the sets to which you've been applying).

My experience could be useful - I applied to 7 sets in the 2011 January round and had 5 first round and 2 second round interviews, and was a reserve candidate at my first choice. I then applied to 18 sets in the summer and got no interviews at all - pit of despair. Applied in January again this year and got pupillage at the set where I'd been the reserve last year.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement Isherwood. My application was checked by careers advisers and barristers, but I still found mistakes in it afterwards so perhaps I should have given it to more people to look over. I think my three main problems are: poor answers to chambers-specific questions on my application, gaps in my CV and my choice of sets. Whilst it's a shame that I've made mistakes this year, hopefully those mistakes are remediable in the future. Many congratulations on your pupillage by the way.
Original post by Mr. Rugby09
I have applied to Angel, Apex and 30 pp and am yet to hear anything.

Apparently, according to older forums, Angel contact very late, I am unaware when Apex usually contact individuals, and 30pp according to another member of TSR contacted individuals in July due to a committee issue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the update.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending