The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Incidentally, this week's Silk has a takes a good sideswipe at mocking pupillage interviews.

Weep.
Reply 1261
Original post by Mani123
I agree, I secured no interviews in my third year at university and only a few last year when I was pre-BPTC, the average is certainly not 4-5 interviews. Saying that, I am non-Oxbridge (I did my LLB at Brunel) with little work-experience.

But, with a lot more experience and now being post-BPTC this year I have had 4 interview invites already (and no rejections).

I think that working as a Paralegal and volunteering in my field (crime) has really helped me. So don't be put off if you are pre-BPTC and don't secured any interviews. I am proof you can get interviews after a poor start!

When did you start off doing legal work and volunteering. I'm looking at doing some form of legal work in my first year when I start in september, but I don't know what the chances are that people actually accept first years. What was it like for you getting work and work experience.
Reply 1262
Original post by iamjeeoh
When did you start off doing legal work and volunteering. I'm looking at doing some form of legal work in my first year when I start in september, but I don't know what the chances are that people actually accept first years. What was it like for you getting work and work experience.

As I am sure you are already aware, getting pupillage is so competitive - so I think as you suggested it is a wise idea to start volunteering early. I started in my first year by volunteering at my local CAB. I then did mooting in my second and third year along with volunteering for a penal reform charity and FRU.

Someone please do correct me if I am wrong, but, I don't believe you could apply for pupillage in your first year of university on a practical level because generally pupillages start a full academic year after you apply for them. So for example, I applied in my third year of university (2010) for pupillages which started in 2012 thus allowing me the academic year 2010/2011 to complete the BPTC.

In terms of paid legal work I started work as a Paralegal only after completing my third at University (the same summer I graduated) and didn't find it particularly difficult I just sent some CVs and covering letters out to firms which had vacancies.

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1263
Original post by Satis
Incidentally, this week's Silk has a takes a good sideswipe at mocking pupillage interviews.

Weep.

If only you could have an interview and start a day later!
I'm noting much drama on TPP HYH forum. Can anyone CONFIRM any communications either way from Lamb Building?
Reply 1265
Hello everyone. For anyone who applied to Blackstone but hadn't done an assessed mini p beforehand- interviews for these have just gone out.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by dustbinbeaver
Thanks for the advice and encouragement Isherwood. My application was checked by careers advisers and barristers, but I still found mistakes in it afterwards so perhaps I should have given it to more people to look over. I think my three main problems are: poor answers to chambers-specific questions on my application, gaps in my CV and my choice of sets. Whilst it's a shame that I've made mistakes this year, hopefully those mistakes are remediable in the future. Many congratulations on your pupillage by the way.

There are services available offering training for pupillage interviews and general advice about your application. They are, in my experience, brutally honest about where you are good and what you lack.

I used these guys: http://www.judicialappointmentstraining.co.uk/pupillage-interviews.php it isn't cheap, £225 per hour (I just had one hour) but I found it incredibly useful. I was interviewed by a junior of some 11 years call from a top set in his field, who had sat on their pupillage committee for eight years. I had the training interview on a Thursday and I had two interviews that weekend. At one set I translated my first round to a second round and at the other set I got pupillage.
Hi all,

i've got a second rejection from fountain court, i soooo wanna die, im depressed, gutted, frustrated.

As for other 9, still under consideratn but for essex court and 11kbw it says application still under consideratn but also says decision made on the 24th, what is that meant to mean? i'm in tears at mo, im so damn of an idiot
Reply 1268
Original post by yellowhannah33
There are services available offering training for pupillage interviews and general advice about your application. They are, in my experience, brutally honest about where you are good and what you lack.

I used these guys: http://www.judicialappointmentstraining.co.uk/pupillage-interviews.php it isn't cheap, £225 per hour (I just had one hour) but I found it incredibly useful. I was interviewed by a junior of some 11 years call from a top set in his field, who had sat on their pupillage committee for eight years. I had the training interview on a Thursday and I had two interviews that weekend. At one set I translated my first round to a second round and at the other set I got pupillage.

A full review of the JAT service can be found on Simon Myerson QC's blog - http://pupillageandhowtogetit.wordpress.com/2010/09/07/outside-help/
Original post by MissBee88
Hi Third Time Lucky

I had an email directly from TGC administrators, but the portal has been subsequently updated now.

Thanks Miss Bee, they haven't notified the rejects yet! Congratulations on securing an interview and best of luck.
Original post by priscilla28
Hi all,

i've got a second rejection from fountain court, i soooo wanna die, im depressed, gutted, frustrated.

As for other 9, still under consideratn but for essex court and 11kbw it says application still under consideratn but also says decision made on the 24th, what is that meant to mean? i'm in tears at mo, im so damn of an idiot

Forgive me if this comes across as patronising - I really do not intend it. I also understand that there is no obligation to communicate via an internet message board as you would in real-life correspondence. However, I note that two of your failed apps are to top-drawer sets. They represent a type of chambers which is incredibly hot on academics and written presentation. Without knowing anything about your academic background, I wonder whether you might have been making mistakes in your written app. I would be happy to take a look for you, if you feel like PMing me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by priscilla28
Hi all,

I really wouldn't worry about two rejections just yet; it is still very early on in the game and, as your post states, you still have 9 left to hear from. Even the very best candidates will receive rejections for first round interviews from some Chambers; for the rest of us it's likely to be far more. I understand that it is an upsetting and demoralising process, but it's not worth crying over. Just keep your chin up and look forward to getting that first interview offer of the season.

If you get to the end of this year and haven't got any interviews then you may need to reassess your chances (see the posts above for a discussion about this), but right now what you are going through is completely normal; it certainly doesn't make you an idiot.

As for the meaning of "decision made", that really is anyone's guess. All it tells you is that Chambers has done something with your application. I have seen that message followed by rejections, interview offers and just complete silence for months; you really cannot tell what it means so the best thing is just to ignore it.
Reply 1272
@iamjeeoh you may be in luck if you're interested in crime....

Wainwright and Cummins have just updated their facebook status to the following:

Is there anyone available to complete a two week work experience placement in our criminal defence department: we have an unexpected vacancy.

Contact Cheryl Brandon 0207 7379339 or [email protected]
One Crown Office Row (Brighton) rejections out by e-mail.
Reply 1274
Queen's Square anyone? I haven't heard anything since the generic letter they sent out last week....

Also, I'm yet to hear a peep from Warwick House!
Anyone heard from Keating Chambers?
Has anyone heard anything from 1 Chancery Lane or Crown Office Chambers. There is nothing on TPP from last year for 1CL and there doesn't even seem to be a section for COC.

Thanks.
I've not heard anything from Keating, 1CL or COC yet (other than a generic email from Keating stating that the first round interviews will be on 23 June, and the second round on 10 July).
Original post by Clive Reader
I've not heard anything from Keating, 1CL or COC yet (other than a generic email from Keating stating that the first round interviews will be on 23 June, and the second round on 10 July).

Love the name :rofl: how's George? :biggrin:
Reply 1279
Original post by Cymru1985
Has anyone heard from any of the following?

Portal
Angel Chambers, Swansea
Apex Chambers, Cardiff
Broadway House Chambers, Bradford
1 High Pavement Chambers, Nottingham
Lincoln House Chambers, Manchester

Non-Portal
30 Park Place, Cardiff

Cheers

I have also applied to Apex, Angel and 30PP and have not heard anything.

Also applied to Iscoed, 9PP, and Civitas and have heard nothing from them either! My refresh button is getting worn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending