The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The 'Ask a current student' thread! (University of Birmingham)

Hello and welcome to the Ask a Birmingham Student thread. :biggrin:

Many thanks to @thesilvermagnolia for starting this thread originally. :smile:

I'm Lit-Lover, I studied English at the University of Birmingham and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. :woo:
Also around to answer questions is @ambzzzz, a recent graduate for Biomedicine. :awesome:
You might want to ask @a-aron any questions about Medicine at Birmingham, as they're a current student studying that here. :yes:
If you have any questions about the application process for Birmingham, feel free to ask @ZombieTheWolf who's a recent applicant for Biomedicine. :smile:

Tag one of us in this thread and we'll be sure to get back to you with an answer to your question(s). :woo:

For a big list of "Ask a Student" threads, click here.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Lots of people have been asking me questions individually, and I think it would be good if everyone could ask questions and get answers!

If you have any questions or queries about life in Birmingham as a city, the uni, accommodation etc. feel free to ask me anything! :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Hi :biggrin: can I ask what the accomodation is like? I'm currently applying for it, I'm only applying for 2 ensuites as its very expensive so what are: tennis courts, maple bank, elgar court and aitken like? :biggrin: thank you!!
Original post by Hooby
Hi :biggrin: can I ask what the accomodation is like? I'm currently applying for it, I'm only applying for 2 ensuites as its very expensive so what are: tennis courts, maple bank, elgar court and aitken like? :biggrin: thank you!!

Tennis courts is nice. It does vary a lot, as some blocks have been recently refurbished and others haven't. However, it looks like they're starting to work on others too. The rooms are a good size, and the kitchens too. The only down side is that the corridor is quite narrow. Maple and Elgar are similar in my opinion. Both nice. Again, the rooms and kitchens are a good size. The social life in all three are good too :smile:

I have not met anyone living in Aitken, so I can't help you there! Sorry!
Reply 4
Thank you soo much thats really helpful! I wasn't really sure about Aitken anyway so Ill give that one a miss! Do you think the tennis courts will have finished all refurbishment by september?? in which case it doesn't matter where I put down for :smile: What are the societies like are there lots? I'm trying to decide between B'ham and York and that was one of the things I didn't find out about for Birmingham :smile: Thanks x
Original post by Hooby
Thank you soo much thats really helpful! I wasn't really sure about Aitken anyway so Ill give that one a miss! Do you think the tennis courts will have finished all refurbishment by september?? in which case it doesn't matter where I put down for :smile: What are the societies like are there lots? I'm trying to decide between B'ham and York and that was one of the things I didn't find out about for Birmingham :smile: Thanks x

I'm not sure. The ones that aren't refurbished are still nice! I don't know about how long it will take etc....

There are loads of societies! Language societies, music, food, art, drama, sports, magazines, journalism...lots!! There are loads of sports teams too :smile:
Reply 6
Brilliant thank you!!! :biggrin: I think ill be joining some of the sporting ones....especially if theres a Birmingham City FC one!! I'm going to a living taster day and a applicant day so I'll look at the tennis courts then :smile: Thank you for all your help! x
Reply 7
Original post by Hooby

i'm in aitken, hiii! haha what about aitken weren't you sure about? :smile: it is the smallest halls on the vale but it's definitely not quiet and boring. most of the flats are like little houses in that you have the kitchen, some bedrooms and a bathroom downstairs and then more bedrooms and another bathroom upstairs which i think is really cool (there are most 6 people in each flat but 9 in one of them). The kitchens and bedrooms in aitken are quite a bit bigger than in other halls..
have you been to one of the accommodation taster days?
Reply 8
Original post by Cszb44
i'm in aitken, hiii! haha what about aitken weren't you sure about? :smile: it is the smallest halls on the vale but it's definitely not quiet and boring. most of the flats are like little houses in that you have the kitchen, some bedrooms and a bathroom downstairs and then more bedrooms and another bathroom upstairs which i think is really cool (there are most 6 people in each flat but 9 in one of them). The kitchens and bedrooms in aitken are quite a bit bigger than in other halls..
have you been to one of the accommodation taster days?

Hi, I just haven't visited Aitken as I have the others, I got mixed reviews from people I've talked to and I wasn't sure how nice they were. My applicant day and taster day are both in february and I can change my preferences for accom on my application after then if necessary. What are the bathrooms/rooms like? :biggrin: Thanks x
Reply 9
Original post by Hooby
Hi, I just haven't visited Aitken as I have the others, I got mixed reviews from people I've talked to and I wasn't sure how nice they were. My applicant day and taster day are both in february and I can change my preferences for accom on my application after then if necessary. What are the bathrooms/rooms like? :biggrin: Thanks x

that's a picture of my room (excuse the mess..), the bit to the right that you can't see has a hand basin (there's one in each room in aitken which is so so so helpful when you have shared bathroom as you can brush your teeth, get a drink of water etc without having to leave your room)

i think the rooms are a great size and the bathrooms are decent, the showers are really powerful and my one at home doesn't really seem up to scratch anymore haha

i'd definitely head up to aitken on the taster day, it's kinda off the beaten path (the other side of the hill up from shackleton to maple bank etc) but it's so so nice!

bugger the picture didn't work.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/73494288@N08/6627296033/in/photostream
How's the Mechanical Engineering department at Bham? Anyone doing mechanical enginerring do you like it? Also how hard is it to get into the cricket team?
Original post by razmazterz
How's the Mechanical Engineering department at Bham? Anyone doing mechanical engineering do you like it? Also how hard is it to get into the cricket team?

I know people who do chemical and mechanical engineering, and they say that they love the course. I like the department itself, as I have been in there a few times :smile:

In terms of the sports teams, they are very competitive, especially hockey, cricket, football, rugby, swimming etc. You will be put through trials until they can bring the numbers down enough.
Reply 12
How's the Mechanical Engineering department at Bham? Anyone doing mechanical enginerring do you like it? Also how hard is it to get into the cricket team?

I study Mechanical Engineering there. It's generally good, has a mix of really enthusiastic, good lecturers, and the not so interesting lecturers. Generally pretty organised though with good resources. First year we had around 22 hours of lectures/tutorials pw.

Any other questions you've got?
Original post by Josh-H
I study Mechanical Engineering there. It's generally good, has a mix of really enthusiastic, good lecturers, and the not so interesting lecturers. Generally pretty organised though with good resources. First year we had around 22 hours of lectures/tutorials pw.

Any other questions you've got?

Do you anything about employability after getting a degree in University Of Birmingham?
Also I got an offer, I asked them when is there an applicants visit day, they told me the days but it was informal interview with tours,
I was wondering if you knew anything what they ask you or tell you in an infromal inetview?
Thanks in advance!
Reply 14
Do you anything about employability after getting a degree in University Of Birmingham?
Also I got an offer, I asked them when is there an applicants visit day, they told me the days but it was informal interview with tours,
I was wondering if you knew anything what they ask you or tell you in an infromal inetview?
Thanks in advance!

Yeah I did the informal interview thing, it really is pretty informal, they won't ask you to do any maths equations or anything. You go in a one on one room with a lecturer, he'll ask you a few questions about why mech eng, why Birmingham, then just have a general chat to figure out if you're passionate about the course really. And I got a free roast dinner when I was there, win!

Employability is pretty good, a lot of large companies come in to talk to us about internships and graduate opportunities. These include BP, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Atkins, and more that I can't remember. But you can find exact statistics on employability at http://unistats.ac.uk
Original post by Josh-H
Yeah I did the informal interview thing, it really is pretty informal, they won't ask you to do any maths equations or anything. You go in a one on one room with a lecturer, he'll ask you a few questions about why mech eng, why Birmingham, then just have a general chat to figure out if you're passionate about the course really. And I got a free roast dinner when I was there, win!

Employability is pretty good, a lot of large companies come in to talk to us about internships and graduate opportunities. These include BP, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Atkins, and more that I can't remember. But you can find exact statistics on employability at http://unistats.ac.uk

About the informal interview, has there ever been a case they've given someone an offer, then the person went to the informal interview and they changed their descion and the person got rejected, I know I am picturing the worst scenarios. Im also guessing they ask manly question about your personal statment aswell no? Roast dinner:O I am a vegetarian:smile:
Are you allowed to choose modules from Electronic Engineering, as it can add more to your CV?
Thank you in advance!
Reply 16
About the informal interview, has there ever been a case they've given someone an offer, then the person went to the informal interview and they changed their descion and the person got rejected, I know I am picturing the worst scenarios. Im also guessing they ask manly question about your personal statment aswell no? Roast dinner:O I am a vegetarian:smile:
Are you allowed to choose modules from Electronic Engineering, as it can add more to your CV?
Thank you in advance!

Yeah they do question your personal statement a bit.

I'm confused as to why they would ask you to go for an interview though if they've already gave you an offer. When I applied Birmingham interviewed EVERYONE. So well done! If they've already gave you an offer I can't see it being removed. But make the effort anyway!

Erm, you don't get hardly any module choices really. Since it's accredited by the Institute Of Mechanical Engineers, they have very specific guidelines about what needs to be taught. There are no module choices in first or second year, and a few in third/fourth.

You do a basic electrical engineering module in year 1 which can be pretty complex, and then in year 2 you do a mechatronics module. Not sure after that.

Hope that helps!
Original post by Josh-H
Yeah they do question your personal statement a bit.

I'm confused as to why they would ask you to go for an interview though if they've already gave you an offer. When I applied Birmingham interviewed EVERYONE. So well done! If they've already gave you an offer I can't see it being removed. But make the effort anyway!

Erm, you don't get hardly any module choices really. Since it's accredited by the Institute Of Mechanical Engineers, they have very specific guidelines about what needs to be taught. There are no module choices in first or second year, and a few in third/fourth.

You do a basic electrical engineering module in year 1 which can be pretty complex, and then in year 2 you do a mechatronics module. Not sure after that.

Hope that helps!

Its because I live in Spain, so I think they have given me an offer rather than interview then an offer, so I asked them what days I can visit them they said visit us on the interview days, so thats why I got confused if they would change their descion:s-smilie:
Reply 18
Hi I just wondered what the business management degree is like in terms of lectures and classes?...Also what are the components of the A2B scheme like? I've just been sent an email to attend a student-shadow day and I wondered what its like exactly.

Thanks
Hi, anyone doing IR, I would love to hear how you are finding it and what is the programme structure... I looked at the web site already and it doesnt really say much :-( Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest