The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The 'Ask a current student' thread! (University of Birmingham)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone doing computer science, whats the average first year timetable like? Will I need to buy my own laptop?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by deathhead
Should I go to the freshers ball? What do I wear, is it worth it? Is freshers fest tickets the only option for freshers, cuz surely there are more freshers than tickets?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191

It was good, but pretty overpriced considering it's at the guild. Dress code is smart casual, I think. Freshers fest is what most people will go to.
Reply 302
Should I go to the freshers ball? What do I wear, is it worth it? Is freshers fest tickets the only option for freshers, cuz surely there are more freshers than tickets?

It's the only official option. I'd say anyone who wants to go can do so, bearing in mind that some people don't drink alcohol or don't like clubbing.

Wasn't a particularly great night in my opinion but i'd still go. Basically just a less busy FAB in suits. Some courses, i know for a fact Medics do, have other events on that night so its basically either a choice of bonding with flatmates or coursemates.
What is the worst accommodation, I'm a bit worried I got a bad deal with tennis courts and still kinda worried about shared bathroom situation.
Reply 305
What is the worst accommodation, I'm a bit worried I got a bad deal with tennis courts and still kinda worried about shared bathroom situation.

i really really wouldn't say that any of the accommodation is bad. tennis courts is great, it's lively and is the closest accommodation on the vale to campus.
what specifically are you worried about?
shared bathroom is no biggie at all, i never had a problem with it last year at all. you'll need to share a bathroom the next few years in a house in selly oak anyway so you might as well get used to it now :smile:
Reply 306
Original post by yahhhhhh
Are you talking specifically about the freshers ball or all the other freshers events like the jagerbomb party or the toga party, because I was of the view that tickets for events like the jagerbomb party or other parties other than freshers ball would be provided on the door - is this an incorrect idea?

I was talking about all of the fresher's events listed on fresherfest.co.uk and I was under the view that tickets would be provided within the first few days of when you arrived at halls because this is what happened to me so unless things are different this year, I think that's what happens.
Original post by Cszb44
i really really wouldn't say that any of the accommodation is bad. tennis courts is great, it's lively and is the closest accommodation on the vale to campus.
what specifically are you worried about?
shared bathroom is no biggie at all, i never had a problem with it last year at all. you'll need to share a bathroom the next few years in a house in selly oak anyway so you might as well get used to it now :smile:

Thanks a lot. Pretty much shared bathroom, probably just my friends putting scary ideas in my head. :smile:
Reply 308
Hi, I was wondering whether you had to pay to get your electrical items PAT tested at UoB? Thanks :smile:
Reply 309
Original post by Hooby
Hi, I was wondering whether you had to pay to get your electrical items PAT tested at UoB? Thanks :smile:

In halls? No, they dont need to be PAT tested.
Dumb question: can you buy food in the vale hub restaurant and stuff if you are self catered, like is it a meal plan only restaurant? And how expensive is it if you are, just thinking if I wanted to eat there.
Also how would you recommend I eased into self catered, I can't imagine having time/being able to/be bothered to cook a Michelin star meal every night?
And where are the nearest like supermarkets and shops? Thanks.
Reply 311
Dumb question: can you buy food in the vale hub restaurant and stuff if you are self catered, like is it a meal plan only restaurant? And how expensive is it if you are, just thinking if I wanted to eat there.
Also how would you recommend I eased into self catered, I can't imagine having time/being able to/be bothered to cook a Michelin star meal every night?

you can buy food in the hub if you're self catered but it's faaairly expensive for what it is if you're not on meal plan.. a standard evening meal would be £4.95 without a drink or salad or anything extra, a ''light bite'' meal is £3.95 and lunches could be anything from £3ish (on campus and in the hub at rio's)

i can't answer the part about easing yourself into self catered because i was catered last year and am going to have the issue of trying to cook for myself this year!! :smile:
Reply 312
Will I be missing out if I don't go to freshers fest or ball....I'm not that keen on clubbing , but dont want to miss out of the fun and meeting people :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 313

Hi im in The Beeches which is a lot nicer in my opinion than tennis courts for arounf the same price. still shared bathroom however. would be willing to swap if you wanteed as i know people staying in tennis courts

In regards to easing into self catered - pasta.
Pasta with chicken, pasta with cheese, pasta with tomato sauce, pasta with veg, pasta with bolognese... etc.
Learn to cook and handle meats properly, for example chicken - cooking times for baking, frying etc.
There are millions of 'student meals' websites online to choose from:
http://studentrecipes.com/
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/favourites/student/
http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/student-recipes

When I started uni I was terrible, ended up eating toast most nights or cereal! But once i'd settled I started cooking fish (which I now can't get enough of) I buy it in advance, freeze it and defrost when I need it. Salmon with pesto is my new favourite, can't get enough. This works with most meats, freeze on day of purchase so you don't have to use it all up before it goes off. Also good with bacon!
Not sure about supermarkets near the Vale as I was in Selly Oak first year, I know a few people who used to go to the Sainsburys in Selly for their shopping, but the easiest thing for me was to order it online. If you can get orders from people in your flat then the delivery costs can be split, and you can share things like bread, butter, milk etc.
Original post by twoforjoy
In regards to easing into self catered - pasta.
Pasta with chicken, pasta with cheese, pasta with tomato sauce, pasta with veg, pasta with bolognese... etc.
Learn to cook and handle meats properly, for example chicken - cooking times for baking, frying etc.
There are millions of 'student meals' websites online to choose from:
http://studentrecipes.com/
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/favourites/student/
http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/student-recipes

When I started uni I was terrible, ended up eating toast most nights or cereal! But once i'd settled I started cooking fish (which I now can't get enough of) I buy it in advance, freeze it and defrost when I need it. Salmon with pesto is my new favourite, can't get enough. This works with most meats, freeze on day of purchase so you don't have to use it all up before it goes off. Also good with bacon!
Not sure about supermarkets near the Vale as I was in Selly Oak first year, I know a few people who used to go to the Sainsburys in Selly for their shopping, but the easiest thing for me was to order it online. If you can get orders from people in your flat then the delivery costs can be split, and you can share things like bread, butter, milk etc.

Thank you so much. I guess I will see how it will all work with my flatmates and ease into it. Buy a few meals from the hub and slowly increase how much cooking I do and difficult it is.
Original post by Cszb44
you can buy food in the hub if you're self catered but it's faaairly expensive for what it is if you're not on meal plan.. a standard evening meal would be £4.95 without a drink or salad or anything extra, a ''light bite'' meal is £3.95 and lunches could be anything from £3ish (on campus and in the hub at rio's)

i can't answer the part about easing yourself into self catered because i was catered last year and am going to have the issue of trying to cook for myself this year!! :smile:

Thank you for the info and good luck haha :smile:
Hey,

I'm studying Bsc Geography, and was wondering how many hours roughly there will be contact time each week?

Also how do the timetables work, eg how many modules do you learn/study for at once?! And are all exams for every module at the end of the year? Thanks
Original post by Lauradmxx
Hey,

I'm studying Bsc Geography, and was wondering how many hours roughly there will be contact time each week?

Also how do the timetables work, eg how many modules do you learn/study for at once?! And are all exams for every module at the end of the year? Thanks

Hi, I study Environmental Science but our courses are pretty similar.
here is a timetable for Geography from last year, giving you an idea of what yours will be like (i hope I'm allowed to do that!). I studied for 5 modules at one time, which went up to 6 in semester 2, which will be similar to you.
I know that one of your modules is examined at the end of both terms 1 and 2, so january and june, and another is examined in june. It's usually a mix, but most do have exams at the end of semester 2.
You will also be allowed to pick MOMDs (modules outside main domain) which I wasn't allowed to do :frown:, but those will slot into free spaces in your timetable. Your timetable and modules may change for semester 2.
In my case you have an hour a week session with your personal tutor, which I think Geography has too, where you discuss how you're getting on, get personal feedback from essays and exams etc.
Have fun! Global Environmental Issues and Earth Systems are modules you will probably have, look out for Ian Phillips - he's a funny one!
Reply 319
Original post by moorbre
Will I be missing out if I don't go to freshers fest or ball....I'm not that keen on clubbing , but dont want to miss out of the fun and meeting people :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't worry too much, you will still meet people because your RAs (residents association) will put on non-alcoholic events for you and you can always buy individual tickets to some of the nights out if you don't want to buy the entire package.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending