The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The 'Ask a current student' thread! (University of Birmingham)

Scroll to see replies

TOP TIP - don't buy from the Costcutter on the Hub or the Spar on campus for supplies e.g. milk, cereal, snacks unless you have to. Really over-priced, by 10-20p in some cases, trot down to Tesco in Five Ways or Aldi in Selly if you want to save your pennies. :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
Lots of people have been asking me questions individually, and I think it would be good if everyone could ask questions and get answers!

If you have any questions or queries about life in Birmingham as a city, the uni, accommodation etc. feel free to ask me anything! :smile:

Hi!
How did you find freshers week- what kind of stuff was available?

Have you tried out the gym and pool? How are you finding those?
Original post by Emily.97
Hi!
How did you find freshers week- what kind of stuff was available?

Have you tried out the gym and pool? How are you finding those?

Freshers was amazeeeeeeeeeeeee. You get the option for Freshers Fest Standard, and Freshers Fest Plus, with Plus you get three more events buuuuut more expensive, you can weigh it up. But the events are local clubs with fancy dress themes e.g. school disco, emergency services and you have pres at your halls, the RAs will be around to look after you/book taxis/get everyone buzzing for the night out. You meet so many people and I can confidently say the people I met at freshers nights out have stayed my more permanent friends at university. The freshers events are great and they also get you acquainted with the city and where you can go for nights out with your friends. It was really really good, one of the nights I stayed sober and still had a fab time so yeah :smile:

Gym and pool... haven't tried those, sorry! My flatmate goes all the time to the gym so I can only assume it's good. I have a friend who's a swimmer and she's liking it sooooo. Yeah, sorry I can't be more helpful than that :biggrin:
Original post by liomeeringca
They are called Mason w__kers and there's a lot of teasing... but people in Maple Bank get called Maple W__nkers. And there's rivalry between Elgar Court and Maple Bank...

It's pretty light-hearted. :biggrin: I've been to pres at Mason and gotten called a Maple W__nker and had 'poverty' yelled at me from Mason windows, but it's 100% fun and not mean. Don't worry about that stuff, the competitiveness is funny and the chants are great, just get stuck in and don't mean what you say! (otherwise you're just mean oops)

Ah okay, well as long as it's not malicious I don't mind :P
Reply 784
Hmmm, I don't live in either but I have friends in TC so I'll do a little extrapolating of what I know...

I think TC is more social, lots of events and they seem interconnected between the blocks, nice RAs that look out for you
Mason has Made in Mason nights out and they seem a rowdy bunch on freshers nights out :biggrin:
Maple Bank (MY HALLS BEST HALLS OK) are so close, everyone loves each other and helps out, amaze pres and nights out, fundraising events too - we had bucket shaking at Bristol with a night out and meal out for £7!
Aitken I'm sure are lovely... but I don't see much of them... I don't actually know where their hall is even though it's on the Vale, but I'm sure they're just the same as us
Liberty Close/Garden/Court are so far away! I know people who live there and the distance from campus is the biggest negative.
IQ is in Five Ways, and I have one friend from there, again nice but farrrrrr
Shackleton is just above the Hub on the Vale, literally has everything you need, I think they're really good for socials and things like that
Selly Oak is a bit rough but it has take aways and Aldi and Lidl and train station and everything and it's cheap and really sociable, please don't feel if you end up in Selly you're missing out. You're also 5-10mins from campus so you're laughing at people on the Vale

Basically wherever you go, you'll find people you like and events to go out on, and please ignore my bias toward Maple :biggrin:

I think that's all the accommodation options? If I missed one out please say and I'll tell you about that one too, haha :biggrin:

That was so helpful thank you so much!:smile:
Hmmm, I don't live in either but I have friends in TC so I'll do a little extrapolating of what I know...

I think TC is more social, lots of events and they seem interconnected between the blocks, nice RAs that look out for you
Mason has Made in Mason nights out and they seem a rowdy bunch on freshers nights out :biggrin:
Maple Bank (MY HALLS BEST HALLS OK) are so close, everyone loves each other and helps out, amaze pres and nights out, fundraising events too - we had bucket shaking at Bristol with a night out and meal out for £7!
Aitken I'm sure are lovely... but I don't see much of them... I don't actually know where their hall is even though it's on the Vale, but I'm sure they're just the same as us
Liberty Close/Garden/Court are so far away! I know people who live there and the distance from campus is the biggest negative.
IQ is in Five Ways, and I have one friend from there, again nice but farrrrrr
Shackleton is just above the Hub on the Vale, literally has everything you need, I think they're really good for socials and things like that
Selly Oak is a bit rough but it has take aways and Aldi and Lidl and train station and everything and it's cheap and really sociable, please don't feel if you end up in Selly you're missing out. You're also 5-10mins from campus so you're laughing at people on the Vale

Basically wherever you go, you'll find people you like and events to go out on, and please ignore my bias toward Maple :biggrin:

I think that's all the accommodation options? If I missed one out please say and I'll tell you about that one too, haha :biggrin:

you missed out oakley court! (aka the best halls) and the rest of pritchatts park, its close to uni (closer than the vale) (although I think either victoria halls or jarratt halls is closer, they're like opposite the road from the uni Im so jealous :P )
Are there any current Psychology students on this thread? Can I ask how many contact hours you have per week and the general format of your teaching? :smile:
Hi :smile: I'm going to be going to University of Birmingham next September (2015) to do BA English with Creative Writing, after being given an unconditional offer. :smile: I'm so excited! Just wondering how many hours of contact time per week (seminars, workshops, lectures) you get, and how the hours are split between Literature and CW? Thank you so much, I'm so excited to start. :smile: Also, just wondering how nice the staff are in general in the English/CW department? Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 788
Hi I was just wondering whether people tend to take guests to the applicant visit days? I've been invited to attend one of them, and I'm fine with going on my own, I would just feel awkward if I was the only one without a guest, or the only one with a guest. It would just be good to know whether there's an even mix of people who do and don't or whether most take or don't take a guest. May seem like a bit of a trivial question but I want to feel comfortable and enjoy the day :smile:

This is really random, but could anyone doing Biochem at Birmingham get in touch with me? I'd be really grateful! thankss
Accommodation question: since there's very limited self catered and ensuite accommodation on campus that's affordable, what do you guys think of Liberty Court. Is it very far from campus? Will I be missing out on the student experience since I'm not living on campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amy092
Hi I was just wondering whether people tend to take guests to the applicant visit days? I've been invited to attend one of them, and I'm fine with going on my own, I would just feel awkward if I was the only one without a guest, or the only one with a guest. It would just be good to know whether there's an even mix of people who do and don't or whether most take or don't take a guest. May seem like a bit of a trivial question but I want to feel comfortable and enjoy the day :smile:

Took my mum along with me, and nearly everyone on my one had a parent/relative with them. It's good to have someone else with you as they might think of questions or notice things you might not have :smile:

All the best!
Original post by fatsherry
Accommodation question: since there's very limited self catered and ensuite accommodation on campus that's affordable, what do you guys think of Liberty Court. Is it very far from campus? Will I be missing out on the student experience since I'm not living on campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wherever you go it will be grand. I live on the Vale and I have friends in Liberty and Pritchatt's and Jarratt... Liberty has a lot of good socials, I promise you you won't miss out :smile:

As for distance, I'm pretty sure it's near Fiveways so like... 20 mins from the Vale... So 40 mins from campus... I think. You'd best ask Google Maps for a straight answer. I know people get the bus to campus :smile:

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 793
Took my mum along with me, and nearly everyone on my one had a parent/relative with them. It's good to have someone else with you as they might think of questions or notice things you might not have :smile:

All the best!

Okay, that's good to know, thank you!:smile:
Original post by aac2618
That was so helpful thank you so much!:smile:

I only just saw this haha, no worries!
Original post by amy092
Okay, that's good to know, thank you!:smile:

No problem :smile:
Is there a big drinking/partying culture at birmingham? Or is it easy to find people less into all that?
Hi I was wondering if the Uni has trasnportation services like a shuttle bus that goes to and from all the residences to the main campus? For example, if your in Chamberlin Hall (the vale) what is the walking time to the law school? or the big clock tower??
Wherever you go it will be grand. I live on the Vale and I have friends in Liberty and Pritchatt's and Jarratt... Liberty has a lot of good socials, I promise you you won't miss out :smile:

As for distance, I'm pretty sure it's near Fiveways so like... 20 mins from the Vale... So 40 mins from campus... I think. You'd best ask Google Maps for a straight answer. I know people get the bus to campus :smile:

Hope this helped :smile:

Thank you. Do you know how convenient it is getting into campus and also how much bus/train fares are? I was wondering if the cost of transport would be worth living outside campus to save money. I'm planning to visit for an applicant day but I'm not sure there will be much information on accommodation on the day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 799
Original post by Charmed_77
Hi I was wondering if the Uni has trasnportation services like a shuttle bus that goes to and from all the residences to the main campus? For example, if your in Chamberlin Hall (the vale) what is the walking time to the law school? or the big clock tower??

Nope, there's only one shuttle bus that goes from the main campus to the Selly Oak campus where Drama is located.

I'm not on the Vale so I'm not sure where Chamberlin Hall is but I have friends in Maple Bank (top of the Vale) and it can take them around 30 minutes sometimes to get to campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending