The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The 'Ask a current student' thread! (University of Birmingham)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by uob
Falling for that?! :rolleyes: There's no trick. I'm not some secret university manager intent on identifying and resolving problems by skulking around student forums. I'm also certainly not wishing your opinion to be disillusionment, but given the general consensus on social life I find it somewhat incomprehensibly.

Who cares
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 81
Original post by internet tough guy
Oh I see, looks alright, but I've been to the university and main redbrick buildings do look better though :tongue:.

So I assume that whole building is for economics, right? and is it just for seminars, as in it doesn't have any lecture halls/theatre?

You said they're moving to the business building, is that a much better place? :s-smilie:, because it just seems a bit pointless to move out just to share a space with another department.

It's where all the staff and academics have their offices, and the undergraduate and postgraduate offices are too. It doesn't have any rooms big enough to be called "lecture halls", but there are rooms used for seminars, similar to classrooms at school I guess.

In terms of moving, I assume part of the premise was that the building is getting a bit old now. The economics department comes under the business school in the academic structure of the university, so they won't be sharing a space so much as centralising the business school's various departments to one place. The part the economics department will be moving to is supposedly not built onto the business school as of yet!
Reply 82
Original post by internet tough guy
I assumed that in lectures, people just sit and listen :s-smilie:

Really but you have not sat thro a UoB MBF/ Econs lecture have you ?

You know what it's like to sit with 129 other people, everything gets amplified, when 20 people start whispering the whole Fg hall can hear it.

When 11 move their chairs same thing happens.

You can't really see the screen if too far away.

There's no real feel/contact with lecturer unless you force the issue.

most of of them are crap anyway.

but you MUST go
Reply 83
Original post by Txi
Stop the fake surprised reaction, it looks so contrite

and it's wrong and you know it.

Bham is not a target school

False, I most certainly do not "know it".

You have a very warped view of the reputation of the course - it's sufficient enough that if a student achieves well and has the right skills also, they can go on to most firms in London.
To add to this, I don't know from which authority you speak regarding the uni as a target uni for employers (are you a graduate employers?), but it's clear from the promotion by firms on campus, and where students actually end up going, you could certainly call it a target uni.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by uob
False, I most certainly do not "know it".

You have a very warped view of the reputation of the course - it's sufficient enough that if a student achieves well and has the right skills also, they can go on to most firms in London.

We are NOT a target school.

This is TSR, Target schools are common knowledge - inescapable fact, sorry.
Reply 85
Original post by Txi
We are NOT a target school.

This is TSR, Target schools are common knowledge - inescapable fact, sorry.

Again, I'm unsure where your evidence for this is.

Here is some actual research that shows on page 27, contrary to your beliefs, that the uni is a target for graduate employers on their list. You may try and debunk it as "not valid" or something, I'm not sure - in your own words "who cares".
Reply 86
Original post by uob
Again, I'm unsure where your evidence for this is.

Here is some actual research that shows on page 27, contrary to your beliefs, that the uni is a target for graduate employers on their list. You may try and debunk it as "not valid" or something, I'm not sure - in your own words "who cares".

What ? pg 27 of this thread ?

LOL now that's really desperate.

MS, GS, JPM were nowhere to be seen during that poxy financial services function they had last Nov.

You would know that if you went -was @ AW building .

btw, I have ALREADY been in IB , I am a mature student.
Reply 87
Original post by Txi
What ? pg 27 of this thread ?

LOL now that's really desperate.

MS, GS, JPM were nowhere to be seen during that poxy financial services function they had last Nov.

You would know that if you went -was @ AW building .

btw, I have ALREADY been in IB , I am a mature student.

Desperate? :s-smilie:
Or rather, some legitimate evidence from a report this year on where employers are interested in.

Are you referring to the Finance and Professional services careers fair? That may be so, but investment banking is only one sector that graduates go into, so you may think you're incredibly enlightened on their interests. I know that the university ensure they have a broad range of different employers from the various sectors, and given how busy it was, they couldn't have had any more there.
A firm not being present at the fair doesn't mean they don't value the degree in that they won't employ someone who has it, granted they have the right skills.
Reply 88
Original post by uob
Desperate? :s-smilie:
Or rather, some legitimate evidence from a report this year on where employers are interested in.

Are you referring to the Finance and Professional services careers fair? That may be so, but investment banking is only one sector that graduates go into, so you may think you're incredibly enlightened on their interests. I know that the university ensure they have a broad range of different employers from the various sectors, and given how busy it was, they couldn't have had any more there.
A firm not being present at the fair doesn't mean they don't value the degree in that they won't employ someone who has it, granted they have the right skills.

Yes, exactly a fair was a good way to describe it, with all their poxie stalls around the edge of the room like a fairground.

Well, now we are coming close to the truth, yes there were non IBs there.

And a good degree from any of the top 30 U's may be valued by them (IBs).

But certainly, I went to the fair with a special eye to look out for the MS's and Goldman's of this world and I was not surprised when I dd not find them there.

So the point is many if not most econ related grads will be looking at that sector and whilst some may get in, Bham is NOT a target and that makes it harder.
Reply 89
Original post by Txi
Yes, exactly a fair was a good way to describe it, with all their poxie stalls around the edge of the room like a fairground.

Well, now we are coming close to the truth, yes there were non IBs there.

And a good degree from any of the top 30 U's may be valued by them (IBs).

But certainly, I went to the fair with a special eye to look out for the MS's and Goldman's of this world and I was not surprised when I dd not find them there.

So the point is many if not most econ related grads will be looking at that sector and whilst some may get in, Bham is NOT a target and that makes it harder.

Careers fairs are not something that only Birmingham does? :confused:
I would assume that pretty much all universities do them who have an interest in where their graduates go. Then yes, it may be more difficult for students to get into investment banking if the firm isn't at a career fair, but if they're genuinely interested then there's support and information at the Careers centre, as well as everything online.
Their absence doesn't mean the uni isn't a target. That research I linked to lists MS, JPM and GS among them, which I have already said shows the uni is a target. You may feel otherwise, if you had a hard time getting a job in one of them or a similar firm, but a single case should not be generalised.

While I've attempted to give a well reasoned argument, you've just given me your raw opinion which, it is clear, is rather biased, and not constructive to the discussion. Thanks for your time.
Reply 90
Original post by uob
Careers fairs are not something that only Birmingham does? :confused:
I would assume that pretty much all universities do them who have an interest in where their graduates go. Then yes, it may be more difficult for students to get into investment banking if the firm isn't at a career fair, but if they're genuinely interested then there's support and information at the Careers centre, as well as everything online.
Their absence doesn't mean the uni isn't a target. That research I linked to lists MS, JPM and GS among them, which I have already said shows the uni is a target. You may feel otherwise, if you had a hard time getting a job in one of them or a similar firm, but a single case should not be generalised.

While I've attempted to give a well reasoned argument, you've just given me your raw opinion which, it is clear, is rather biased, and not constructive to the discussion. Thanks for your time.

You clearly do not know what a Target uni is.

You need to search the plethora of threads on this.

Bottom line - they were NOT there.

Get over it, stop defending the indefensible.

FYI, I am not applying to IBs, I am trying to get out of it, But I do have experience and you'd be well wise to listen up - you'll need it since you are at a non target school and you got rejected.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by Txi
You clearly do not know what a Target uni is.

You need to search the plethora of threads on this.

Bottom line - they were NOT there.

Get over it, stop defending the indefensible.

FYI, I am not applying to IBs, I am trying to get out of it, But I do have experience and you'd be well wise to listen up - you'll need it since you are at a non target school and you got rejected.

Sigh. This thread should not be a discussion of this, but I work with a number of employers, along with the employer liaison office at the university, so I'm sorry but this is something I do know about. You have your opinion, and I'm not seeking to change that, rather give the facts.

Regarding experience, I don't think that logic transfers. Regardless of which uni you attend, it's good to get experience. It's not something I consequently need due to the premise of studying at Birmingham.
I'm getting increasingly confused by the way in which you converse, so am not sure what you mean when you say I "got rejected".
Reply 92
Original post by uob
Sigh. This thread should not be a discussion of this, but I work with a number of employers, along with the employer liaison office at the university, so I'm sorry but this is something I do know about. You have your opinion, and I'm not seeking to change that, rather give the facts.

Regarding experience, I don't think that logic transfers. Regardless of which uni you attend, it's good to get experience. It's not something I consequently need due to the premise of studying at Birmingham.
I'm getting increasingly confused by the way in which you converse, so am not sure what you mean when you say I "got rejected".

You said you hard time getting in, so I'm trying to help you.

Is this how you normally treat people who try to help you ?

Very strange to say the least
Reply 93
Original post by Txi
You said you hard time getting in, so I'm trying to help you.

Is this how you normally treat people who try to help you ?

Very strange to say the least

Getting in to investment banking? I do not want to go into that sector. Your "help" is completely unwarranted so no need to act innocent in your intentions. I'm more than capable of coming to my own conclusions an making my own decisions, and am well on my way to getting where I want to after graduation, thank you.
Reply 94
3rd year philosophy undergrad, spent first year in tennis courts (on the vale) taken part in the newspaper and a sports team (not one of the uni ones). Birmingham is a quality uni with a quality reputation, I would recommend it to anyone.

Just to wade in on the little debate going on here.....I don't like to flame but uob whoever you are, you come across real conceited; talking as though your word is law/fact. I think you make a valid point in saying that the halls you are in really affects what you would recommend, and that socially you can have as much fun in any one of the halls as another. I think the advantage of the Vale is that it is central and the majority of people you meet outside of your own halls will be on the Vale or Pritchatts park (the most central halls). So internally yeah the social life of any hall can be great, but if you want to branch out a bit the Vale is definitely more convenient. Furthermore Hunters Court, The Beeches, QHC etc are all more than a thirty minute walk, whereas on the Vale and Pritchatts it ranges from 10-25mins. As someone who has done a bit of extra-curricular I can safely say it affects your ability to do stuff if you are far from campus, I know a lot of the people I play sport with didn't bother in first year because their halls were too far away.

Secondly this guild business, the guild ARE tossers. They are out to make money and promote the reputation of the uni, beyond that they do not give a monkey's about Joe Bloggs student. The guild is a 'fab' building and has a lot of great services for students (im sure that facilities wise our union is right up there) but it is run by a bunch of massive douchebags. This probably won't affect your uni life that much though, it certainly hasn't mine.

Also the target uni's thing is true, Birmingham uni has definitely not been a target uni for the last few years (if ever as far as i know). There is no definitive list but if you search around the net you can get a good idea. This is not to say that it is bad for grad jobs, far from it, you just aren't as sought after as someone from oxbridge, durham, warwick, bristol etc.
In fact everything uob says about careers is basically a load of tripe, I have whored myself out to gradschemes over the last year and haven't bothered with the careers department once. The fact that employers come to our uni shows they are willing to recruit from us but beyond that is meaningless, you will not get a job by visiting a stall at a careers fair, you will just learn about the gradscheme, which you could do by sitting at home and going on wikijobs. The only way the uni can help you with careers is if your too dull to do the research yourself, or if they have some kind of special relationship with a particular employer, or if I guess the uni is particularly respected for say tennis racket research and you wanna make tennis rackets and learnt from Mr tennis racket research god (purely hypothetical example).

ps again I hate to flame, but I hate to keep my mouth shut more so uob, you seem like an absolute keeno (very keen on doing well academically) who is really involved with doing for/with the guild (work with the careers liason officer blah blah blah) who is a bit smug (sorted out after graduation thanks blah blah blah). This is absolutely fine and will probably stand you in good stead for life and isn't that much of a bad thing I guess BUT you are not representative of the "average student" if there is one.

pps Target Uni's, jeeees you have no idea. Just because a company sends a poxy stall to our careers fair does not mean they are targeting us, not in the sense that the Target Uni's (capital letters for nouns, cos they are an actual bloody thing) are targeted. Basically there is a group of uni's, dunno how many, about ten or something, that the FS sector and IB's particularly look to recruit most of their grads from, because that is where they think the quality is. But what kind of idiot recruiter wouldn't send a stall to a decent redbrick like bham where there might be some (not as many as the Target Uni's [see its that noun thing again]) potential grads. They are just being thorough. But at the end of the day Birmingham is a good enough uni to get you considered for any gradscheme as long as you personally stack up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by GCarrots
3rd year philosophy undergrad, spent first year in tennis courts (on the vale) taken part in the newspaper and a sports team (not one of the uni ones). Birmingham is a quality uni with a quality reputation, I would recommend it to anyone.

Just to wade in on the little debate going on here.....I don't like to flame but uob whoever you are, you come across real conceited; talking as though your word is law/fact. I think you make a valid point in saying that the halls you are in really affects what you would recommend, and that socially you can have as much fun in any one of the halls as another. I think the advantage of the Vale is that it is central and the majority of people you meet outside of your own halls will be on the Vale or Pritchatts park (the most central halls). So internally yeah the social life of any hall can be great, but if you want to branch out a bit the Vale is definitely more convenient. Furthermore Hunters Court, The Beeches, QHC etc are all more than a thirty minute walk, whereas on the Vale and Pritchatts it ranges from 10-25mins. As someone who has done a bit of extra-curricular I can safely say it affects your ability to do stuff if you are far from campus, I know a lot of the people I play sport with didn't bother in first year because their halls were too far away.

Secondly this guild business, the guild ARE tossers. They are out to make money and promote the reputation of the uni, beyond that they do not give a monkey's about Joe Bloggs student. The guild is a 'fab' building and has a lot of great services for students (im sure that facilities wise our union is right up there) but it is run by a bunch of massive douchebags. This probably won't affect your uni life that much though, it certainly hasn't mine.

Also the target uni's thing is true, Birmingham uni has definitely not been a target uni for the last few years (if ever as far as i know). There is no definitive list but if you search around the net you can get a good idea. This is not to say that it is bad for grad jobs, far from it, you just aren't as sought after as someone from oxbridge, durham, warwick, bristol etc.
In fact everything uob says about careers is basically a load of tripe, I have whored myself out to gradschemes over the last year and haven't bothered with the careers department once. The fact that employers come to our uni shows they are willing to recruit from us but beyond that is meaningless, you will not get a job by visiting a stall at a careers fair, you will just learn about the gradscheme, which you could do by sitting at home and going on wikijobs. The only way the uni can help you with careers is if your too dull to do the research yourself, or if they have some kind of special relationship with a particular employer, or if I guess the uni is particularly respected for say tennis racket research and you wanna make tennis rackets and learnt from Mr tennis racket research god (purely hypothetical example).

ps again I hate to flame, but I hate to keep my mouth shut more so uob, you seem like an absolute keeno (very keen on doing well academically) who is really involved with doing for/with the guild (work with the careers liason officer blah blah blah) who is a bit smug (sorted out after graduation thanks blah blah blah). This is absolutely fine and will probably stand you in good stead for life and isn't that much of a bad thing I guess BUT you are not representative of the "average student" if there is one.

pps Target Uni's, jeeees you have no idea. Just because a company sends a poxy stall to our careers fair does not mean they are targeting us, not in the sense that the Target Uni's (capital letters for nouns, cos they are an actual bloody thing) are targeted. Basically there is a group of uni's, dunno how many, about ten or something, that the FS sector and IB's particularly look to recruit most of their grads from, because that is where they think the quality is. But what kind of idiot recruiter wouldn't send a stall to a decent redbrick like bham where there might be some (not as many as the Target Uni's [see its that noun thing again]) potential grads. They are just being thorough. But at the end of the day Birmingham is a good enough uni to get you considered for any gradscheme as long as you personally stack up.

Not entirely sure what you're doing for it to take in excess of 30 minutes to get from Hunter to Uni!

But RE: The guild stuff... bang on. they are all a bunch of careerists who have nothing but their own CV's at heart.
Reply 96

It seems you've taken some of what I've said out of context.

I think I've already spoke a lot about what it is to be on a hall not on the Vale, and you say that you know a lot of people who were put off from doing sport because they lived further away from campus. Fair enough, but I also know a lot of people who did get involved with sport who didn't live so close to campus. I don't feel there's a strong correlation there and could have just been a problem for a few.

With regards to the Guild, you're generalising every single person who works there into this umbrella name. At no point have I been referring to the higher level at which it's run, which I thought was clear as I just mentioned the social life. They do fantastically in that respect with the club nights and support for societies. I'm not too concerned with the officers being careerists or anything, but the money spent in the guild does actually go back into its services (ARC, Job Zone, Student Development) - it's not there to make a profit.

As for careers fairs, yes, they won't get you a job, and are literally there for you to have a brief chat with employers. You say you've not bothered with the careers department - fine, but it's not just there to help you decide your career. If you've had trouble getting into a grad scheme then possibly you're lacking some experience, which they could have helped find. Then at the interview stage, they do mock interviews.
I'm not going to continue my argument on the uni as a target as you seem intent on ignoring the evidence and explanation I provided. You've then stated that Birmingham is good enough to get you into a grad scheme if you stack up (which I agree with), so does it really matter whether it's a "target" or not in any one's perspective?

I'm not fussed about "flaming", but just trying to give what I feel is an honest perspective of the prospects of students at Birmingham. It is obviously never going to be the same for every single student, and I may not be the average student, but it's not conceited to actually impart some knowledge. You have a perspective of it, but shock horror, that might not be representative. Similarly the one I've described may not be, but I'm giving my view from what I've picked up on and refuse to accept that I should stay quiet because you feel otherwise.

I'm not involved with the Guild and I wouldn't say that I'm smug about my career, but rather gave a response to this other guy giving unwanted advice. I'd say that someone who isn't on their way to getting to where they want to after graduation has done something wrong along the line, as there is tonnes of support.

To add to this, I expect you may respond, but I'm hoping this will end quickly. We obviously disagree, and the conversation is hardly constructive - let's allow this thread to go back to people asking students questions, rather than students arguing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 97

LOL, apparently you attend to the same uni as I do.

Yeah, the guild, the buildings are all great - so what? like you say they have to be manned and administered by the right people with the right attitude and so far in line with your experience, I find most of the SUCK.

The guild is only for insiders.

We could've run down huts as LTs but if the lecturer is excellent then we are going to benefit no matter where the physical place is.

I mean look @ some of the buildings Oxford - Canary Wharf it is not, but no one would doubt the quality of teaching there.

I second your experiences with the so called careers office - useless is the term that comes to mind. My advice would be do your own research and applications - will be much faster and more efficient than using our poxy CO.

You have also highlighted another oft over looked problem with Bham - TOO big physically, and unwarranted by the size of the catchment area.

We ARE NOT LA, this is poxy old Bham, End of.

The result is actually that there is a lot of time wasted on walking about, as even the halls are not truly on Campus, they are slightly off set which adds to the problem.

Also, to echo your experience with the total commercialisation of the place which is solely aimed at ripping us Joe Blogs students off.

And promotion is one thing but UoB shamelessly tries to force feed and ram their " name " down people's throats - won't work , is NOT working.

So good luck to you, bro, whatever you do from now on.
Reply 98
Is the Vale a good place to live at B'ham? :smile: I've applied for most of my accom there and liked it at the open day I but was wondering what it like to live there as an actual student :smile: Thanks x
Reply 99
Original post by Hooby
Is the Vale a good place to live at B'ham? :smile: I've applied for most of my accom there and liked it at the open day I but was wondering what it like to live there as an actual student :smile: Thanks x

Which halls in particular did you apply for?

You can't really go wrong with the vale! It's bigger than Pritchatts and everything is more focussed around the vale. There is the slight downside that if you live at the top of the vale you have a longer walk to uni, but nobody ever seemed to mind it .. as you won't know any different! I stayed in Tennis Courts which was lush, I'd definitely recommend it. Maple Bank was my second choice as it's cheap and everyone who lived there seemed to enjoy it (and that's at the top of the vale). Mason is situated nicely and the flats are all nicely done - a tad expensive though (but it is ensuite..).

Everyone enjoys wherever they stay though so you can't really go wrong, and you'll probably find that a lot of course friends live on the vale too so predrinks will more than likely take place closer to you (saves you the walk to Pritchatts or wherever..)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending