The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The 'Ask a current student' thread! (University of Birmingham)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1120
Original post by jsjsjs464646
Hi,
I haven't been able to visit Birmingham. in your opinion, what type of student does the university attract? What is the general atmosphere/'vibe' like?Does the night life/social scene dominate?

Holding a Clearing place but concerned about whether I'll fit in - I much prefer a studious atmosphere to one that is extremely relaxed.

From my experience going to open days at Birmingham uni, it attracts all types, such as hard working people but also just people who want to party, it all depends on your accommodation, the vale is known for it's social atmosphere.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 1121
Original post by jesuisfinio
Hello, is there like an official university of Birmingham freshers facebook page? I have seen loads of them already and i'm just not sure which is the official/real one.

yes there is, its a closed group, just search University of Birmingham freshers 2016-2017 on facebook, around 1.5k - 2k people on it
Original post by IoJo2
From my experience going to open days at Birmingham uni, it attracts all types, such as hard working people but also just people who want to party, it all depends on your accommodation, the vale is known for it's social atmosphere.

So if I'm looking to enclose myself in a bubble of really studious, intelligent people rather than encounter the mixture Ithat I was familiar with at sixth form, would you say Bham isn't the place to go?
Original post by IoJo2
yes there is, its a closed group, just search University of Birmingham freshers 2016-2017 on facebook, around 1.5k - 2k people on it

found it, thank you :smile:
found it, thank you :smile:

"*Please note this group is not affiliated with the university. This group will be used as a discussion group to help prospective and current students interact."

That's not an official University of Birmingham FB page, and it leads to fake hall pages. If you know what hall you are I can get you the link to their official group, which is run by the Residents Association, second years that look out for freshers.
Original post by dwfallon
"*Please note this group is not affiliated with the university. This group will be used as a discussion group to help prospective and current students interact."

That's not an official University of Birmingham FB page, and it leads to fake hall pages. If you know what hall you are I can get you the link to their official group, which is run by the Residents Association, second years that look out for freshers.

oh yes please that would be helpful...it's liberty court
Anyone do straight chemistry? What's it like? What grades did you get at A-level?
Do you have a link to Chamberlain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know how many course hours it will be for psychology bsc?
oh yes please that would be helpful...it's liberty court

I don't think I'm allowed to post links, but if you search for "The Official Liberty Court Group 2016/17" you should find it.
i did law, anyone who wants to ask a question about law at UoB just quote me!
Original post by woodchuck
i did law, anyone who wants to ask a question about law at UoB just quote me!

Hi,

I wanted to ask, If I were to buy all my books second hand and borrowing from the library, how much do you think the total cost would be for the year?

Thank you:smile:
Original post by Studybuddy5721
Hi,

I wanted to ask, If I were to buy all my books second hand and borrowing from the library, how much do you think the total cost would be for the year?

Thank you:smile:

second hand books probably £10 each, new books probably £25-40. with 4 subjects, thats around £50 probably.

the library will have all the books but at best will be 7 day loans. i'd just buy them or share a copy with a coursemate if you are really hard up, its not worth the hassle.

most subjects barely change, but will merely be updated by a couple of new cases. what i recommend is to buy a shorter up to date book on the reading list, and buy a second hand case and materials book to give different opinions and depth.
Original post by woodchuck
second hand books probably £10 each, new books probably £25-40. with 4 subjects, thats around £50 probably.

the library will have all the books but at best will be 7 day loans. i'd just buy them or share a copy with a coursemate if you are really hard up, its not worth the hassle.

most subjects barely change, but will merely be updated by a couple of new cases. what i recommend is to buy a shorter up to date book on the reading list, and buy a second hand case and materials book to give different opinions and depth.

Thank you so much for your help! I just wanted to clarify what did you mean by shorter upto date book? specifically shorter?:smile:
Original post by Studybuddy5721
Thank you so much for your help! I just wanted to clarify what did you mean by shorter upto date book? specifically shorter?:smile:

Textbooks vary in length, a sborter book will have less detail and fewer pages, but will be more concise. The longer books will have much more detail and save you the hassle of having to look up cases for seminars, but may cost more. For this reason if cash is an issue id always try and have an up to date boook.you are after all paying to be there so maximise your chances of doing well.
Original post by NeasyPeasy
Do you have a link to Chamberlain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you search Facebook for "The Official Chamberlain Hall Group 2016/17" you should find it easy enough. If you see a pinned post from Kiki, one of the RAs, you'll know you're on the right one.
Original post by Archdukes
Can I ask if anyone got in without getting the grade requirements?

Original post by mia.t
The entry grades for my course (English Language) are AAB however at the moment i see it as unlikely that i will get that:frown: does anyone know of any instances where people have got accepted on lower grades??

I got in for LLB Law with AAC instead of the required AAA.
I'd like to know what your opinion on the lecturers and the lectures is? I read that for my course (biological sciences) only 27% of my time will be spent in lectures and I thought this was pretty low. Also, do the lecturers seem to care a lot for teaching or does it seem that they'd rather be doing their research?
Any pharmacy students at university of Birmingham
Hi. Questions to UoB Computer Science students...

1. If I applied with A*AB predictions, am I likely to get an offer?
2. If I achieve A*/A/C will I get rejected? (for the sake of the scenario, let's consider I already have an A in the required subject and in an unrelated subject I have achieved a C)

Quick Reply

Latest