The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The 'Ask a current student' thread! (University of Birmingham)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Shennie
Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me? (and sorry if someone has already asked this)

I'm doing the history course and I would like to know how many hours a week etc the course will take up?
Also, how easy is it to take the extra modules, for example maths?

Is there a lot of opportunities for dance in the area (ballet, tap, jazz etc NOT zumba/salsa)? Even if they're not part of the uni that's fine, just Birmingham as a place :smile:

How competitive are the music societies? Birmingham still offers a music degree, does this mean I won't be able to join some of the bands etc because I'm not good enough?

As a whole, do people enjoy being there? (don't post if you're going to be unnecessarily nasty, honest opinions please!)

Thank you in advance!

Hey,

I do not know for definite about the History course but from friends who take it, I believe you only have around 6-8 hours of contact time a week but are expected to do a lot of reading around the subject and essays. I know nothing about other modules - sorry.

Dance. In the Guild of Students, we have BUDS (Birmingham University Dance Society) who beginner, intermediate and advance classes in a number of different dance styles including the three you listed and others. They also put on an annual show displaying all their talents (and a very good show it was this year).

We also have opportunities for zumba, salsa, latin, ballroom etc etc through a number of other more specific societies. Check out: http://guildofstudents.com/content/793243/student_groups_and_volunteering/student_groups__societies/join_a_student_group_or_society/

Music Societies.
There are a number of specific music taste societies such as metal, rock, jazz etc which can be found at the above link. However, the Music Department also has UMS (University Music Society) - this is not Guild affiliated but still open to anyone. More details of what they do can be found here: http://ums.org.uk/

Do people enjoy being there?
Naturally, that depends who you talk to but I'll try and give an answer.
University can be whatever you make of it. That goes for any University. If you get involved in the things that you enjoy, and things that you may not have realised you enjoyed, then you will probably love the university and the opportunities it presents. But obviously, if you just attend lectures and sit in your room studying - you may not think it is anything special. So, come along, get involved, meet lots of like-minded people who will probably become friends for life.

Hope that helps,

Hatterfan.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 141
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
Move in weekend will be the 15th/16th/17th of September this year. You will be given one of those dates. There will be lots of events going on; at least something everyday :smile:

Original post by uob
They may not have officially announced it in that its listed on the website, but that's definitely when it will be. There may be a specific moving in date over that weekend for your hall (if you've applied for halls), but if you need to book your flights before they decide or publish this, then they can usually accommodate you so that you can move in on a different day.

Unless your course starts the week of the 1st October, there's only one week between moving in and term officially starting on the 24th. In that week, sometimes called week 0, there'll be fresher, society and sports fairs in the day, and other fresher events in the evenings etc.

Original post by Hatterfan
As has been said, move-in weekend should be the weekend of 15th/16th September allowing for the 11 week term to begin on September 24th through to December 7th. With regard to specific move-in dates - these will be given to you when you are allocated a hall. They try to split the halls across Saturday and Sunday (and flats across morning and afternoon sessions) because the Vale / Pritchatts Villages cannot accommodate that many people moving in at the same time.

Welcome Week is Week 0 of term and will probably consist of the Fresher Fair (local and national companies giving out lots of freebies etc), Sports Fair (Sign up to all of the Universities Sports teams and social sport opportunities) and Society Fair (chance to see what the Guild has to offer and sign up to nearly 200 societies).

Freshers Fest will also run at this time, offering both day and nighttime activities and usually covers Weeks 0 and 1, and will feature the Fresher Ball.

Specific details of all of this will not be released until early to mid-August. This is because most of the events and specifics are still being arranged, and staff are being recruited to run it, and also because most students won't know what university they are studying at until mid-August when the A-level results are released.

All of the above information is guess work based on the past three years.

Exactly. My course starts on 1 Oct. Thanks for all the info. Can't wait to be in Birmingham! Really love the beautiful green campus!
Hi im thinking about putting Birmingham as my choice for IR with Political science and i was wondering how is the course like, are the teachers good enough, is Birmingham a good uni for it...Also, i have been thinking of putting Mason as a my 1st accomodation choice because it looks the best and most modern out of all the ones...Do you think its a good choice or would you suggest an other (must be en-suite though!)
Original post by PhilipAl94
Hi im thinking about putting Birmingham as my choice for IR with Political science and i was wondering how is the course like, are the teachers good enough, is Birmingham a good uni for it...Also, i have been thinking of putting Mason as a my 1st accomodation choice because it looks the best and most modern out of all the ones...Do you think its a good choice or would you suggest an other (must be en-suite though!)

I can't tell you anything about the course, but I am living in Mason at the moment.....Its nice, but VERY expensive, If anything, overpriced. I prefer my friends rooms who are living in Elgar Court :smile: Have a look at those :smile:
I can't tell you anything about the course, but I am living in Mason at the moment.....Its nice, but VERY expensive, If anything, overpriced. I prefer my friends rooms who are living in Elgar Court :smile: Have a look at those :smile:

I just did and its not really bad, but compared to the Mason it looks kind of old and shabby... Would you recomend the meal plan or should i go for self-catered? And which is the most social accomodation?
I just did and its not really bad, but compared to the Mason it looks kind of old and shabby... Would you recomend the meal plan or should i go for self-catered? And which is the most social accomodation?

There isn't really a 'most social' accommodation, because all of the halls have their own events going on etc. Mason is the biggest, but I wouldn't say its the best...you need to look around for yourself really :smile:....I didn't apply for Mason, but was given it anyway....I'm also on catered: the food is ok, not amazing, but its convenient. If you can cook, I'd go for self-catered; its much more flexible :smile:
There isn't really a 'most social' accommodation, because all of the halls have their own events going on etc. Mason is the biggest, but I wouldn't say its the best...you need to look around for yourself really :smile:....I didn't apply for Mason, but was given it anyway....I'm also on catered: the food is ok, not amazing, but its convenient. If you can cook, I'd go for self-catered; its much more flexible :smile:

So the best for you is Elgar court? Thank you for the replies btw :smile:
So the best for you is Elgar court? Thank you for the replies btw :smile:

Elgar Court, Victoria Halls and maybe Shackleton too :smile:
Reply 148
Hey,

I do not know for definite about the History course but from friends who take it, I believe you only have around 6-8 hours of contact time a week but are expected to do a lot of reading around the subject and essays. I know nothing about other modules - sorry.

Dance. In the Guild of Students, we have BUDS (Birmingham University Dance Society) who beginner, intermediate and advance classes in a number of different dance styles including the three you listed and others. They also put on an annual show displaying all their talents (and a very good show it was this year).

We also have opportunities for zumba, salsa, latin, ballroom etc etc through a number of other more specific societies. Check out: http://guildofstudents.com/content/793243/student_groups_and_volunteering/student_groups__societies/join_a_student_group_or_society/

Music Societies.
There are a number of specific music taste societies such as metal, rock, jazz etc which can be found at the above link. However, the Music Department also has UMS (University Music Society) - this is not Guild affiliated but still open to anyone. More details of what they do can be found here: http://ums.org.uk/

Do people enjoy being there?
Naturally, that depends who you talk to but I'll try and give an answer.
University can be whatever you make of it. That goes for any University. If you get involved in the things that you enjoy, and things that you may not have realised you enjoyed, then you will probably love the university and the opportunities it presents. But obviously, if you just attend lectures and sit in your room studying - you may not think it is anything special. So, come along, get involved, meet lots of like-minded people who will probably become friends for life.

Hope that helps,

Hatterfan.

Thank you for your help: it did help. It kinda reassured me that university is what you make it. The music link was particularly useful so thanks for that!
Shennie
Reply 149
Doubt they will let you take extra modules.
Reply 150
Original post by Shennie

Also, how easy is it to take the extra modules, for example maths?

As a whole, do people enjoy being there? (don't post if you're going to be unnecessarily nasty, honest opinions please!)

Thank you in advance!

Don't know anything about history, except that it apparently involves a lot of reading and self study. However, (that I know of for sure) other than law, and medicine, most of the courses at B'ham seem to require first years to take a MOMD (module outside main discipline) and maths is definitely one of the options available. Your best option is to call the History dept and check though, because there's bound to be some other courses that don't allow you any discretion on which modules you take in the first year.
If it is a MOMD course, then there's an MOMD fair in the first week where you can go and find out abut the options and sign up.

As to the general experience; my first year has been great. Some minor, course specific niggles, but overall, I don't have anything to complain about. It's a nice uni, solid, reasonably well organised with lots of opportunities to do trad student stuff (drinking etc) and less mainstream stuff. I've met a few snotty posh people, but that goes with my subject unfortunately. :wink: The main student body is pretty mixed and I've not really had other than positive experiences, but then I'm a reasonably positive and chilled person so I guess other people's mileage may vary!
Reply 151
" most of the courses at B'ham seem to require first years to take a MOMD (module outside main discipline) "

Sorry, to me this is complete bullcrap.

You can't take courses " outside you main discipline " in econs or business related degrees in your 1st year and I know of no other dept. that let's you do that.

In theory it is possible to do it in your 2nd and 3rd years, but unlikely as that would mean spending your precious options on outside interests, in which case why bother doing the course you're on, you might as well go whole hog and take the other degree.

Also in my experience the other depts. are really paranoid at " outsiders " taking their courses, at least that is what I got. In any case, I spied on them and crashed a number of lectures in biology, maths, geography to name a few and really the results are quite disappointing - maybe this is why they are paranoid.

So the idea that UoB is " welcoming " of a cross educational experience is bullcrap.

Don't come if I were you, you'll be vastly disappointed, you will note of course that the quality of the institution is inverse to the number of hypesters that pop up out of nowhere.

Good places don't need to ram their message down people's throats.
Reply 152
Original post by Txi
" most of the courses at B'ham seem to require first years to take a MOMD (module outside main discipline) "

You can't take courses " outside you main discipline " in econs or business related degrees in your 1st year and I know of no other dept. that let's you do that.

In theory it is possible to do it in your 2nd and 3rd years, but unlikely as that would mean spending your precious options on outside interests, in which case why bother doing the course you're on, you might as well go whole hog and take the other degree.

Also in my experience the other depts. are really paranoid at " outsiders " taking their courses, at least that is what I got. In any case, I spied on them and crashed a number of lectures in biology, maths, geography to name a few and really the results are quite disappointing - maybe this is why they are paranoid.

So the idea that UoB is " welcoming " of a cross educational experience is bullcrap.

Don't come if I were you, you'll be vastly disappointed, you will note of course that the quality of the institution is inverse to the number of hypesters that pop up out of nowhere.

Good places don't need to ram their message down people's throats.

I study Chemical Engineering and have to study a module outside main discipline, all types of engineers do. Almost everyone I know has to study one, geographers, psychologists, physicists, english students, history students and hispanic studies students all do off the top of my head..

As for spending your 'precious' time on other interests, I quite like that we do a module that isn't our core subject, I like that my degree is slightly more rounded by the fact that I can do a language.

Check your facts before coming out with such a brash statement in future, thanks :wink:
Reply 153
Original post by Txi

You can't take courses " outside you main discipline " in econs or business related degrees in your 1st year and I know of no other dept. that let's you do that

Well this is incorrect. Most courses offer the opportunity to take modules out of the main discipline, and although some strict areas such as Medicine, Business and Law do not allow it, the Economics course certainly does. Indeed, they range from language modules to politics and history. Provided there aren't any timetabling clashes, its usually fine with the respective departments. As has been said, they provide a broader academic experience.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 154
This is kind of early but I'm thinking about doing English Literature at Birmingham and I just wondered what the course is like? Do people enjoy it etc?
Reply 155
Original post by Txi

Okay, so I am going to respond to this because you've slagged off my University with some completely unsubstantiated claims.

Loads of courses offer a MOMD to its students (for many it is actually compulsory - so I'm guessing it won't take away from your main discipline, and lets be real - we are talking a 10 credit module which is 1/12 of your year!)

To support this, look at the University website - it has several pages about MOMD... including this one, the MOMD Fair - because that many people take a MOMD, it needs a fair!

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/welcome/events/MOMDAll.aspx

However, you are right that you cannot do a MOMD if you do a Business Degree. This is because the Business School do not offer to take other courses students, and therefore the other courses won't take us. This is purely down to size but also we do a very varied subject anyway.

And now on to your bad mouthing of our University - Dude! Really?

You are going to base the fact that the University is not Welcoming because they do not offer a MOMD... which they do? I'm guessing that since you know very little about the University that you have spent the majority of your time cooped up in your room, not actually getting out there and enjoying all that the University has to offer - in which case, it probably wasn't welcoming to you - but thats because you didn't give it the chance.

If you get out there and use and benefit from all the opportunities that the University of Birmingham has to offer itself, as well as the extended opportunities provided by the Guild of Students, you will find that the UoB is a fantastic place to spend three years.

Rant Over.
Reply 156
Okay, so I am going to respond to this because you've slagged off my University with some completely unsubstantiated claims.

Loads of courses offer a MOMD to its students (for many it is actually compulsory - so I'm guessing it won't take away from your main discipline, and lets be real - we are talking a 10 credit module which is 1/12 of your year!)

To support this, look at the University website - it has several pages about MOMD... including this one, the MOMD Fair - because that many people take a MOMD, it needs a fair!

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/welcome/events/MOMDAll.aspx

However, you are right that you cannot do a MOMD if you do a Business Degree. This is because the Business School do not offer to take other courses students, and therefore the other courses won't take us. This is purely down to size but also we do a very varied subject anyway.

And now on to your bad mouthing of our University - Dude! Really?

You are going to base the fact that the University is not Welcoming because they do not offer a MOMD... which they do? I'm guessing that since you know very little about the University that you have spent the majority of your time cooped up in your room, not actually getting out there and enjoying all that the University has to offer - in which case, it probably wasn't welcoming to you - but thats because you didn't give it the chance.

If you get out there and use and benefit from all the opportunities that the University of Birmingham has to offer itself, as well as the extended opportunities provided by the Guild of Students, you will find that the UoB is a fantastic place to spend three years.

Rant Over.

I thought I might add to this the range of possible MOMDs that current 1st year students that have that option could have taken: http://www.as.bham.ac.uk/cdu/students/LC_MOMD_2011-12__Booklet_Version3_with_index.pdf
Reply 157
Lousy university, no amount of ' momd ', or official hypesters are going to change that.

Get over it.
Reply 158
I really enjoyed the living taster today and am really glad I firmed B'ham :smile: I applied for accom in early January but want to change my choices, the date that I submitted my application will still stay the same won't it? I don't want to be at the bottom of the pile having applied earlier :smile: and also I need to choose between Tennis Courts and Maple Bank for my first choice which would everyone reccommend? I really liked Maple Bank and Tennis Courts was pretty nice but I can't decide between them. Any advice from current students on this? Thanks in advance!!
Original post by Hooby
I really enjoyed the living taster today and am really glad I firmed B'ham :smile: I applied for accom in early January but want to change my choices, the date that I submitted my application will still stay the same won't it? I don't want to be at the bottom of the pile having applied earlier :smile: and also I need to choose between Tennis Courts and Maple Bank for my first choice which would everyone reccommend? I really liked Maple Bank and Tennis Courts was pretty nice but I can't decide between them. Any advice from current students on this? Thanks in advance!!

Your place in the accommodation queue will stay the same so don't worry about that :smile:
I'm actually having the exact same predicament of choosing between Tennis Courts and Maple Bank. They're pretty similar I thought when I saw them today but I thought that Tennis Courts seemed slightly bigger (albeit more expensive). Any advice from current students would be welcomed by me too :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending