Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Physics with foundation year at Sussex.

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing a HEFC (higher education foundation course) at Newcastle college in physics, chemistry and maths, looking for universities that I'm interested in and that accept these as A level equivalents have been a proper headache but Sussex was one of them.

The only problem is that after contacting the admissions team they recommended I apply for the Bsc with foundation year, whereas the other 4 universities recomended I just apply for the 3 year Bsc in physics.

Has anyone done or doing the physics with foundation year at sussex? If so what're your opinions on the course, I'm expecting the foundation year to be pretty much what I'm doing at the moment. What are the modules you study in the foundation year?

Any advice and help is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Heya Kvitty,

I currently do the Foundation Physics and Astronomy course at Sussex, I didn't apply to it but a 3 year bsc, they changed it as I didn't get the required a levels.

The course itself is basically a more focused version of A levels that you do in a year. I like the course, I have learn't much more than I could of at college as I am being taught by masters in their subject who know what is important and what isn't for your degree and are more about knowledge then trying to get pass a qualification.

If you are going to get a levels equal to or above the standard, and you feel you are ready for the degree, you can skip the foundation year but otherwise, its a good way to make sure your 100% up to speed!

If you have any more questions do ask!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiPro)
    Heya Kvitty,

I currently do the Foundation Physics and Astronomy course at Sussex, I didn't apply to it but a 3 year bsc, they changed it as I didn't get the required a levels.

The course itself is basically a more focused version of A levels that you do in a year. I like the course, I have learn't much more than I could of at college as I am being taught by masters in their subject who know what is important and what isn't for your degree and are more about knowledge then trying to get pass a qualification.

If you are going to get a levels equal to or above the standard, and you feel you are ready for the degree, you can skip the foundation year but otherwise, its a good way to make sure your 100% up to speed!

Hey thanks for the reply.
    I got invited for an interview and tour but since I live 500+ miles away I had to send the letter back declining the interview as I couldn't afford to get there just for a couple of hours .. but asked to be considered anyway.

I'm not doing A levels I'm doing an access to HEFC course so I guess the requirements might be higher for me to get onto the course, what results did you get in A levels?
    Do you find the course much better than A levels? Is the course taught on university campus?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiPro)
    Heya Kvitty,

Hi. Im in AS year now and I've been thinking about doing economics or psychology at Uni and have taken AS appropriate subjects (economics, psychology, politics and English) but I've recently reconsidered my whole thinking and now want to do this Phy + Astronomy course at Sussex. I was wondering what topics and things your first year has contained and how you're finding it assuming you didn't do maths or physics at ALevel? Also do you know anything about the 1st year of the physics and astronomy course like how much of it is relative to Astronomy? Thanks in advance for any help.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 30, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.