Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To live within optimism or pessimism?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello all.
    I'm interested to explore some of your outlooks on studying and living.
    I'm a self proclaimed optimist on most things; however I've noticed a spate in pessimism around my friends approaching their january exams.
    Both outlooks have pro's and cons e.g, pessimists may have a closer view on reality in comparison to optimists however optimists can see bad events as motivation for change or seeking surpassing careers.
    I have noticed the more optimistic I am, the harder I motivate myself to study.
    So are you an optimist or pessimist and why?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    optimistic, noticed what a massive change in performance that a small change in attitude can make by aiming high you push yourself and get the best you can for yourself
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I generally am a pessimist but I have confidence in my ability and generally get what I am expected in terms of exam results.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm negative about everything because I'm naturally a very miserable person who moans about everything.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Pessimist- you can't really disappoint me
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would say I'm a realist but others say pessimist.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I like to think of two things when this question comes up:

'There is infinite hope, but not for us'.

'Do not despair, one of the thieves was saved. Do not presume, one of the thieves was damned'.
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I really like to be too optimistic anymore tbh. Too many times I've often put a lot of effort into something, and keep hoping and really thinking that the best thing does happen, and when the actual result is really bad and disappointing, my mood comes crashing down and my hopes are so crushed . I'm not sure I can do it anymore :sigh:.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a pessimist a.k.a. a realist.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    You need both. They are not mutually exclusive. You can only be an optimist after being a pessimist or experienced it another way and vice versa.....
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm generally an optimist although I can be very pessimistic.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I'm not sure I really like to be too optimistic anymore tbh. Too many times I've often put a lot of effort into something, and keep hoping and really thinking that the best thing does happen, and when the actual result is really bad and disappointing, my mood comes crashing down and my hopes are so crushed . I'm not sure I can do it anymore :sigh:.
    I hope things get better for you soon .

(Original post by xDave-)
    I'm a pessimist a.k.a. a realist.
    I don't agree that they're the same thing tbh. If things can reasonably be expected to go well and you do expect that you're still a realist but not a pessimist.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a pessimist but I'm trying to be more optimistic.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to be an optimist. But then again, although I would still think that I am an optimist, life has shown me that there's nothing to be optimistic about but an impending doom whenever we reach the summit of our success.

I'm really sorry for the negativity lol.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curtis871)
    I don't agree that they're the same thing tbh. If things can reasonably be expected to go well and you do expect that you're still a realist but not a pessimist.
    That was more of a joke. Naturally there are some things that can go well, but often things don't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a pessimist because I trust nothing and no-one and am scared of disappointment. at least I've the steel to admit it.
    what's the point in optimism? it doesn't make a person happy - not that pessimism does, but that seems to be the aim of optimists.
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curtis871)
    I hope things get better for you soon .

Thanks. I hope so too.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm usually very very optimistic or very very pessimistic.

I guess I didn't help at all here. Sorry. :ashamed:
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm working on being optimistic. Normally I try to prepare myself for the worst, hope for the best. However, hoping for the best is disappointing in itself when what you're hoping for doesn't happen, so I figure that pessimism is a regressive circle. Still, one can hope that I'll be more optimistic, but that's a bit counter intuitive to what I just said. Confused.
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am optimistically pessimistic

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 16, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.